Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier w/ Sun n Sound
1,340 Posts
There are only I think two limited instances where you can put a 40 amp breaker on a 50 amp outlet..
Very common in Ontario. Electric ranges are supplied with a 14-50 cord but only require 40A. They are all wired that way here. RV parks would actually have 50A supplied to the 14-50.
Other codes and practices vary. It’s one of the reasons why we have such a wide price difference to go to 6ga wire from the 8ga….the 8 used for 40 is just so common. My upcharge to go 50A versus 40A on a 40’ run almost doubled the install cost….it was also 4 wire in my case because I have a motor home that uses that receptacle.

• Helpful
Reactions: XJ12

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV 2LT
806 Posts
Huh. I was told GM would pay up to $1000 for a standard install and an additional $250 for permits. My installation came in a $1150 plus $100 for the permits, so I had to pay $150 out of pocket.
Sucks how they quote these from Qmerit. Some have to pay above the 1000 limit and then some (like mine) have it fully covered up to 1799 :unsure:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Electrical supplies like pipe, wire, conduit are through the roof. Like everything else.

I am an industrial electrician yet I hired a contractor to install my 15-40 outlet.

About $1500. Turn key.

They used liquid tight conduit an #6 wire x 3 about 45 feet to the edge of the deck.

I am aware that this is a lot of money.

But I work so much finding time to install all the components wasn't something I wanted to take on.

Also the parts alone would have cost over $800.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I just bought my EUV on Friday and they told me I'd be contacted in about a week regarding the free standard home charger install ... weird that I don't get anything regarding this when I bought. From the point they contact me, about how long should we expect the whole process to take?

·
Registered
80 Posts
That depends on several factors:

How soon Chevy can pull their head out and blink.

How soon the electrician of your choice can show up.

Where you want the outlet/hardwired connection installed.

If your electrical panel has 40A available. There is no 32A breaker made so 40 it is.

You might need a sub panel which would not be covered in the "Free Install"

Probably a week or two in all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Just an update on where we are at. I sent an email to the contractor with a short list of questions. He actually called me to go over them.

Yes they only use metal conduit and copper wire. They will use 6 gauge copper wire. They also use Hubble outlets since this is for an EVSE install. We are going to use the supplied 32 amp EVSE. Slower charge rates might be better for battery in the Phoenix heat in my thinking anyways. I asked him about installing a GFCI breaker and he said the ones that they have installed they end up having to go back and replace as they don't play well with the GFCI built into the EVSE's. Were going to stick with the 40 AMP breaker. He said Phoenix is kinda behind the times as far as codes goes and some inspectors will not pass the 50 AMP breaker for 32 AMP. He said I could swap out if needed at a later date singe we would have the 6 gauge wire in place....

And they take care of the permit stuff too.
Kinda all makes sense???

·
Registered
2010 Prius (Model V); 2023 Bolt EUV Premier on Order
114 Posts
Sucks how they quote these from Qmerit. Some have to pay above the 1000 limit and then some (like mine) have it fully covered up to 1799 :unsure:
I believe the $1,000 limit is "for Customers who do not meet the Standard Installation Requirements" -- for all others, though, GM covers the costs so long as the Qmerit proposal says the work covered by the "Standard Installation Requirements." Whether this makes sense or appears arbitrary and capricious is up for debate. I would say that a non-standard installation of $1,500 that costs the customer $500 makes no more sense than a $1,700 standard installation that costs the customer nothing. The thing to do would be to ask for another quote if the first proposal suggests a non-standard installation. Or, perhaps it would be worth letting the Qmerit person developing the quote that you would be much more likely to accept a standard installation, regardless of the costs.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Just an update on where we are at. I sent an email to the contractor with a short list of questions. He actually called me to go over them.

Yes they only use metal conduit and copper wire. They will use 6 gauge copper wire. They also use Hubble outlets since this is for an EVSE install. We are going to use the supplied 32 amp EVSE. Slower charge rates might be better for battery in the Phoenix heat in my thinking anyways. I asked him about installing a GFCI breaker and he said the ones that they have installed they end up having to go back and replace as they don't play well with the GFCI built into the EVSE's. Were going to stick with the 40 AMP breaker. He said Phoenix is kinda behind the times as far as codes goes and some inspectors will not pass the 50 AMP breaker for 32 AMP. He said I could swap out if needed at a later date singe we would have the 6 gauge wire in place....

And they take care of the permit stuff too.
Kinda all makes sense???
Kinda. Sounds good except for the breaker part...if they are using 6ga wire then it is good for a 50A breaker so why not install that?
The EVSE rated at 32A has nothing to do with the 50A breaker and whether or not the inspector passes it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
He said Phoenix is kinda behind the times as far as codes goes and some inspectors will not pass the 50 AMP breaker for 32 AM
Kinda. Sounds good except for the breaker part...if they are using 6ga wire then it is good for a 50A breaker so why not install that?
The EVSE rated at 32A has nothing to do with the 50A breaker and whether or not the inspector passes it.
He said Phoenix is kinda behind the times as far as codes goes and some inspectors will not pass the 50 AMP breaker for 32 AMP item. Something about over exceeding which sounds weird to me but hey that could be Phoenix for ya.
They are actually coming tomorrow for the installation.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
He said Phoenix is kinda behind the times as far as codes goes and some inspectors will not pass the 50 AMP breaker for 32 AM
He said Phoenix is kinda behind the times as far as codes goes and some inspectors will not pass the 50 AMP breaker for 32 AMP item. Something about over exceeding which sounds weird to me but hey that could be Phoenix for ya.
They are actually coming tomorrow for the installation.
Well then that would mean you had better not charge your iPhone on a 15A circuit according to your inspector.
Anyway that makes no sense and I think something got mixed up in the translation there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello all,

So the dealer sent us email with the link to Qmerit to submit info for getting the 220 outlet installed. Submitted info and pics as requested. We got the below quote back from Castle Electrical and Lighting here in Phoenix. $949.00 so looks like everything should be covered by Chevy. Our utility panel is on the exterior wall of the garage on the same wall we need the outlet on so it should be pretty straight forward. Home was built in 1998. Should there be more specific info on this quote? Are there questions we should be asking?
They have a pretty good BBB rating.
Electricians in Scottsdale, AZ | Castle Electrical & Lighting | Top-Rated Electrician in Scottsdale, AZ. Customer Service is our #1 Priority! Serving all of your Residential and Commercial electrical needs.

Chevy charger quote:

Tap out electrical panel

Install junction box for charger at front of garage

Install surface mounted conduit from electrical panel to junction box

Install 40amp 240volt circuit for chevy car charger

Install 14-50 charging receptacle

Install 40amp 240volt circuit breaker

2 year warranty on labor and materiel

$949.00
My feeling is that the electricians who have contracted with Qmerit know what they're authorized to spend, and they will charge Qmerit the full authorized amount and Qmerit will pay. Either Chevy or Qmerit or both are being taken advantage of. I know the installer for my service spent about 2 hours on the road, he and a helper spent about 3 hours on the job. Their supplies amounted to a 40 amp GFCI breaker, about 30 feet of conduit and the same amount of number 6 wire. They estimated and I assume charged the full amount Chevrolet was offering, including $300.00 for permit (which never was applied for according to my country permit site). It's not really right, but you might as well accept it. With some pretty basic skills you could replace 40 amp breaker with a 50 amp but it's probably not worth messing with.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts