Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a smoking deal to purchase an LT...but it doesn't have DC fast charging. So...for those that have it...how important is it? For those that don't have it...do you wish you did?

·
Registered
396 Posts
How important is it to you to be able to get 90 miles of range in 30 minutes while on a trip?

Reactions: Br4hm4

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How important is it to you to be able to get 90 miles of range in 30 minutes while on a trip?
Knowing that I plan on using my vehicle as a commuter only...65 miles a day tops and maybe a few days of up to 140 miles a day, I am debating that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If you live in one of those -20 deg C areas, I don't know. Otherwise, it seems like a no brainer: you are not ging to miss it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Speaking from a practical viewpoint, DC Fast Charging is really a FOMO fear right now for most I would say. Again, like all things EV, decisions should be based on one's individual and unique driving habits and home charging circumstances.

As I recall, a DC Fast charge can "fill up" a Bolt battery from 0 miles to 238+ miles in about 2 hours: 23 minutes under ideal weather conditions. And depending on the level of remaining battery charge, DC fast charge times vary. There are no residential DC fast charging solutions that I am aware of, likely due to the amount of current needed and cost. Thus, DC Fast Charging is primarily for owners using public charging stations offering DC Fast charging. These are few and far between today.

The future of DC Fast charging public infrastructure deployment is suspect at best.

All of the above is irrelevant if one can plug in at home overnight using a Level-2 connection. 9 hours of L2 charging will also pretty much "fill up" a fully depleted Bolt battery. So if one commonly drives more than the 200 miles/day, or commonly takes out of range road trips..AND.. some public DC fast charging facilities are available in the area or on the out of range routes...AND.. one doesn't mind killing a lot of time whilst the Bolt is charging...AND...one is comfortable with the cost of Public DC Fast charging, then paying for the optional DC Fast charger would be a viable consideration.

The reality as I see it is most Bolt owners will almost never have a real need for DC fast charging. But it's really cool to tell other EV owners that don't have that option, that you do!

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
It's critical, as my spouse and I commonly vacation about 250 miles from home. As it stands now, we need to go about 40 miles out of our way to find a DCFC that's even close to being on the way. DCFC along the 5 in CA are pretty much non-existent, which is insane for the major artery that goes up the middle of the state. It's an EVGO in Bakersfield, so the trip will end up costing about the same as using gas in our Volt, but we won't be contributing to ACC. (Our EVs are charged with residential solar PV.)

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you plan to road trip in the Bolt, you need fast charging.

I don't mind stopping to charge on road trips. You just have to plan a bit so you are eating or are otherwise entertained while you charge.

If you know you will never road trip, and you can charge at home, you don't need it.

But you still might want to think about who will buy your car when you go to sell. I haven't heard of many who want to buy a Bolt without DC charging.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's critical, as my spouse and I commonly vacation about 250 miles from home. As it stands now, we need to go about 40 miles out of our way to find a DCFC that's even close to being on the way. DCFC along the 5 in CA are pretty much non-existent, which is insane for the major artery that goes up the middle of the state. It's an EVGO in Bakersfield, so the trip will end up costing about the same as using gas in our Volt, but we won't be contributing to ACC. (Our EVs are charged with residential solar PV.)
I am not sure this builds a case for needing it or not. Not meaning to sound insulting here. Sorry if I come off that way. But...if the infrastructure is that limited...is it something I really need?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am not sure this builds a case for needing it or not. Not meaning to sound insulting here. Sorry if I come off that way. But...if the infrastructure is that limited...is it something I really need?
Look at PlugShare.com to see where the CCS DC chargers are and decide if the current infrastructure is sufficient for where you might want to go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But you still might want to think about who will buy your car when you go to sell. I haven't heard of many who want to buy a Bolt without DC charging.
This right here is the biggest reason I have not signed paperwork. How hard is it going to be to sell this in a few years? Obviously it's not going to be top of the line tech in 4-5 years, when it's paid off.

·
Registered
390 Posts
we won't be contributing to ACC. (Our EVs are charged with residential solar PV.)
Sorry for being pedantic and going a bit OT. The electricity used for your Bolt was previously available to be used by your other appliances. Or by appliances of other people in your neighbourhood. Or in offices. Now that this electricity is no longer available, these appliances will most likely have to use electricity from power plants that burn fossil fuels. Or nuclear power plants. As long as there is no surplus of eco friendly electricity that otherwise would go to waste, there are no 'free rides'. Don't get me wrong. I think EV driving is a great step forward, from an environmental perspective. Same for solar panels. But having solar panels does not make an EV even more eco friendly. Same as having solar panels doesn't make an EV cheaper to operate.

·
Registered
771 Posts
How hard is it going to be to sell this in a few years? Obviously it's not going to be top of the line tech in 4-5 years, when it's paid off.
I would submit that the concern regarding resale value of a 200+ mile EV is not as important as the resale value of a ICEv.

Have you taken a look at RedPoints Cost of EV Ownership Calculator?

In 4-5 years, you may have saved $10,000 in operational cost of your Bolt vs. some ICEv. This would offset any reasonable depreciation of the resale value of your Bolt without a DC fast charge option (that you seem really not to need). Moreover, what tech advances could there be in that time frame that could compel you to sell/trade-in your Bolt? Full AV will likely be the dedicated to ride share services. If battery tech advances 2X fold, and a new EV gets 500 miles to a charge, why would you need that if the Bolt still performs to your unique needs? You paid off Bolt would still do its job.

I guess what I'm am saying is the typical buying concerns we have been accustomed to with respect to ICEv's really don't apply to EV's for the most part.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would submit that the concern regarding resale value of a 200+ mile EV is not as important as the resale value of a ICEv.

Have you taken a look at RedPoints Cost of EV Ownership Calculator?

In 4-5 years, you may have saved $10,000 in operational cost of your Bolt vs. some ICEv. This would offset any reasonable depreciation of the resale value of your Bolt without a DC fast charge option (that you seem really not to need). Moreover, what tech advances could there be in that time frame that could compel you to sell/trade-in your Bolt? Full AV will likely be the dedicated to ride share services. If battery tech advances 2X fold, and a new EV gets 500 miles to a charge, why would you need that if the Bolt still performs to your unique needs? You paid off Bolt would still do its job.

I guess what I'm am saying is the typical buying concerns we have been accustomed to with respect to ICEv's really don't apply to EV's for the most part.
This makes a **** of a lot of sense. My only concern is how often I change vehicles. I am on my 3rd vehicle in as many years. Hence I figured a lease would be more my style. But You are absolutely right.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sorry for being pedantic and going a bit OT. [...snip...] But having solar panels does not make an EV even more eco friendly. Same as having solar panels doesn't make an EV cheaper to operate.
I find your statements incredulous and I think you are being less than candid on this.

Please explain how the generation of 10kW via residential rooftop Solar, that has already provided a full ROI, doesn't put energy into a home charged EV? Or it does, but somehow the cost of said Solar energy is perpetually equivalent to grid/utility generated energy?

·
Registered
607 Posts
This right here is the biggest reason I have not signed paperwork. How hard is it going to be to sell this in a few years? Obviously it's not going to be top of the line tech in 4-5 years, when it's paid off.
There is no way to know something that far in advance.

In 4-5 years, we could see gas prices at $5.00 a gallon. Then it gets really hard to sell an ICE vehicle when lots of good used electrics are available.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is no way to know something that far in advance.

In 4-5 years, we could see gas prices at $5.00 a gallon. Then it gets really hard to sell an ICE vehicle when lots of good used electrics are available.

With Trump thinking of increasing taxes on gas to help fund infrastructure...I can also see some kind of penalty for owning an alternative fuel vehicle or an EV. Not saying it would happen, but it's all speculation.

Assuming the battery doesn't just crap out...I could probably live with the Bolt longer than 4-5 years. Looks like I am going to try and wheel and deal a little more on the vehicle...but I have a hard time believing I am going to do better than $30K for an LT.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Getting back to the subject:

My LT has the fast charging option. The dealer said they get all of thier Bolts with installed at the factory. I don't know anything about a dealer installing it, but it may be a problem if you want to add it later.

I have never used the fast charger. I see it as a possible future convenience. In the San Francisco Bay Area, Level 2 chargers are easy to install and quite common, but the DCFC chargers are a rare bird. All of the charging I have done (at work and at home) is with level 2 chargers.

If you are being offered a discount of thousands of dollars, you should consider going for it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are being offered a discount of thousands of dollars, you should consider going for it.
MSRP is $37,495
Price out the door is just a hair under $31,000

Seems like a pretty good deal all in all. Although it really is just a stripped down Bolt, no other packages included.

·
Registered
862 Posts
The "smoking deal" you are being offered reflects the fact that cars without DCFC are less desirable. This will also be reflected in a later resale.

You will most likely wish you had it at least a couple of times during the course of your ownership/lease, but only you can decide if that possibility is worth the extra expense.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe I am not all that smart but DC fast charging is not something I wanted. Things may change in several years but as it stands right now I do not have a use for it. I actually looked for a Bolt without the DC fast charge option. I curse that orange flap every time it opens when I unplug in the morning.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts