Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was relatively slow off the mark to order my Bolt (mid-August), and was told I would need to wait about a year for the car. While I am generally impatient once I make up my mind on a purchase like this, I was initially okay to wait until after the winter because my current car still has some life in it and so a new vehicle is not an absolute necessity.

Still . . . I find my eyes wandering to some other EVs, I am wondering about who will form the next government and what their opinion will be on the incentives, and I am wondering whether, after a year, another new EV will be close enough on the horizon to make me want to wait for *that* one.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Bolt is the one for me, but I am also wondering if, come spring, there is no Bolt in sight whether I will seriously start looking elsewhere.

Do any of you in this Bolt-starved province have a deadline in mind, after which you may consider giving up on your wait for a Bolt?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Btw, I was very excited to see this regional forum! Thank you to the powers that be for setting this up!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Well,
I waited a year and a half for a
Model 3 and pulled the trigger on the Bolt when I drove it.
Anything is possible...but none offer the utility of a compact crossover which is unique to the bolt.
And there is nothing on the immediate horizon in that category.
I would steer clear of the new leaf...no thermal battery management is just asking for trouble.
By the time you get close...the new Buick EV should be coming out based on the same platform and battery. I am almost positive GM will sell them in Canada. Maybe you can get on an early waiting list for that...
Being originally from Canada,
I bought lots of cars in the states and brought them back...
Don 't really understand why this is such a big deal.
GM should honor the warranty no problem.
My USA car has decals in english and french.
Daytime driving lights might be the only difference which you can get done at Canadian tire...
Other than that, the cars are exactly the same.
Only thing to really check is if government rebates mandate that car has to be bought in the province where the rebate is applied...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was expecting to wait until some time into the first half of 2018 (put a deposit down in early July) but got one last week. It was an order where the original buyer backed out last minute. Join the Canadian Bolt group on Facebook and keep an eye on last minute opportunities (which mostly come up in the Ottawa area).

The rebate requires the the car have its first ever registration in Ontario, which some Quebec dealers will do for Ontario buyers. I guess to pull that off with a US car wouldn't be easy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The way I see it we already waited a long time for the Bolt to come to market and right now we're closer than ever to getting it, so what ever amount more of waiting there is shouldn't be an issue. Even more so that this is a product we will be driving for years to come.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am currently on the waiting list for a 2018, the dealer is anticipating a delivery of Feb/Mar. If I don't see it by then I may opt out and wait for the Buick.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Back in May when the VW TDI settlement was finalized I wanted a Bolt but the wait was too long, so I put a deposit on an eGolf. But this was a distant 2nd choice and when the shipment was delayed till January I'd had it with VW, so I went to an Ottawa dealer and put a deposit for a 2018. They stated they will start production in January or February and deliveries should be shortly after, so I'm holding my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi
I am in Richmond Hill, ON -- I am looking for a Bolt owner in the area to let me look at their car -- local dealers are not able to provide currently.
I just dont believe in such a large sight unseen purchase and pics/vids are a poor substitutes for sitting in one.
You can PM or give me a ring 416 720 5932
Cheers, Patrick

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I'm on the Left Coast in Vancouver. I've been keeping an eye on Craigslist where some of the local dealers advertise Bolts that were abandoned by the people who ordered them. One actually came up in August that was exactly what I wanted, but by the time I got to the dealership it had been snagged by someone else.

So last week I went to a local dealer to put a deposit down and get in line for their next allocation. He gave me the same "6 months to a year" story, but when he checked his outstanding orders he found one that was unspoken for that was exactly what I was looking for (loaded Premiere in Kinetic Blue). It's scheduled to be built the week of October 30 and could arrive sometime in December.

I told him that if the 2018s are announced before the car arrives and if they have something I'm particularly interested in (not likely, but Adaptive Cruise Control would be like manna from heaven) then I'm going to cancel that order in favour of a 2018 model. So now I'm waiting with equal parts of anticipation for the car to arrive and for any word of when and what the 2018 models will be.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi
I am in Richmond Hill, ON -- I am looking for a Bolt owner in the area to let me look at their car -- local dealers are not able to provide currently.
I just dont believe in such a large sight unseen purchase and pics/vids are a poor substitutes for sitting in one.
You can PM or give me a ring 416 720 5932
Cheers, Patrick
Do you know about the EV Discovery Centre down near York U? They have a number of EVs ready to test drive (including the Bolt). When I went, I drove the three EVs they had at the time: the Bolt, Leaf, and i3. They've since added the e-Golf and the Ioniq (or that one is coming soon). https://plugndrive.ca/electric-vehicle-discovery-centre

