Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So the dealer sent us email with the link to Qmerit to submit info for getting the 220 outlet installed. Submitted info and pics as requested. We got the below quote back from Castle Electrical and Lighting here in Phoenix. $949.00 so looks like everything should be covered by Chevy. Our utility panel is on the exterior wall of the garage on the same wall we need the outlet on so it should be pretty straight forward. Home was built in 1998. Should there be more specific info on this quote? Are there questions we should be asking?
They have a pretty good BBB rating.
Electricians in Scottsdale, AZ | Castle Electrical & Lighting | Top-Rated Electrician in Scottsdale, AZ. Customer Service is our #1 Priority! Serving all of your Residential and Commercial electrical needs.

Chevy charger quote:

Tap out electrical panel

Install junction box for charger at front of garage

Install surface mounted conduit from electrical panel to junction box

Install 40amp 240volt circuit for chevy car charger

Install 14-50 charging receptacle

Install 40amp 240volt circuit breaker

2 year warranty on labor and materiel

$949.00

·
Registered
118 Posts
You might consider a 50A breaker which will let you charge at 40 amps. The Chevy supplied EVSE is a 32amp, but many EVSEs that you buy can do 40 amps (or more). I presume they are running 6 gauge (copper) wire which can handle 50A. You should size your system such that your load doesn't exceed 80% of the maximum load, and 80% of 50A is 40A.

Caveat: I am not an electrician. But 6 gauge wire with a 50A breaker is what my electrician installed for my 40A JuiceBox.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hello all,

So the dealer sent us email with the link to Qmerit to submit info for getting the 220 outlet installed. Submitted info and pics as requested. We got the below quote back from Castle Electrical and Lighting here in Phoenix. $949.00 so looks like everything should be covered by Chevy. Our utility panel is on the exterior wall of the garage on the same wall we need the outlet on so it should be pretty straight forward. Home was built in 1998. Should there be more specific info on this quote? Are there questions we should be asking?
They have a pretty good BBB rating.
Electricians in Scottsdale, AZ | Castle Electrical & Lighting | Top-Rated Electrician in Scottsdale, AZ. Customer Service is our #1 Priority! Serving all of your Residential and Commercial electrical needs.

Chevy charger quote:

Tap out electrical panel

Install junction box for charger at front of garage

Install surface mounted conduit from electrical panel to junction box

Install 40amp 240volt circuit for chevy car charger

Install 14-50 charging receptacle

Install 40amp 240volt circuit breaker

2 year warranty on labor and materiel

$949.00
That is the price with the GM rebate or without it? I guess your panel is almost next to the charger. My quote was like around $3K so opted for the $500 EVGO credits instead.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the price with the GM rebate or without it? I guess your panel is almost next to the charger. My quote was like around $3K so opted for the $500 EVGO credits instead.
Good Luck.
That is the total price so it would be zero out of pocket.
Yes the outlet would basically be on the other side of the wall where the panel is located.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If it is a simple install then I thought GM only gives you $500 for it. Complex installs are $1K I was told. So you might need to pay the difference.
Huh. I was told GM would pay up to $1000 for a standard install and an additional $250 for permits. My installation came in a $1150 plus $100 for the permits, so I had to pay $150 out of pocket.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I know GM/QMerit is covering the cost of this install, but for anybody here who can break down this job ... what is this electrician getting for his labor cost? Are materials about $150 and he's charging $800 for one hour of labor?? Is that how this shakes out?

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV (06/21) LT w/ Driver Confidence Package. Almost trouble free.
526 Posts
I know GM/QMerit is covering the cost of this install, but for anybody here who can break down this job ... what is this electrician getting for his labor cost? Are materials about $150 and he's charging $800 for one hour of labor?? Is that how this shakes out?
We'll probably never know exactly how the $'s are shared between you, GM, Qmerit and the contractor. And it could be more than an hour. It was more like 2 or 3 hours for my install including inspection which added a NEMA 14-50 outlet right next to the (outdoor) service panel in surface mounted metal conduit.

Reactions: mmascari

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,129 Posts
See requirements for standard installation and coverage here:

·
Registered
22 Posts
just completed my application, this is the section about the cost offer:
  1. Installation Credit Offer: GM will provide up to a $250.00 credit toward a Customer’s permitting and up to a $1,000.00 credit to be applied towards an Installation completed by a Qmerit Installer for Customers who do not meet the Standard Installation Requirements or choose the Installation Credit Offer. In such a case, the Qmerit Installer shall complete the Installation and the Customer will be responsible to pay the Installer directly for all costs for the necessary permits that exceed $250.00 and for all Installation costs that exceed $1,000.00. This credit can be used towards Installation of a customer-supplied charging station or outlet.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,322 Posts
That is the total price so it would be zero out of pocket.
Yes the outlet would basically be on the other side of the wall where the panel is located.
Then I fail to understand the issue....can't get any better than $0 can you?
Book it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then I fail to understand the issue....can't get any better than $0 can you?
Book it.
Since I know basically nothing about electrical work and the set up for charging vehicles I wanted others here to review what the contractor is advising for set up.
No mention of permit mentioned on the quote either. Should we be concerned? Contractors in Arizona try to avoid permits and inspections...it still the wild west here...LOL.
so

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,322 Posts
It's surprising that a contractor that essentially is working on behalf of GM would try to do work without a permit in a jurisdiction that requires one.
I didn't see that question in your post but, good catch.
If electrical permits are required in your area then ask them to clarify that it is included as part of the work.
Permits are required here in Ontario for any electrical work and no legitimate contractor would chance doing a job without one. An after hours or weekend job for cash might be another story but not a job that is on the books.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's surprising that a contractor that essentially is working on behalf of GM would try to do work without a permit in a jurisdiction that requires one.
I didn't see that question in your post but, good catch.
If electrical permits are required in your area then ask them to clarify that it is included as part of the work.
Permits are required here in Ontario for any electrical work and no legitimate contractor would chance doing a job without one. An after hours or weekend job for cash might be another story but not a job that is on the books.
We just found on the email where it does mention the permit cost at $250.00 covered too. I suppose the contractor arranges for the inspection?

2 Posts
Wow! I'm glad I can do electrical work. My install costs me about $49 including 40 amp breaker, plug, box, conduit, and wiring. I only had to run about 3 ft though.
My electrician nephew is overseeing my doing the work to install the outlet on the front of the house. I need about 50 feet of 6 ga wire. Gonna run over $300 for just the wire. Gotta wait till next payday for that one.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts