Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
When driving our Bolt from Cape Cod to AZ back in Oct we had a 20% partial or complete fail rate for EA chargers. Having said that I think they will eventually get their act together and be a dominant player in the EV field.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Having said that, when you watch Sandy Munro struggle to charge his VOLKSWAGON ID.4 at a VOLKSWAGON controlled EA charging station, it is clear that VW really dropped the ball in a big way. Someone's head should be off.
I watched Sandy Munro try to charge a Mustang Mach E with a CHAdeMO plug, then say it would not work because the cable was not long enough!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think anybody's going to be able to touch Tesla for reliability/ease-of-use, which is kind of sad, but speaks to the overall subpar design/engineering that dominates the industry. Whoever though that the CCS (or CHaDEMO) connectors were a reasonable design should never be allowed to work on public-facing technology again.
Kyle from OutOfSpecMotoring demonstrated that he had to wait 30 seconds after plugging-in the MachE for the "plug&charge" to do its handshake. He remarked that he'd spoken to a design engineer who worked on P&C, and was told that this delay was totally necessary, because the car and charger simply had to have this discussion before charging started.

This reminded me of the long pause in every cash register credit card payment when the CC chip readers first came-out. There was apparently no "environmental impact study" to determine what the costs would be if (say) every McDonalds order took an extra 40 seconds.

If you want people to use a new technology, it needs to be faster & easier than the old way. Like my smartphone payment app (which is faster than Chip&Pin or Swipe) , or like Tesla's fast chargers. Customer focus is important. SAE.org committees don't always run that way.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Kyle from OutOfSpecMotoring demonstrated that he had to wait 30 seconds after plugging-in the MachE for the "plug&charge" to do its handshake. He remarked that he'd spoken to a design engineer who worked on P&C, and was told that this delay was totally necessary, because the car and charger simply had to have this discussion before charging started.

This reminded me of the long pause in every cash register credit card payment when the CC chip readers first came-out. There was apparently no "environmental impact study" to determine what the costs would be if (say) every McDonalds order took an extra 40 seconds.

If you want people to use a new technology, it needs to be faster & easier than the old way. Like my smartphone payment app (which is faster than Chip&Pin or Swipe) , or like Tesla's fast chargers. Customer focus is important. SAE.org committees don't always run that way.
Yup, and you can't just plug in and walk away because there is a significant chance that you will have a charging failure... so you have to stand their and wait. He said that using his own EA account the handshake was twice as fast as using plug and charge. Also, there was no way to link plug and charge to his account to get the pass plus pricing, so after the initial "free" charging was used up there was no benefit to using the plug and charge system.

Keith

·
1,864 Posts
Also, there was no way to link plug and charge to his account to get the pass plus pricing, so after the initial "free" charging was used up there was no benefit to using the plug and charge system.
Spoke to a Mach-e owner at an EA site last week, he seems convinced there is an upcoming update that will allow linking the Pass+ account to P&C. Not sure of his source, but I am sure they are getting plenty of complaints!

Although the computational task of sending\receiving and validating certificates is somewhat intensive, it shouldn't take much time. In my line of work, I use Wireshark to validate TLS handshakes often, they typically take fractions of a second and that is with desk phones, notorious for being underpowered.

Maybe it is an EA thing, they do have to use the identity info received from the car to do some backend server things to prepare the session, validate the account, etc. Maybe it is the free kWh part of the Ford agreement that requires EA backend servers to communicate with Ford backend servers that adds so much time? Certainly, EA should have seen this in lab testing well before the first cars were delivered. If EA is billing Ford for the "free" sessions, that adds considerable complexity to the initialization process, and the step would seem to be followed even after the free charging period has been exhausted unless EA flagged accounts on their servers as to whether or not they still qualify for the free charging.

The P&C protocol allows for third party billing entities if I am not mistaken. Although that is not the case yet, maybe Ford is in the loop during initialization as a precursor to eventually handling the billing aspects as well? If so, they have some work to do to speed up the process.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
During the P&C validation, the unit should emit Modem sounds. LOL

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I am sure they are getting plenty of complaints!
This is key. As these more "mainstream" electric cars come into use, the people buying them aren't going to put up with the same carp that early adopters and enthusiasts will. Change will be coming.

During the P&C validation, the unit should emit Modem sounds. LOL
Haha! I used to have the sound of a 2400 bps modem connecting as the ring tone for my phone. I got tired of people hearing it and saying "Is that a fax machine?". :mad:

·
Registered
226 Posts
I watched Sandy Munro try to charge a Mustang Mach E with a CHAdeMO plug, then say it would not work because the cable was not long enough!
Yeah. Sandy is really a fish out of water when it comes to charging stations. He's not an ace with user interfaces either. But it really seems that VW missed an opportunity to distinguish the brand by making charging a VW EV a P&C event. They have end-to-end control. As Oscar Goldman of The Six Million Dollar Man used to say, "We have the technology".

·
Registered
11 Posts
My beef with EA is the wonky phone APP. Why do I need to use that junk?
The EA chargers I use appear to all have RFID card readers.
At least allow customers to use an RFID card. Plug in, swipe card, charge, stop charge, unplug, go on.
Better yet, do what Ford has done and use 'plug & charge' like, wait for it.... Tesla! :) (Bolt charge speed is another story :().
The Card readers are somewhat unreliable. I was told that by an agent of EVGo. He said to use the smartphone app or call and have an agent start the charge..

·
Registered
481 Posts
Every Charge Point station I've ever come across in Nor Cal has had issues. Half are non functional. EVgo has never been a problem the few times I'veused them. But I do most of my charging at home.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Every Charge Point station I've ever come across in Nor Cal has had issues. Half are non functional. EVgo has never been a problem the few times I'veused them. But I do most of my charging at home.
My one use of Chargepoint was free and worked fine. It's at the Carl's Jr. In Williams, California but not on their app map.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We use an Electrify America charger when going out of town. Compared to the others, it's the easiest to use.

The one near us accepts credit card and you enter your phone number for text alerts regarding charger state. It's also the least expensive charger on our route.

My wife drove her Bolt out of town and didn't take an RF card with her. She did enough driving that she couldn't make it back to the EA charger. It can take a week to get a Chargepoint card by mail and our phones don't support NFC. EVGO only has slower L2 chargers there with a high charging cost so we were trying to avoid using them. She called a Chevy dealer in that town and asked if they had Chargepoint cards (our local dealer does). They didn't know what she was talking about. Luckily they had a charger at the dealer and said it was free for her to use.

So yea, I'd rather use that Electrify America station any day. EVGO DC availability in that area is terrible and you better hope you don't lose or misplace your Chargepoint card.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My wife drove her Bolt out of town and didn't take an RF card with her. She did enough driving that she couldn't make it back to the EA charger. It can take a week to get a Chargepoint card by mail and our phones don't support NFC.
The ChargePoint, EvGo and EA mobile apps don't require NFC. Not all ChargePoints support the app, but most do, so I'd suggest loading it.

My RFID cards live in the car though. They're not much use elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
As stated above, you can activate all/most Chargepoint using the Chargepoint app. I think you can also activate charging with the Chevy app on the Energy Assist screen.
I'm pretty sure you can activate EVGo with the Chevy app since they are partnered.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts