Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was able to test drive a Chevy Malibu Hybrid, a Chevy Bolt, and a Chevy Volt all at the same dealer on the same day. Spent some considerable time in each and compared room, performance, and user interface. All are very nice vehicles but the Bolt stood out to me when I drove it the second time. The Malibu was great and most similar to what I had. No compromise but no plug! The Volt felt too cramped and too small for me.

If I was to make the Bolt work for me, with the existing DC fast charging infrastructure, my wife would need to drive it when I had to travel out of town. No more "her car" and "his car" but the EV or the ICE vehicle. She drove the Bolt and was equally as impressed as I was, so we got the Bolt.

Now that my wife knows she has the option, she prefers to drive the Bolt whenever she can. Her car is the road trip car but she frequently says, as soon as they have a reasonably priced EV, that is rated at 300 miles, and they build out the DC fast charge access near us, she is trading her car in ;-)

We got the Bolt in early June 2017 and now have 5,200 miles on it. I just got around to joining the forum recently and finally writing this introduction...

·
Registered
2020 Bolt EV Premier Cajun Red
11 Posts
Welcome to the Bolt forums

Welcome to the Bolt Forums. I also just joined and I am very familiar with how helpful a good forum can be to get answer about your car. I have been a member of the corvette forum for over 10 years through our last 4 Corvettes. I have already learned a great deal about the new Bolt EV by using this forum.

We decided to buy an EV only a couple of weeks ago. After doing the research online we chose the Bolt. We saw them at the Chevrolet dealership months ago at a Corvette event and talked about getting one some time in the future. The recent December Employee Discount program along with the tax credit and state rebates made us decide that now is the time to buy an EV. We are very happy with our new Bolt

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Welcome aboard. Share your experiences and thoughts as they accrue. Your perspective will be valuable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got a Chevy Bolt because I had no idea when I would get a Tesla Model, along with the $6,000 discount off MSRP and the expected, soon-to-end $7,500 Federal tax rebate :)

And have to say, except for lack of auto-drive, I'm pretty happy!

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I didn't get any discount for my EV. But thought it was time to buy because:

1. Finally an "affordable" EV that is a real car like performer

2. Federal rebate short lived. Get it while I can.

3. GM selling at a loss. So getting our money's worth.

4. I'm voting with my dollar.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my Bolt Premier because I had bought a 2017 Volt Premier in October 2016. I loved my Volt, but I tried to drive as much as possible in EV mode. I was relatively successful (90% EV driving over 14 months), but it was at a cost: in winter, I tried not to use heat. My daily commute is 60 km / 40 mi, and I live in Greater Vancouver, Canada, which has a climate very similar to that in Seattle: usually raining in winter, very little if any snow, and temperatures around 5 degrees Celsius / 41 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last winter was exceptionally cold: we had snow and temperatures around -5 Celsius / 23 Fahrenheit. My battery capacity of course went way down and at times was forced to use the ICE. I tried not to use the heater, but it was really, really cold for these parts.

Once the Bolt became available in Canada and I found out that the range was ~383 km / 238 mi, I figured that even with up to a 30/40% degradation of capacity due to the cold weather, I could still easily drive my commute, use heat, and have battery capacity to spare.

So ... I traded in my Volt on November 13 this year. I'm approaching one month with the Bolt, and I love it. Now, I jokingly refer to the Volt as the gateway drug to the Bolt. :)

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now, I jokingly refer to the Volt as the gateway drug to the Bolt. :)
I like it! Interesting transition from Volt to Bolt. thanks for sharing your story. I hope that you continue to love your Bolt and that at six months in you are still as excited to drive your new Bolt as I am about mine.

My experience has been that a "full" charge yields 75-80% of nominal rated range (238 miles) in freezing temperatures. Most of the winter my garage is just slightly above freezing, today my display read 35 degrees with outside ambient at 26 deg.

Yesterday my phone reported that charging had completed and I had 180 miles of estimated range. Before I left the house I "preconditioned" the car. As the car was still plugged in it warmed the interior to 72 deg, and enabled the seat heaters. It was nice and toasty warm when I unplugged and got in and the range estimate actually jumped up to 192 miles as it used the house power to precondition.

Mostly academic as my distance traveled yesterday was 22 miles :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
thats too funny, i am old enough to grow up with imperial here in the good ole white north. I still remember gas stations in gallons! And Metric Man on TV trying to convert us all to metric. Me I still use imperial for everything. I know what temps are in F and its a lot more accurate! Can't stand metric. Not for anything. Rather do fractions of and in instead of mm's :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
thats too funny, i am old enough to grow up with imperial here in the good ole white north. I still remember gas stations in gallons!
Me, too. In high school and university, I worked in gas stations just at the time of the conversion from gallons to litres, back when gas was 69.9 cents per gallon!

I've now spent most of my life under the metric system, and I've adjusted to everything except measurements of height and weight. I still look at people's height in terms of feet and inches, and I still think of people's weight in terms of pounds. It's far easier for me to estimate both of those measurements in imperial ... I just can't visualize what 175 cm and 87 kg (for example) means. Similarly, I prefer to buy my meat in dollars per pound rather than per kilogram ... again, I just don't know whether $23 per kilogram for a good steak at the supermarket (for example) is a decent price or not.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Me, too. In high school and university, I worked in gas stations just at the time of the conversion from gallons to litres, back when gas was 69.9 cents per gallon!