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm waiting for Toshiba super batteries

After reading the results of Toshiba's testing of a prototype battery they plan on producing in 2019, I decided that buying any electric vehicle at this point that doesn't have these revolutionary new Toshiba batteries would be a HUGE mistake - a total waste of money. The facts : these batteries weigh half as much and occupy half the space of current EV lithium ion batteries. These batteries will outlast any car they power - 5,000 recharge cycles and still 90% capacity we're talking several milion miles. They resist cold and extreme temperatures and can be recharged to 100 percent in 6 minutes. I'm in no hurry at this point. I'm waiting and watching.

·
Registered
605 Posts
After reading the results of Toshiba's testing of a prototype battery they plan on producing in 2019, I decided that buying any electric vehicle at this point that doesn't have these revolutionary new Toshiba batteries would be a HUGE mistake - a total waste of money.
Is is a HUGE mistake? Just kidding, yeah those sound great, but a lot has to happen between now and then. They have to get to production levels, GM has to choose them, the economics has to be there, and it has to pass all of GM's environmental testing. I've seen a million times where a technology doesn't make it to the finish line for many reasons, often not even practical or technology related (maybe the companies don't come to a supplier agreement).

2019, so 2020 at the earliest in the Bolt, if they decided to be early adopters and the technology really pans out. Probably more like 2021/2022, 4-5 years from now.

None of the present lease holders or owners made a mistake, the present car, today, fits their needs. For me, I know of course the cars will continue to improve and will buy another EV in 3-5 years time, depending on what's available, and will retire our last ICE car. And I get to enjoy electric driving today, and this car will become the around the town. Best of both worlds :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Fantastic - never heard of it and apparently the dealer never has either - or dont want me to know -- I will look into it
Cheers, Patrick
They can get a little busy on the weekend, unless you go early. Weekdays are pretty wide open, so when I went on a midweek early afternoon, I was the only one there for test drives.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you know about the EV Discovery Centre down near York U? They have a number of EVs ready to test drive (including the Bolt). When I went, I drove the three EVs they had at the time: the Bolt, Leaf, and i3. They've since added the e-Golf and the Ioniq (or that one is coming soon).
+1 for the EV Discovery Centre. The folks there are very nice and helpful. Would not have ordered my Bolt if I hadn't gotten a good look there first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put my deposit on mine last month, I live in Ajax and they said about 3 months..as for 2018 my dealer said those wont be shipping till fall of 2018 and that they have extended the 2017 production line hence why you dont see any news on the 2018. keeping my fingers crossed mine comes in a few months.

·
Registered
61 Posts
+1 for Ajax! (formerly from Oshawa).

I put my deposit in on September 6 - was told 3-4 month (Nov or December). This was on a premier fully-kitted and custom-ordered. It shipped last week (Oct 30- Nov 3) - my estimated delivery was 2-3 weeks, so either late next week, or the week after (fingers crossed). Just in time for winter and the accompanying range reduction :) I'll be keeping detailed records and sharing my results, as Ottawa gets some serious winter weather.

·
Registered
8 Posts
+1 for Ajax! (formerly from Oshawa).

I put my deposit in on September 6 - was told 3-4 month (Nov or December). This was on a premier fully-kitted and custom-ordered. It shipped last week (Oct 30- Nov 3) - my estimated delivery was 2-3 weeks, so either late next week, or the week after (fingers crossed). Just in time for winter and the accompanying range reduction :) I'll be keeping detailed records and sharing my results, as Ottawa gets some serious winter weather.
Where in Ajax did you buy your bolt from( if you did from ajax?) so you ordered the arctic blue?

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
The facts : these batteries weigh half as much and occupy half the space of current EV lithium ion batteries. These batteries will outlast any car they power - 5,000 recharge cycles and still 90% capacity we're talking several milion miles. They resist cold and extreme temperatures and can be recharged to 100 percent in 6 minutes.
Sweet, these will be on my list for Bolt replacement batteries. I bought now knowing that the batteries will be better when I need to replace the ones I have now. Ten years from now should be about right. My previous work experience, we had electric motors and gearing systems that were nearly fifty years old. So the other parts of the car should be able to last decades. Plus after ten years, my Bolt will be one of my project cars to modify just for the fun of it. About that time, we'll be looking for that self driving car.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts