Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I turned in my BMW i3 after 3-years of leasing it. I had an i3s on order but went to test drive the Bolt EV. I ended up leasing it for 36 months.

It rides nice, has lots of pickup but it's not a BMW.

As I new here I wondering if someone can point me in the direction for some help with Android Auto?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Today I turned in my BMW i3 after 3-years of leasing it. I had an i3s on order but went to test drive the Bolt EV. I ended up leasing it for 36 months.

I had a Golf TDI before (and still have it now). There may be some small things VW did better, but overall the Bolt is a fantastic car.

(I’m using CarPlay.)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Today I turned in my BMW i3 after 3-years of leasing it. I had an i3s on order but went to test drive the Bolt EV. I ended up leasing it for 36 months. It rides nice, has lots of pickup but it's not a BMW.
Since you made the decision, share with us all the reasons (other than the obvious; range) why you chose to switch?

You asked about Android. Our son, who leases an i3, thinks Apple Play is the best feature of the Bolt not present in the i3.

Just our experience, but after living with each and finding the i3 actually had all the range we require, in your situation, we'd now have bought the fully depreciated, but known quantity i3 for less than 1/2 the cost of the Bolt. Especially since the i3 has follow cruise; an inexcusable lack in the Bolt.

It is also to be hoped you got a much better deal than we were offered to lease a Bolt. All we found from the dealer and the GM website netted out to nearly $500 a month.

jack vines

·
Registered
246 Posts

My wife and I traded in two Lexus RX (mine much older RX300, hers a very well functioning RX330) for a Bolt and a Volt.
My wife has expressed lots of misgiving about trading in a functional status car for a pretty standard sedan. My consistent view is that these are status cars in different ways. Other than a roadtrip, we have used approximately 1 gallon of gas in 4+ months.

As for the Bolt, I hope your love yours as much as I love mine.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
As for the Bolt, . . .My consistent view is that these are status cars in different ways. . . I hope your love yours as much as I love mine.
Agree completely. I build ICE engines, but now view them the way horses became when cars came along; just a nice hobby for those who can afford to keep them, but no longer practical or cost-effective for everyday transport.

My wife has expressed lots of misgiving about trading in a functional status car
Status is in the eye of the beholder and is not subject to logical examination. The auto industry is in awe of the masterful job Lexus did of building the legend of all their line being luxury/status vehicles. A few years back a woman friend bragged about her new Lexus and I was surprised because I'd never known her to spend big bucks on cars. But when I looked at her ES300, all I see is an overpriced Toyota. But to her, it's a Lexus, with all the status she felt it conveyed. If one wants to lose a friend forever, point out his Cadillac SUV shares the platform and mechanicals with several Chevy/GMC/Buicks, but costs twice as much.

jack vines

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
" Especially since the i3 has follow cruise; an inexcusable lack in the Bolt."

Especially since all the hardware is already in place. A software change could make it happen.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack,

The car's technology was what really sold me. BMW is years behind. From the Bolt having 4G LTE to Android Auto Chevy is just more up to date. I didn't want to go another 3 years with the same exact technology I already had.

BMW's decision to support only Apply was also a big factor. I don't own any Apply products and have no plans on it in the future.

So far after 10 days I think I made the right choice.

Larry

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Jack,

The car's technology was what really sold me. BMW is years behind. From the Bolt having 4G LTE to Android Auto Chevy is just more up to date. Larry
Larry, now that you've had both, help me out here. I'm having this debate with my son, as he's considering buying another i3 to go with the one he's leasing. Can you list the Bolt technology which you consider more up-to-date? He will concede the Android/Apple interface, so what else?

jack

·
Registered
449 Posts
I was on the LONG list for a Model 3, kept thinking about the Bolt and wanting to take a test drive. Harbored a little guilt from the web survey I answered years ago from Chevy asking if they built a "Volt" would I buy one - I immediately clicked yes! having recently watched "Who killed the electric car". I never bought one. So I did a lot of research and here is what it came down to for me:

Model 3
Pros:
Adaptive Cruise Control
Self Driving - someday/maybe
Premium features - auto folding mirrors, suede accents, fog lights, power seats, all glass roof
310 mile range
Supercharging network
frequent OTA updates
Cons:
Price - $49,000 minimum prior to 2019 (maybe) - features I'd want - about $60K
Availability - maybe June/July for me - if it didn't push again...
No CarPlay/Android Audo - I use this quite a bit in rental cars and LOVE it!
No WIFI hotspot option
Only one screen
No wireless charging
Odd trunk design - not a hatchback to be sure
Low/odd rear seats
Other design oddities (rear windows roll down state, wipers & front windshield

Bolt EV:
Pros:
Availability - on lots here - at least a few dealers have a couple
Price - potential to purchase below sticker price - which can be below $40K
Wifi hotspot
hatchback/utility
wireless charging (kind of wish I didn't get this though - would rather have the space of the LT bin)
Carplay/Android Auto
8" & 10" screens
Cons:
Chevy name/history
No ACC
Hard plastic interior, potential seat issue
No OTA updates to date
No charging infrastructure, no credit for existing EVGO or Chargepoint

In the end, I don't have issue with the seat - it is rigid but when I position myself in the middle, it is fine. I charge 90+ % of the time at home, I can live without ACC and would have had to pay an extra $5K for it on the M3, giving Chevy a chance and clearing my no Volt purchase karma balance out.

No regrets, don't feel I settled - if anything, just feel I couldn't have afforded the M3. No hate for Tesla, would maybe love one some day when the $35K model exists but I'm a very satisfied Bolt EV owner!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.