Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long can is it okay to leave my Bolt unplugged when leaving it at the airport, or anywhere? Assuming a nearly full battery.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
A couple of weeks in cold weather is no problem, months up to a year in warm weather is ok too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I left mine at the airport for 11 days in 0 F or lower temps. It was around 68% when I parked and about 64% when I picked it up. Started right up even at -2 F at the time.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mine has been sitting plugged-in since 23:00hrs on Dec. 31. For the 10-1/2 days so far, EVSE has reported 70.7 total kWh’s used. ~6.7 kWh per day.

I think this battery conditioning rate of usage would be the same if vehicle had been unplugged except someone said when battery gets down to 30% SOC unplugged, the stationary vehicle cuts back on batt cond usage.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
How long can is it okay to leave my Bolt unplugged when leaving it at the airport, or anywhere? Assuming a nearly full battery.
I believe that there are already multiple threads on this subject - try the "search" feature and search for "airport" (or "unplugged").

PS: It is considered rude to ask the same question on multiple threads.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ayuh. Everybody loves a self appointed moderator.

Either answer the question, or provide a URL direct link that answers the question.

IMO there’s sufficiently inconsistent info in the above posts. That discussion needs to continue in this thread.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Great - you seem to have appointed yourself the one that will go read all the other threads and will post a recap for us.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be more than happy to do a search if you would give me a hint as to how to do that. Can't seem to figure it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As Roseanna Roseannadanna would say: "Never Mind"! I finally found the old thread. Looks like leaving it at airport for a week this Spring when we go to Cabo shouldn't be a problem. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I can't find any prior threads with the answer I'm looking for.

I know that plugged in, I'm using ~6 kWh per day, purely for battery conditioning when ambient temp is in range of 15F to 20F.

What would have happened if I was unplugged sitting at those temps ? Judging by a few other posts which say "no problem" -- does Bolt cut way back on usage when vehicle is unplugged ? So what's the daily usage then in kWh's ?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My recollection is vague but from reading on the forums, the traction battery has some metrics to check before consuming some traction battery power to heat itself. I think it's something like you must have a certain % SOC and the outside temps must be cold enough for a long enough period of time before the traction battery turns on to heat itself.

Unfortunately, I don't have a definitive answer. Best answer might be your own: hookup a data logger to the OBDII port and keep logs of everything and look for trends. From this forum, not all PIDs are listed but some are shared with the Gen 1 and 2 Volts. From this forum I think I also saw that ODBII may not get any data after periods of inactivity. You'll have to "wakeup" the Bolt every so often with an OnStar command so that certain PIDs pertaining to the traction battery are populated. Otherwise, you may get frozen, misleading PID values related to the traction battery.

Personally, I think GM accounted for prolonged unplugs in cold weather due to the nature of customers--not everyone reads the manual. You could look for any dealerships with Bolt's sitting out in the cold for many days and ask them if the Bolts are doing okay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts