Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't even had my Bolt 48 hours yet, but I was wondering if ANYONE has been successful connecting their Bolt to their home network? I typed in the proper network name and password, but the Bolt still can't seem to find it. I have also selected the proper security WPA2, with no luck. The On-Star setup funkiness and this weirdness are the only two things that have been difficult about owning a Bolt so far.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I haven't even had my Bolt 48 hours yet, but I was wondering if ANYONE has been successful connecting their Bolt to their home network? I typed in the proper network name and password, but the Bolt still can't seem to find it. I have also selected the proper security WPA2, with no luck. The On-Star setup funkiness and this weirdness are the only two things that have been difficult about owning a Bolt so far.
Connected mine without issue. One thing to make sure is that you are within range. The wifi transmitter/receiver in the Bolt is not very strong. They only wanted the range of the wifi to be 50 feet so the receiver/transmitter are built to that. So if you are 20 or more feet away and you have multiple walls or something interfering you might not have a strong enough signal to connect.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a bay station pretty close to the garage, with not a lot in between, but that could be something. I will try connecting to the wifi hotspot on my phone to see if I can nail down whether or not it's a distance issue to the hotspot.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a bay station pretty close to the garage, with not a lot in between, but that could be something. I will try connecting to the wifi hotspot on my phone to see if I can nail down whether or not it's a distance issue to the hotspot.
Our phones have much stronger transmitters/receivers than the Bolt does. My phone will stay connected to my home wifi for 300 + feet. So your phone will certainly be able to connect.

If you continue to have issues you could try and setup a wifi extender closer to your car. Though since there aren't any OTA updates yet, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out I think patience solved my problem. It seems there was some amount of lag between OnStar turning on the model and the car recognizing it. Checked again this morning and it was finding networks and found the one I had set up last night.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Turns out I think patience solved my problem. It seems there was some amount of lag between OnStar turning on the model and the car recognizing it. Checked again this morning and it was finding networks and found the one I had set up last night.
That isn't surprising either. The network settings seem to be "laggy" in when they take affect. The first time I turned the car wifi on I had to power cycle the car a few times before it actually turned on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts