Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just couldn't contain my giddy, but today I broke 4.0 mi/kWh for the first time on my 100 mi, 90% freeway commute. Today we continued a freakish 65F to 74F weather streak and accordingly, my efficiency went up. Previously I was commuting during 38F to 50F weather and only averaged 3.1 mi/kWh, mainly due to heater usage and some rain slowing things down.

So to those new owners--like myself--who never got to enjoy their Bolt in warm weather, chin-up! It gets better. Can't wait until summer!:D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yaaa! I got excited yesterday too when it said 200 miles! Now I can spee... err drive the speed limit and use auto climate control to my heart's content. Range anxiety = 0.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Yeah, for the past few days I've been driving around with the heat turned off and it's really showed up in the range guess-o-meter. My last full (not hilltop reserve) fill-up showed 402 km, which is better than the rated EPA range. And my very last fill-up, which was in hilltop reserve mode, showed a range of 379 km, which is only a few shy of the EPA range on a full charge.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I am soon making a 440 mile (one way) trip. The first 340 miles are across a DCFC desert (none). I plan two 170 mile legs with an overnight free Level 2 charge to full. The weather, initially predicted to be close to 60 is now predicted to be in the low 40’s. My plan: Drive 60 mph on the Interstate, use cruise control, seat heat, thigh blanket, steering wheel heat, don’t sing in the car, defog intermittently, keep that “safety valve” free Level 2 station near (3.5 miles from the IS) the 150 mile mark in the route until the destination is comfortably within range. My second leg/day safety valve, IF needed, is @Berkeley Springs with its two free Level 2 EVSE. Since it is ~12.5 miles off the IS, this two-hour stopover is truly an “emergency-only” trip adjustment!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, Surgeon, I just discovered this new installation a couple of days ago. The Country Inn downtown has 2 Tesla and 1 Clipper Creek solar powered Level 2 stations. Good place to sleep over if you need a rest.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
use cruise control, seat heat, thigh blanket, steering wheel heat, don’t sing in the car, defog intermittently
I don't understand the singing part. I'm trying to understand, but I'm brain farting here.

keep that “safety valve” free Level 2 station near
Another option: bring a plug-able L2 charger with you with RV park connectors or even your OEM EVSE with a 240V adapter.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't understand the singing part. I'm trying to understand, but I'm brain farting here.

Another option: bring a plug-able L2 charger with you with RV park connectors or even your OEM EVSE with a 240V adapter.

A: to keep the windows from fogging up (only half joking - it really does make a difference).

B: I forgot to mention that I WILL take my Siemens VersiCharge with its NEMA 6-50 plug and my NEMA 6-50 to 14-50 adapter cord (homemade, short, 10-2 w/G copper, 6-50 outlet in a waterproof metal box, 14-50 plug).

C: I will also take my Tesla Tap adapter cord in case the (one) J1772 is filled, but one of the Tesla plugs is not.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what I'm hearing is just stop breathing to minimize defogger usage. Got it. If you don't hear from me for a while, you know what happened.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I hadn't thought of that! Actually it's dry enough out here in Montana I can count the number of times I've used defrost all winter on my fingers... ; )

·
Registered
22 Posts
The temp in Michigan temporarily jumped up from 30's to 55 this past Sunday. I ventured out and drove a random 40 miles to check out my range increase. On country roads that I usually get 3.3 mi/kWh, it increased to 4.2 mi/kWh. On city roads that were 2-3 mi/kWh in the winter, I got 6 mi/kWh without the need for heat. I found a flat & long stretch of road and used cruise control at 33mph and got 7 mi/kWh for a possible 420 mile range. Range will only improve as summer edges closer.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Scott111, were you on the OEM tires? What was your PSI? It must be seriously flat where you are cause even with cruise at 35mph, I have yet to break 5 mi/kWh. Haven't tried during spring/summer, so your numbers are giving me hope.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Scott111, were you on the OEM tires? What was your PSI? It must be seriously flat where you are cause even with cruise at 35mph, I have yet to break 5 mi/kWh. Haven't tried during spring/summer, so your numbers are giving me hope.
Yes, OEM tires with about 3000 miles on them. Inflated to 40 psi (slightly over 38 psi recommended). I did purposely test on extremely flat country roads with less than 30' elevation variations and cruise control, so the test is repeatable at different temperatures. Turning climate control off alone was my biggest increase in range, but I'm sure temp and air density is a big part of the result as well.

During my winter driving in 0-32F it is possible to get 4-5 mi/kWh by turning off climate control and driving 30-55 mph, even if the battery uses power for conditioning. So I know that the high power demand of cabin heating is my primary source of poor winter range. "Climate Settings" is usually 15-40% of my energy use in the winter. Pre-heating and short trips can make cabin heating 50% of my energy use. Long trips are all under 25% cabin heating.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I haven't posted in a while. I joined the forum about a year ago. I've been waiting for the Bolt ever since GM announced it. I've driven it twice in 2017 and April 2017 was close to purchase. What has stopped me is the winter range. I have a 170-mile round trip commute (82 miles each way) from Rural Central Virginia to Northern VA, which is a combo of three segments: 20 miles back country roads (some +800 ft. elevation changes), 40 miles open cruising (55 and then 70 MPH speed limit), then 20 miles of heavy traffic. My average speed over the whole trip is about 50 MPH. I can't charge at work (I've tried to get my cheap-ass company to install some L2 stations, but to no avail). I possibly could charge at 120V at work, but the place where a 120V outlet is is a no parking zone... (hopefully to force the issue - our CEO in Florida drives a Tesla S). My ICE car does this trip about 90% of its EPA highway mileage; 27 MPG.

I figured I'd wait a year and see if there are any threads about real world winter mileage (2017 -2018) that addressed the issue that came up on the Forum. I can't find any other than a few Canadians discussing it. Running my ICE car in the Fueleconomy.gov (personalized) website to where it gets 27 MPG and compare it to the Bolt, Fueleconomy.gov returns a 219-mile range for the Bolt. Probably not a good comparison, but at least it is a data point. The issue is if I'm going to drive a Bolt in the winter, I want it to behave, climate control-wise like an ICE, meaning I'm not going to run just the heated seats and steering wheel and use a blanket. I spend 20 hours a week in a car at 2 hour stints. Sitting in an icebox on a hot plate is not going to work for me (no offense meant to the guys that do that..). Temps in VA where I live probably average 40 Deg.F during my drive times.

All that said, I was hoping you guys could point me to a thread about real world winter range, and/or throw your thoughts out about my commute in a Bolt.

TIA

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
The temperatures in Virginia have finally risen to near the normal range. This was the worse winter in a decade, despite little snow, mostly cold and/or rain. It had been 55 days since I was last on my electric assist bicycles. About 6 of the 55 were rideable, but I had a cold or flu on all of them. Despite walking 3-9 miles most days, I still gained 12 pounds. Thursday the temperature shot up to 81F. I left home at 12:45 pm, and got back at 6:45 pm. Rode through four of my favorite towns.

106.3 mi, 4:49.42, 22.0 mph av, 36.7 mph max, 2160.0 Wh, 20.1 Wh/mi

Neat interview on tree ring data going back to the 1700's, and the jet stream. It's the amplitude of the waves that has changed, since the 1960's.

https://xenetwork.org/ets/episodes/episode-65-climate-science-part-9-jet-stream/

Oh, yeah! Range has gone up on the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't posted in a while. I joined the forum about a year ago. I've been waiting for the Bolt ever since GM announced it. I've driven it twice in 2017 and April 2017 was close to purchase. What has stopped me is the winter range. I have a 170-mile round trip commute (82 miles each way) from Rural Central Virginia to Northern VA, which is a combo of three segments: 20 miles back country roads (some +800 ft. elevation changes), 40 miles open cruising (55 and then 70 MPH speed limit), then 20 miles of heavy traffic. My average speed over the whole trip is about 50 MPH. I can't charge at work (I've tried to get my cheap-ass company to install some L2 stations, but to no avail). I possibly could charge at 120V at work, but the place where a 120V outlet is is a no parking zone... (hopefully to force the issue - our CEO in Florida drives a Tesla S). My ICE car does this trip about 90% of its EPA highway mileage; 27 MPG.

I figured I'd wait a year and see if there are any threads about real world winter mileage (2017 -2018) that addressed the issue that came up on the Forum. I can't find any other than a few Canadians discussing it. Running my ICE car in the Fueleconomy.gov (personalized) website to where it gets 27 MPG and compare it to the Bolt, Fueleconomy.gov returns a 219-mile range for the Bolt. Probably not a good comparison, but at least it is a data point. The issue is if I'm going to drive a Bolt in the winter, I want it to behave, climate control-wise like an ICE, meaning I'm not going to run just the heated seats and steering wheel and use a blanket. I spend 20 hours a week in a car at 2 hour stints. Sitting in an icebox on a hot plate is not going to work for me (no offense meant to the guys that do that..). Temps in VA where I live probably average 40 Deg.F during my drive times.

All that said, I was hoping you guys could point me to a thread about real world winter range, and/or throw your thoughts out about my commute in a Bolt.

TIA
I drive a 100 mile round-trip commute that's 90% highway but keep to the speed limit of 60mph (maybe +5 to keep up with traffic, but otherwise stick to the right lane for max efficiency). I set HVAC to ON, RECIRC, 70F, FAN=1, air blowing at WINDSHIELD and FEET. In the tame winters here around the Puget Sound, I averaged 180miles of EV range on the GOM, with most days using up 55% of the SOC so I'm fairly confident the GOM is giving me an accurate range estimate of 180 miles.

So for you, charging from home would not be possible. Work charging would help but I'd personally would have range anxiety every drive home. Assuming realistic 7 hr work-charge on [email protected], that's 120 * 8 * 7 = 6.7 kWh recovered. You can do it, but it's a straight drive to/from home, no detours. You'll likely burn 30 kWh getting to work and another 30 kWh to home. That 6.7 kWh recovered is what you have for detours on the way home. I forget the efficiency I had in winter, but I think 2.4 is a safe number. So 6.7 kWh * 2.4 mi/kWh = 16 miles of detour range.

I'd push your CEO to install two L2 chargers so you can at minimum replenish 20 kWh (so 48 miles of detour range) for the winter.

For summers, you should have no problem charging completely from home. Fall and Spring? Might need some 120VAC charging.

Reactions: Terry Hancock

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The temperatures in Virginia have finally risen to near the normal range. This was the worse winter in a decade, despite little snow, mostly cold and/or rain. It had been 55 days since I was last on my electric assist bicycles. About 6 of the 55 were rideable, but I had a cold or flu on all of them. Despite walking 3-9 miles most days, I still gained 12 pounds. Thursday the temperature shot up to 81F. I left home at 12:45 pm, and got back at 6:45 pm. Rode through four of my favorite towns.

106.3 mi, 4:49.42, 22.0 mph av, 36.7 mph max, 2160.0 Wh, 20.1 Wh/mi

Neat interview on tree ring data going back to the 1700's, and the jet stream. It's the amplitude of the waves that has changed, since the 1960's.

https://xenetwork.org/ets/episodes/episode-65-climate-science-part-9-jet-stream/

Oh, yeah! Range has gone up on the Bolt.
Dang it. You had me. I was following along pretending I understood the lingo but realized it was not about the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I haven't posted in a while. I joined the forum about a year ago. I've been waiting for the Bolt ever since GM announced it. I've driven it twice in 2017 and April 2017 was close to purchase. What has stopped me is the winter range. I have a 170-mile round trip commute (82 miles each way) from Rural Central Virginia to Northern VA... I can't charge at work.

It seems to me that even a Bolt is no match for a 170 mile/day commute. IF you could charge, Level-2, at work for 8 hours, it could be done, but it is a life of charging 16 hours a day. Without the Level-2 at work, I would say that that 180 mile winter range leaves NO reserve, safety margin, room for error. Get a PHEV and drive electric to work and gasoline home.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It seems to me that even a Bolt is no match for a 170 mile/day commute. IF you could charge, Level-2, at work for 8 hours, it could be done, but it is a life of charging 16 hours a day. Without the Level-2 at work, I would say that that 180 mile winter range leaves NO reserve, safety margin, room for error. Get a PHEV and drive electric to work and gasoline home.
Thanks, you've pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. Yeah, I've thought that a Volt would work pretty well because I really just need the electric for max efficiency of electric drive in the 20-mile (each way) of heavy traffic. Like a few have said, the EPA ratings should be more realistic regarding real world use in all 4 seasons, rather than a perfect SoCal day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts