Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I plug into public 110v outlets, and want to secure my EVSE, I tie a small knot in the cable, then put that knot under the hood, and close the hood, so someone cannot pull the knot through the locked hood. The cable comes out from under the hood in a place where it does not pinch the cable against metal. This has worked for me pretty well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Just hope somebody doesn't damage the hood trying to pull it out. Will stop an honest person as my Grandfather used to tell me when he locked his boat motor.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I open the drivers window slightly and loop the cord through the steering wheel.
That only works (100%) if you use a padlock on the cable (inside the car) so that the cable can't be snaked out.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Both of these solutions are clever and, I hope, effective. Previous posters mentioned parking the front wheel on the cable. Probably any of the three methods deter the spur-of-the-moment thief.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used to park on the cord until the Incredible Hulk came by, lifted my Volt, stole the charger and gave it to the Flash! :laugh:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm not a fan of the hood and steering wheel methods. I much prefer the method where you shove the cable behind one of the spokes of your wheel and padlock the cable to itself. Sure someone can cut the padlock, but if they had those tools handy chances are they don't care about breaking a window or prying your hood up for the EVSE. They'd probably ignore the car alarm too. I feel the padlock is sufficient for opportunistic thieves with the plus side all they scratchup/break on your car is the wheel and not your paint job or windows.

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I'm not a fan of the hood and steering wheel methods. I much prefer the method where you shove the cable behind one of the spokes of your wheel and padlock the cable to itself. Sure someone can cut the padlock, but if they had those tools handy chances are they don't care about breaking a window or prying your hood up for the EVSE.
Yeah, that's exactly why I leave my car unlocked in my garage. I had people break into my garage through a window and then break into the car by prying the door handle. As a result I had to send the car to a body shop for repair. Now I figure if they've managed to get into the garage then it's best to let them into the car without damaging it - especially since I don't keep anything valuable in it.

And the same goes for the charging cord. If they're going to go to the trouble of breaking something to steal your cord, let it be a lock that's cheap and easy to replace.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not sure if everyone knows you can put a lock on the J1772 release handle.....look closely. I use a combo wheel luggage type lock. More than that if someone is determined to steal it no matter what you do they will.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is this just supposition or do we have anecdotal evidence that an 120v EVSE is considered valuable enough that someone actually went to the bother to break a car window to steal it?

I can understand breaking my window if I left something really valuable inside, like a wallet or iPhone (that's why I LOVE the charging slot, it really hides the iPhone), etc., but a relatively narrowly useful EVSE?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
My question is, "When do you find your car parked in a public place for the 8-10 hours it would take to make it worth plugging in the 120 volt EVSE?" I guess when I worked in a bicycle shop, I could have parked behind the strip mall, next to the dumpster, and plugged into a 120 volt outlet. But if the mall owner, or the district manager of the shop chain had found out, I probably would have been fired. :-(

My neighbor used to be an operator at the local nuke plant. He told me about a plugin hybrid owner, who worked there, getting fired for plugging into a 120 volt outlet, at the plant, without getting an OK from management. They considered it employee theft.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I stayed overnight at the Lawrence Welk Resort in northern San Diego County, they let EV owners use the 120v outlets in the portion of their parking lot for their golf-cart rechargeable vehicles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure if everyone knows you can put a lock on the J1772 release handle.....look closely. I use a combo wheel luggage type lock. More than that if someone is determined to steal it no matter what you do they will.
I had forgotten about that! I will pick up a luggage lock; and add it to my charging travel bag. Nice tip!

·
Registered
95 Posts
My neighbor used to be an operator at the local nuke plant. He told me about a plugin hybrid owner, who worked there, getting fired for plugging into a 120 volt outlet, at the plant, without getting an OK from management. They considered it employee theft.
I've gotten OK's from the Tesla showroom to use their 14-50 at their parking lot display at the Westfield Shopping Center in Century City.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
As a Canadian who's driven on the prairies where it seems like most outdoor parking stalls have 120V outlets for people to plug in their block heaters, that seems awfully petty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not only that, Sean, but it seems like a joke from The Simpsons!

Have you ever seen how much excess electricity is "burned off" at a regular natural gas power plant let alone nuclear! hahahaha

Are you sure this wasn't Senator Rand Paul's neighbor? hahahaha :laugh:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts