Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

141 - 160 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
It's so disappointing what happened with the id3. Everything I've seen and read about it was very, very, good. It truly was a potentially compelling EV, that we would never see here in the US. Such a shame and loss to the EV community.
You speak in past tense as though the ID.3 is dead. It's simply delayed. We've dealt with delays from other EV automakers over the years, so this should be expected at this point.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Interestingly, I visited the folks on Fathers Day and stopped at a new "self service" rest stop adjacent to the Mohawk River. It was well done and themed in honor of the Erie Canal and it's importance to western migration, etc.
What caught my eye though was 3 fast chargers so I took a few photos. But what surprised me the most, is they all are Chademo, no CCS that I can see. Not functional yet however.

I'll post these over on the NYS fast charging thread too. View attachment 29687 View attachment 29688 View attachment 29689 View attachment 29690 View attachment 29691
Actually the Mohawk Welcome Center is not new. It was put in 5 years ago, along with the 3x CHAdeMO chargers. Those chargers are not functional any longer. They were for years. Only ever used by Teslas to my knowledge, because they were operational during the 24-30kWh Leaf days, and very few were ever in range of that rest stop, and willing to hop on the Thruway to use it.

FWIW, NYPA has plans to replace the 3x 50kW CHAdeMO-only units with 2x 100kW dual-standard (CHAdeMO and CCS) units in the next year or two.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Actually the Mohawk Welcome Center is not new. It was put in 5 years ago, along with the 3x CHAdeMO chargers. Those chargers are not functional any longer. They were for years. Only ever used by Teslas to my knowledge, because they were operational during the 24-30kWh Leaf days, and very few were ever in range of that rest stop, and willing to hop on the Thruway to use it.

FWIW, NYPA has plans to replace the 3x 50kW CHAdeMO-only units with 2x 100kW dual-standard (CHAdeMO and CCS) units in the next year or two.
Nice. I hope they go with the dedicated 100 kW (200 A) units rather than split power units.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what units they are planning on using. Frankly with EA in Albany and Herkimer, that's just infill to me so I haven't been following it closely. I'm much more interested in the I-81 corridor from Syracuse to Philly, which NYPA also has plans to electrify (at least the NY portion).

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Yeah, I don't know what units they are planning on using. Frankly with EA in Albany and Herkimer, that's just infill to me so I haven't been following it closely. I'm much more interested in the I-81 corridor from Syracuse to Philly, which NYPA also has plans to electrify (at least the NY portion).
Yes. I think the big hurdle for a number of people is that they want redundancy and resiliency along routes. I know a number of people have been soured on Electrify America. I've had mostly positive experiences, so I'm happy traveling exclusively on Electrify America (especially because they are the cheapest public charging option for Bolt EV owners). However, I've heard repeatedly from EV owners that they refuse to use X, Y, or Z charging providers and will only use A, B, or C charging providers.

Having routes covered by multiple providers will go a long way. Unfortunately, the only place that has really been happening is California, and even then, only on Highway 99 to any reasonable extent. In that case, you can travel nearly 400 miles exclusively using Electrify America, or EV Connect, or EVgo with ChargePoint options here or there.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
The biggest concern I have for GM is their lack of battery production capacity because that is really the best gauge for determining EV production capacity. If we assume that for the next 5 years, the average new EV battery capacity is 75 kWh (a reasonable number based on what we know), the GM-LG Lordstown Plant will only be capable of supporting about 400,000 EVs a year. With a two-year lead time to get these plants up and running at full capacity, I really think GM needs to start working on a second and third plant now (or at least before the Lordstown Plant even opens).
400K EVs a year is pretty close to 10 times their current production, so that's not a trivial increase. I would bet that GM wants to see how their EVs fare in the market before investing in additional capacity, and I don't think that's an unreasonable strategy for them. No, they're not as aggressive as Tesla or VW, but they're ahead of most of the other guys and I think that's a positive thing.

·
Registered
772 Posts
You can find out now. The way to update to Ultium is to purchase a new vehicle that has the technology. There's a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than the Bolt having an upgrade path to Ultium.
You're probably right but I can still hold out a hope. Again, I may find out in about 3 months just like I found out information about the 2017 bolt in Sept '16 before it was official.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You speak in past tense as though the ID.3 is dead. It's simply delayed. We've dealt with delays from other EV automakers over the years, so this should be expected at this point.

Yeah, I could have worded that better. I'm mostly bummed that America will never see it and I thought once they got the software figured out, it would be popular here. It has a lot of interesting features that even Tesla doesn't (HUD for one).
It's also, the major black eye they got for this fiasco which will take some time to heal. This dwarfs the Model 3 rollout struggles which was a stubbed toe comparatively but it still gets thrown up from time to time.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Battery capacity of GM EVs? I'd double the 75KWH. I'd expect the Bolt refresh to be 75 and the Hummers, trucks to be around 150. Lyriq 100 minimum.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Yeah, I could have worded that better. I'm mostly bummed that America will never see it and I thought once they got the software figured out, it would be popular here. It has a lot of interesting features that even Tesla doesn't (HUD for one).
It's also, the major black eye they got for this fiasco which will take some time to heal. This dwarfs the Model 3 rollout struggles which was a stubbed toe comparatively but it still gets thrown up from time to time.
Yes, I agree that the ID.3 should have been an American offering as well. VW probably thinks it will be far more popular in Europe, but even if it is, the American market is bigger.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Battery capacity of GM EVs? I'd double the 75KWH. I'd expect the Bolt refresh to be 75 and the Hummers, trucks to be around 150. Lyriq 100 minimum.
Hmm. Perhaps. I'm also adjusting for volume, as the smaller battery EVs will likely outsell the more expensive, larger battery EVs two to one. According to the reports I've read, the Ultium Platform will enable GM to produce EVs with battery sizes as small as 50 kWh (perhaps for small economy sedans or even -- possibly -- a Zora EV).

With the Hummer EV, I could see a battery option as small as 100 kWh, but I think it might top out at 200 kWh. I think the Celestiq is also likely to be close to 150 kWh with about 600 miles of range.

·
Registered
689 Posts
With the Hummer EV, I could see a battery option as small as 100 kWh, but I think it might top out at 200 kWh. I think the Celestiq is also likely to be close to 150 kWh with about 600 miles of range.
I have also read that the Hummer will top out around 200kWh, with 400 mile range.

I'm not so sure the Celestiq will get 4 miles/kWh. That 150kWh battery will probably be closer to 500 miles of range. Which, IMO, is still incredible. I mean, look at the excitement over the 400-mile Model S!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
10-90% is 80% added. 80% of 200kWh is 160kWh. In 10 minutes? That is an average rate of 960kW! Where are you going to find a megawatt charger?
Ask Atlis. :)

In all seriousness, it appears that GM is trending toward the 800 V to 1,600 V architectures, which would enable those types of charging speeds. GM's partnership with Bechtel could also be a possibility, as we could see dedicated 1 MW CCS chargers built in the future. The bigger hurdle would be with battery chemistry, which would require a 5 C charging rate to support those speeds.

Of course, there are ways around that as well. Using a larger battery with a 10% to 20% buffer would allow for a battery that can charge at its peak rate (under constant current constant voltage) for close to 90% of its usable capacity. At that point, a 10% to 90% charging in 10 minutes might only require 3 C to 3.5 C rate, which is already possible with current chemistry and cell configurations.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Those MW chargers aren't going to be cheap! Sure, buyers of a $200k vehicle will appreciate them. But I worry about that much power stressing the local grid. There won't be enough capacity around to support us peons charging at 150-350kW!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Those MW chargers aren't going to be cheap! Sure, buyers of a $200k vehicle will appreciate them. But I worry about that much power stressing the local grid. There won't be enough capacity around to support us peons charging at 150-350kW!
If there's a company that could do it, it would be GM. They have access to a large amount of second-life EV batteries that could be used as grid-tied storage to offset the massive pulls that would be seen for short peaks.

Tesla seems to manage okay at their Kettleman City site, which has 250 kW of solar and 5 Powerpacks. The site now has 16 V3 Superchargers in addition to 24 V2 Supercharger stalls, which have been completely full at times. So that system is able to support a conservative 6 MW of power draw.

Essentially, a site with four 1 MW, four 400 kW, and four 200 kW CCS chargers (a near ideal site size, in my opinion) wouldn't have significantly higher power needs than Tesla's Kettleman City site, and it could likely manage with the equivalent of 4 to 6 Powerpacks worth of grid-tie energy storage and a 100 kW to 150 kW of solar canopies.

141 - 160 of 181 Posts