I've now spent most of my life under the metric system, and I've adjusted to everything except measurements of height and weight. I still look at people's height in terms of feet and inches, and I still think of people's weight in terms of pounds. It's far easier for me to estimate both of those measurements in imperial ... I just can't visualize what 175 cm and 87 kg (for example) means. Similarly, I prefer to buy my meat in dollars per pound rather than per kilogram ... again, I just don't know whether $23 per kilogram for a good steak at the supermarket (for example) is a decent price or not.
So true so true, like millenials we should come up with a moniker for our kind, "imperials" maybe :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
The last car I purchased was a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, which ran until late 2015 at 264,000 miles when the hybrid battery died, I didn't think it was worth the $2000 to fix for a $3000 car. My mother-in-law was so kind to give me her super-low-mile 2002 Lexus RX 300, which was meeting its end this year. Unfortunately, I spent about as much fixing the transmission as I received in trade-in :(.
I had been on the waiting list for a Tesla M3, but had been wavering, knowing that they were falling behind on schedule, and knowing I was far enough back that I would not get the tax credit. The real kicker for me and my wife was the potential political end of the $7500 tax credit in the US.

We went to test drive both a Volt and a Bolt, and wound up buying one of each.

I love my 3-week old Bolt. It is a super car, has pep when needed, is a great cruiser when I just want to drive for efficiency too. I love some of the safety and infotainment features that weren't even dreamed of in my prior car models. I know that the Bolt rides high to accommodate batteries below, but I really like the extra height for vision, and the roomy interior height too.

I feel pretty righteous about the car too. My very first car was a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback, and I vowed I would never buy a car with lower fuel rating. I did not keep that vow, but the 2006 hybrid did beat the 1991 (barely). Now, with home wind-powered electric, and an electric-only ride, I really do feel like I am doing some good. I also feel good about reinforcing the good decisions that GM made to develop a whole line of EVs. I also feel pretty good about loaning Tesla $1000 for the past year or so on their waiting list - their refund paid my electrician to install 240V plugs for our new EVs :).

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The last car I purchased was a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, which ran until late 2015 at 264,000 miles when the hybrid battery died, I didn't think it was worth the $2000 to fix for a $3000 car. My mother-in-law was so kind to give me her super-low-mile 2002 Lexus RX 300, which was meeting its end this year. Unfortunately, I spent about as much fixing the transmission as I received in trade-in :(.
I had been on the waiting list for a Tesla M3, but had been wavering, knowing that they were falling behind on schedule, and knowing I was far enough back that I would not get the tax credit. The real kicker for me and my wife was the potential political end of the $7500 tax credit in the US.

We went to test drive both a Volt and a Bolt, and wound up buying one of each.

I love my 3-week old Bolt. It is a super car, has pep when needed, is a great cruiser when I just want to drive for efficiency too. I love some of the safety and infotainment features that weren't even dreamed of in my prior car models. I know that the Bolt rides high to accommodate batteries below, but I really like the extra height for vision, and the roomy interior height too.

I feel pretty righteous about the car too. My very first car was a 1991 Honda Civic hatchback, and I vowed I would never buy a car with lower fuel rating. I did not keep that vow, but the 2006 hybrid did beat the 1991 (barely). Now, with home wind-powered electric, and an electric-only ride, I really do feel like I am doing some good. I also feel good about reinforcing the good decisions that GM made to develop a whole line of EVs. I also feel pretty good about loaning Tesla $1000 for the past year or so on their waiting list - their refund paid my electrician to install 240V plugs for our new EVs :).
You have a great pair of rides and a nice balance with the Volt and your ability to travel distance without concern of charging when desired. Congrats on 2 new cars this year!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Appreciate how the Canadians on this forum use the metric system, just across the border.

Myanmar (Burma), Liberia and, of course, the United States are the only hold-outs left in the World
Actually, Americans use the metric system without realizing it. For example, all units that have to do with electricity - volt, ampere, watt, ohm, coulomb - are metric w/o imperial equivalent.

Also, in Europe there are still some relic customary units in use, e.g. pipe sizes could occasionally be in inches (zoll in German). The Brits still have the mile for distance and the stone/pound for weight.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I was waiting for the T3 but not reserved.
Owned a 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV BEV (60 miles per battery) for my 16 miles to work and back. I bought it used in May 2015 for $8600 (8,300 miles) and DC charge. Other car was my Truck, F-350 Diesel crewcab 2006 which I traded for the Bolt. Donated the 'i', can't wait to see what they auctioned it off for.
Bought my son the Prius C last January and he is finally getting the MPG he can get but doesn't have to plug in.

T3 was not going to come to the Masses until, say 2020. Didn't want to pay a HIGH Insurance premium nor wait.

When GM came out with the Bolt I was SO HAPPY !
I inherited some money so buying a new car outright was in my grasp.
$2500 from MA rebate check.
$7500 tax write off that I can actually USE.
Has the miles to go where ever I want without having to change cars... perfect.

If I need to take a trip that is a couple states away I will just rent a gas car (not that I want to) other wise I can hit all of my surrounding states if I need to.

GM got my $$

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I also feel pretty good about loaning Tesla $1000 for the past year or so on their waiting list - their refund paid my electrician to install 240V plugs for our new EVs :).
Now that's pretty funny. I never thought about it before, but Elon Musk has gone into the banking business without even knowing it. The Tesla zero interest savings account! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts