Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me there is nothing else like driving in electric mode, free from the gas pump. How long does this honeymoon period last? Hope to hear from some Bolt veterans that have been driving three or more months. It would also be interesting to hear what is the longest road trip miles and days with a Bolt EV.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I purchased mine on Jan 3rd 2017 and it's still on going with me. I smile every time I drive it :D

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
For me there is nothing else like driving in electric mode, free from the gas pump. How long does this honeymoon period last? Hope to hear from some Bolt veterans that have been driving three or more months. It would also be interesting to hear what is the longest road trip miles and days with a Bolt EV.
After 9 months and 8600 miles, the feeling hasn’t gone away yet.

Longest road trip was ~1200 miles total. ~400 miles getting to destination, ~400 miles at and around destination, and then another ~400 miles getting back home. Trip was a week long.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have been loving the EV driving experience since my first drive of my 2012 Volt and continued with my 2016 Volt and got even better with my 2017 Bolt EV. Best new cars I have ever owned since I started buying new cars in 1983 from GM.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No long trips, but really enjoy the Bolt after six months. The acceleration alone is the largest thrill. A nit-pick list still exists and is well documented on this site, but overall I’m still very happy with the decision and even more so that gas is going up in price by .12 cents/gal in California.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Coming up on 6 months and 6600 miles. Still have wrinkles from grinning!

Longest overnight trip = 426 miles (one-way), legs of 226 & 200 miles. DCFC (free) over supper. Free Level 2 charging at destination. Return route 5 days later, 200 + 226 miles, again overnight, again DCFC (free) over supper {although, if free Level 2 had been available, charging overnight would have filled us up}. Each leg on a single charge.

Longest 1 day (non-overnight) trip = 370 miles (one-way), legs of 170 & 200 miles. Free DCFC over lunch (Columbus, OH) going north. Free Level 1 charging at destination. Free DCFC over dinner (same Columbus mall) going south.

Longest trip to a "NO chargers of any level" destination = 240 miles (one way). Got a free Level 2 (24 range miles per charging hour) 20 mile "anxiety-eliminating boost" over a 50 minute lunch. Took my Siemens VersiCharge (16 pounds; NEMA 6-50 plug) and my "NEMA 14-50 plug to 6-50 receptacle" adapter cord along and charged (free, with permission) overnight via a 240 volt outlet at a campsite. Backtracked 2 days later without anxiety and with an adequate (good?) reserve upon reaching home.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 9 months and 8600 miles, the feeling hasn?t gone away yet.

Longest road trip was ~1200 miles total. ~400 miles getting to destination, ~400 miles at and around destination, and then another ~400 miles getting back home. Trip was a week long.
COOL. I wish I could do a road trip but out here in the Midwest the DCFCS are only in the big cities in that doesn't work too well.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Still lovin' that "no gas" feeling since January 3rd 14,000 miles later, and just yesterday at the supermarket parking lot I was asked about the experience once again! :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
For my Bolty, the good feelings are still there after just over 4 months and just under 5200 mile! On days we drive separately, my wife and I are always calling dibs on who gets to take it. :)

I?ve not done any truly long distance driving. (Given the current state of the charging infrastructure, trips involving more than two stops at DCFC stations to get to the destination start to look dicey, logistically and total travel time speaking.) But I did document my experience with a ~300 round trip here:
http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/90-2017-chevy-bolt-ev-range-mpge-discussion/13042-florida-day-trip-experience.html#/topics/13042

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
16,000 miles since March and the honeymoon period is over. However, driving an ICE car is annoying and I won't ever drive our Ford Explorer even though the seats are a million times more comfortable.

·
Registered
89 Posts
3 months now, honeymoon period is over. I don't fret over every little scratch or wash it weekly or scour the net for things to modify the car with. Now that it's winter, range is really suffering. But, I still enjoy driving it.
It needs better sun visors (already swapped out mine), faster USB charging (aftermarket 2.4a ones), less buggy Android Auto (not Chevy's fault), better camera resolution (Chevy's fault), bigger trunk, more control over charging setting (like Tesla), maybe 40amp charging, camper mode, wider front seats, and tires that don't lose air so easily.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
We bought the Bolt because it was the best all-around urban EV we could find. We love it every time we run errands and the ICEs seem every more noisy, slow and clunky when we have to use one.

To those who make road trips in EVs, your choice and glad you have the option. This summer, three guys just took paddle boards the length of the Spokane River. Pretty economical; a practical mode of travel, probably not for most of us.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My problem is that when I drive an ICE car it feels ... untidy and inadequate for the occasion? Like showing up at a business meeting with a fried egg-stained shirt.

·
Registered
989 Posts
My problem is that when I drive an ICE car it feels ... untidy and inadequate for the occasion? Like showing up at a business meeting with a fried egg-stained shirt.
LOL! I find sitting in traffic and at stop lights in an ICE to be a wasteful experience >:)
The ICE has become a crude mode of transportation in comparison :eek:

·
Registered
204 Posts
5000 miles here over 9 months and still in grin mode.

I've put 41K miles on an electric motorcycle over the last 4 years and loathe the experience of using my ICE bike for long-range trips.

Why is it trying to shake itself apart? Why do I have to wait until it warms up before making any demands on the engine? Why is it still running at a stop light? Why do I have to hold the clutch in at a stop light? Why do I have to have a clutch? Why do I have to visit smelly gas stations? Why do I have to worry about valve adjustments, oil changes, plug changes, filter changes? Why is there no real power until I wring its neck at high RPM, despite being a 109 HP engine? So the ONLY thing it has going for it is range.

So for me to actually enjoy being in the "cage" again is quite something. I had pretty much given up on cars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just past my 1 month and 2200 miles on the car. I ask the same question. May I continue to wake up super early like a big geek to see a solid charge light and excited to get out on the road.

LOVE MY BOLT.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Loving mine. It will last until it breaks down on me. :) Longest trip 300 miles. Charged a bit (120V) while I hung out and drove back. Used 59.8 kilowatts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is my 2nd EV, so there wasn't as much of a honeymoon period as there was with the Leaf. I had goosebumps the first time I was driving the Leaf home from the dealership. With the Leaf, the euphoric honeymoon period lasted maybe 3-4 months. After then, it became a transportation pod for commuting. I ended up washing the Leaf once in the 3 years I had it. (well, the dealer also washed it one time when I took it in for service)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts