Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

How do you adjust the speed warning? 2023 Bolt EUV

894 Views 17 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  PhilipD
New owner here, 2023 Bolt EUV. I can get to the Speed Warning screen, but I cannot figure out how to adjust the speed. I saw an older message that said you should see Options at the bottom of the menu to the left of the speedometer. My Bolt does not show Options. The manual is not help at all on this.

So two questions:

1. How do I adjust the Speed Warning speed?
2. Anyone know why I don't see an Options selection?

btw, I find the various triangles to be very confusing. I guess I'll get used to them over time.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
I saw the speed warning option on the dashboard screen. You have to use the steeringwheel controls and get to the settings option. (Also not sure if it makes a difference or not but I once had a ford vehicle and it required to use key #1 out of the 2 that came) but not sure if chevy has the same setup or not. Just try turning on your car with the other key.
One of my (few) criticisms of the Bolt is the lack of integration between the steering wheel-controlled settings and the infotainment-controlled settings (and the split there between the vehicle settings and all the app settings).

FWIW, I've not seen any key dependencies with the steering wheel controlled settings.
I was crusing on the freeway and I sensed the car was slowing. Scared me and then I saw I was going 92.
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2
I was crusing on the freeway and I sensed the car was slowing. Scared me and then I saw I was going 92.
Speed warning is a must. Without loud engine sound, it's hard to tell you are going really fast. LOL
I'd be curious to know what kind of Mi/Kwh you get at 92... I'm too scared of getting a ticket to try it around here.
Hmm. Interesting comments, but no one has answered my questions. One answer vaguely suggested how, but didn't really help. Maybe no one knows!
New owner here, 2023 Bolt EUV. I can get to the Speed Warning screen, but I cannot figure out how to adjust the speed. I saw an older message that said you should see Options at the bottom of the menu to the left of the speedometer. My Bolt does not show Options. The manual is not help at all on this.

So two questions:

btw, I find the various triangles to be very confusing. I guess I'll get used to them over time.
This is from the owner's manual.

Speed Warning: The speed warning display
allows the driver to set a speed that they
do not want to exceed. To set the speed
warning, press the thumbwheel when Speed
Warning is displayed. Move the thumbwheel
up or down to adjust the value. Press the
thumbwheel to set the speed. Once set, this
feature can be turned off by pressing the
thumbwheel while viewing this page. If the
selected speed limit is exceeded, a pop-up
warning is displayed and a chime may
sound.

I don't know why you can't see the Options selections. The manual says this:

Cluster Menu
There is an interactive display area in the
center of the instrument cluster.
Use the right steering wheel control to open
and scroll through the different items and
displays.
Press < to access the cluster applications.
Move the thumbwheel up or down to scroll
through the list of available applications.
Not all applications will be available on all
vehicles.
. Vehicle info. This is where the Driver
Information Center (DIC) displays can be
viewed. See Driver Information Center
(DIC) p. 103.
. Audio
. Navigation
. Phone
. Layout
. Options

Edit to add: This shows you the buttons to push to manipulate your what throught all the selections.

Output device Body jewelry Automotive lighting Gadget Technology
See less See more
Owners manual?
No freekin way...
Apparently the morons still don't read it...
No, not morons. Just folks like you and me who need some help.
No, not morons. Just folks like you and me who need some help.
Thank you, PhilipD for your information about adjusting the speed warning. I searched the PDF version of the manual but somehow missed it. I checked the index, but it contains no listing for Speed Warning. But again, thank you for this information.

As for the Options menu item, I see all the other items listed on page 84 of the manual, but not Options. There is a note above the list, "Not all applications will be available on all vehicles." Maybe this explains it; I don't know.

I am a moron who, as a technical writer, wrote instruction manuals for 30 years before I retired. I generally do read instruction manuals. But having owned my Bolt for 2 months, I have not yet waded through all 333 pages of the manual. I am glad to find that the operation of this car is quite simple and intuitive. Some things are explained by helpful messages on the instrument panel (or DIC鈥 what a pleasant acronym!). I鈥檝e also found this forum to be very helpful for learning about the Bolt EV/EUV. I have often said technical writers write the manuals that no one ever reads. I think most people read instruction manuals only when they get into a jam, and in that case, it鈥檚 a good thing there is a manual.

I suppose some morons knew everything about their Bolt the first time they got behind the wheel. I鈥檓 not one of those morons. I salute those morons who knew all and so never had to ask for help.
See less See more
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
As for the Options menu item, I see all the other items listed on page 84 of the manual, but not Options. There is a note above the list, "Not all applications will be available on all vehicles." Maybe this explains it; I don't know.
Well, you got me wondering, and guess what? I must be a moron too. I can't find an "Options" option. I have the LT trim on my EUV. Maybe Options is on the Premier trim.
W

So two questions:

When you are on the Speed Warning screen, pressing the toggle wheel turns the feature on or off. You need to press the arrow to the right of the wheel to bring up the screen that allows you to change the speed setting.

By the way, you had to use the Options selection to get to the Speed Warning screen. It's the gear symbol at the bottom of the menu options to the left of the main DIC screen.
Kindness matters.
And stupid splatters...

Always accommodating the lowest common denominator.

Maybe I'll bring in the ol' owners manual and upload a couple pictures of that particular page, and the index, and a few google searches, showing the same thing.

Then again...might not...
This is from the owner's manual.

warning, press the thumbwheel when Speed
Warning is displayed. Move the thumbwheel
up or down to adjust the value. Press the
feature can be turned off ...
It turns out a step is missing on page 85 of the manual--at least for my Bolt. The instructions (as shown above) do not tell you you need to press the right arrow (triangle) button to see the Speed Warning Adjust screen. The correct instruction for adjusting the Speed Warning is as shown below. The corrected instructions are shown in red text.

warning, move the thumbwheel up or down
until Speed Warning is displayed. Press the
right arrow (triangle) to see the Speed Warning
Adjust screen.
Move the thumbwheel
up or down to adjust the speed value. Press the

Added note: Now I see that BillG49 correctly explained this. And yes, you have to select the gear symbol to see the Speed Warning display. Page 84 of the manual indicates that you should see "Options." Not sure how you're supposed to know "Options" means gear symbol.

I hope this information is helpful.
See less See more
  • Thank You
Reactions: 2
Well, you got me wondering, and guess what? I must be a moron too. I can't find an "Options" option. I have the LT trim on my EUV. Maybe Options is on the Premier trim.
As BillG49 explained above, "Options" (as shown in the manual) is actually a gear symbol. Who knew?

(Maybe they once used "Options" instead of the gear symbol? I couldn't say. On my Bolt it's a gear symbol.)
It turns out a step is missing on page 85 of the manual--at least for my Bolt. The instructions (as shown above) do not tell you you need to press the right arrow (triangle) button to see the Speed Warning Adjust screen. The correct instruction for adjusting the Speed Warning is as shown below. The corrected instructions are shown in red text.

warning, move the thumbwheel up or down
until Speed Warning is displayed. Press the
right arrow (triangle) to see the Speed Warning
Adjust screen.
Move the thumbwheel
up or down to adjust the speed value. Press the

Added note: Now I see that BillG49 correctly explained this. And yes, you have to select the gear symbol to see the Speed Warning display. Page 84 of the manual indicates that you should see "Options." Not sure how you're supposed to know "Options" means gear symbol.

Thank you. It is very helpful.
Yes, it is very helpful. Thank you.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts