Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im still setting up my new Bolt and looking for the best phone mount solution. Any ideas that don't result in the phone blocking either the screen or the HVAC controls?

Craig

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I mount mine using a cheap $5 holder that clips to the left air vent above the screen. With the clip holding the lower part of the phone, the bottom of the phone can rest against the chrome piece above the screen. I don't plug mine in, so this provides a nice view of the phone when using its navigation. Plus it gets the phone under the windshield where GPS signals appear to be stronger. Never took a picture of the setup because, well my phone is my camera and it can't take a selfie of itself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Give Android Auto / CarPlay a serious try. That said, my wife uses one of those doodads that clips in the vent, and I used to use one of those things on a long flexy-arm that suctions to the windshield and then has a rest that sits on the dashboard to stabilize it. But Android Auto ended up being fabulous. My phone just lays on the console now.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I use a phone mount that installs onto the cup holder. One disadvantage to this is that the screen's too low to easily glance at, but since I use CarPlay it's largely irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Give Android Auto / CarPlay a serious try.
I can't with my Windows phone. But don't really want to fuss with a cable either. My phone's navigation works so well, that I'm not desperate. Plus with the mounting I use, I think it is better in my field of view than having to look at the infotainment screen. The Bluetooth connects automatically every time I get in the car so the phone's directions come through the car. That works so well that having to use a cable is a step backwards. For some reason, I sometimes have issues getting a GPS signal if my phone is laying in the interior of the car, so mounting it up near the dash solves that problem also.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey guys, Im still setting up my new Bolt and looking for the best phone mount solution. Any ideas that don't result in the phone blocking either the screen or the HVAC controls?

Craig
Proclip has 2 mounts, one that mounts to the console on the right side (the one I have), and one that mounts to the drivers A-pillar (which I might have gotten had I figured out the power cable routing). It's a platform to which you have to add a magnetic (which I used) or mechanical mount. The mounts are a little pricey, but they are very solid. The add on mounts from proclip are expensive, and don't seem better than cheap ones from Amazon, which is what I purchased.

·
Registered
232 Posts
In my pocket. When I need navi, rarely, I drop it in the middle or the cup holder.

Reactions: Craigmri

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use CarPlay. So, I just plug it into the USB port and put the phone in the center console storage bin. Everything I use can be accessed via the steering wheel controls or the car’s display.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Proclip has 2 mounts, one that mounts to the console on the right side (the one I have), and one that mounts to the drivers A-pillar (which I might have gotten had I figured out the power cable routing). It's a platform to which you have to add a magnetic (which I used) or mechanical mount. The mounts are a little pricey, but they are very solid. The add on mounts from proclip are expensive, and don't seem better than cheap ones from Amazon, which is what I purchased.
Have that exact same ProClip mount and I use it with a wireless charger. Works great.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I always use Android Auto so for long drives I'll put the phone in the pocket underneath the infotainment screen so I'm less tempted to use it. For random short drives, I have an Anker magnetic mount that is mounted to one of the blank buttons.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I can't with my Windows phone. But don't really want to fuss with a cable either. My phone's navigation works so well, that I'm not desperate. Plus with the mounting I use, I think it is better in my field of view than having to look at the infotainment screen. The Bluetooth connects automatically every time I get in the car so the phone's directions come through the car. That works so well that having to use a cable is a step backwards. For some reason, I sometimes have issues getting a GPS signal if my phone is laying in the interior of the car, so mounting it up near the dash solves that problem also.
You still have one of those things????? They died out long ago. Time to upgrade!!!!

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
You still have one of those things????? They died out long ago. Time to upgrade!!!!
I have yet to see anything on the current market that is better. Removable battery, iris recognition that works wearing a mask and sunglasses, wireless charging that works in a 2017 Bolt, dual sim, 25 MP camera with image stabilization, supports SD cards with bitlocker encryption, runs office suite, and many more things. It's not dead. Yet. Also, anything that has to cost $600 to $1000 to match it is not an upgrade in my book. Did a phone comparison of a Moto G stylus I saw on sale and my old 950XL still beats it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
the Proclip base attached next to Infotainment and a Scosche MagicMount Pro XL attached to it.

I have always used a phone case with a plate under it and this magnet is strong.

4C463699-979B-4AD0-9BE8-B46EEC6C63DD.jpeg 903EC98C-EA7A-4C42-973C-15DFF1752632.jpeg EDFEB108-0D12-43E6-BF66-A3D8298BC71F.jpeg 86988063-2A6E-49EE-88C4-CF44EB6D9B5A.jpeg

Wife's iphone 7+ to show said magnet can hold the bigger phones easily.
It even holds my ipad mini without issue.

I dont find it gets in the way when I'm the passenger (and i have long legs; no issues).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the Proclip base attached next to Infotainment and a Scosche MagicMount Pro XL attached to it.

I have always used a phone case with a plate under it and this magnet is strong.

View attachment 31068 View attachment 31071 View attachment 31072 View attachment 31073

Wife's iphone 7+ to show said magnet can hold the bigger phones easily.
It even holds my ipad mini without issue.

I dont find it gets in the way when I'm the passenger (and i have long legs; no issues).
I think thats the best solution right there!!! Thank you!

Craig

·
Registered
351 Posts
I can't with my Windows phone.
Whoa, a widows phone! Hot dang, That's so rad 🤩 I thought they were extinct!

I liked these. The windshield is so deep that these end up working great. Or they did for me anyways.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
I have yet to see anything on the current market that is better. Removable battery...
You might want to buy some spare batteries if you plan to keep it for a while. The Achilles heel of smart phones is proprietary batteries that are only on the market for a couple of years while the phone models are current. I had to ditch a perfectly good smart phone after 5 years even though it had a removable battery because I simply couldn't find a new battery for it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I use a cup phone holder that is adjustable, which I adjust so that it doesn't interfere with anything else.

Got it from Amazon: Sparin cup holder phone mount.

Holds the phone nice and steady. It does need to go into the right cup holder to fit best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts