Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the panic and total freakout going on, but haven't there only been a few incidents where Bolts have caught fire due to bad battery cells overheating? Seems like people are losing their minds. Seems like you have a better shot at the Rona getting you before seeing your Bolt spontaneously ignite.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wow. I haven't seen any freaking out. Lots of social chatter and arm-chair analysis sure.
You can help yourself to whatever risk level you're comfortable with. I'll not charge greater than 90% (other than a longer trip) until this is figured out. I'm parked in an enclosed condo parking garage. My risk comfort doesn't cause me to park elsewhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. I haven't seen any freaking out. Lots of social chatter and arm-chair analysis sure.
You can help yourself to whatever risk level you're comfortable with. I'll not charge greater than 90% (other than a longer trip) until this is figured out. I'm parked in an enclosed condo parking garage. My risk comfort doesn't cause me to park elsewhere.
We have people talking about buying used firefighting masks off eBay anticipating a Bolt bonfire. I consider that a freakout.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ok.
Then there were those earlier on before the recall who were slammed for parking outside just in case. Now they're vindicated.
People want to be able to have forethought to protect their hard-earned things, or more so they're loved ones. So they might only be able to park in their garage. So they get smoke detectors. Maybe the mask was so they could push the thing out and not choke on toxic fumes until the FD arrives.
Yes...only a handful have been reported. Some property damage from fire and toxic smoke. Fortunately no injuries yet (I think).
But until this is resolved, wouldn't the reasonable person prefer to have some caution...just in case. It's not freaking out to be cautious. Or mitigation thoughts.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. There have been ~5 fires out of ~250,000 Bolts on the road {5 out of the 50,000 at-risk Bolts). Most of us charge to 90% (Hilltop Reserve) when charging at home. It is the "other than a longer trip" that has people worried and inquisitive. If I "long trip" twice a year (the average) and for those trips charge to full twice at home (at onset) and 6 times away from home (also to full) this remains a miniscule risk. If I have the luxury of making both the trip there and the one back as an overnight stop, I can charge at AC Level 2 for all six of the away-from-home charges. {Is this safer than making two of the charges at DC Level 2 rates?} Don't get me wrong - I still want a fix, but until/unless they can diagnose which of those ~50K EVs are truly at risk, I shall continue to drive as I have, including garage parking.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. There have been ~5 fires out of ~250,000 Bolts on the road {5 out of the 50,000 at-risk Bolts). Most of us charge to 90% (Hilltop Reserve) when charging at home. It is the "other than a longer trip" that has people worried and inquisitive. If I "long trip" twice a year (the average) and for those trips charge to full twice at home (at onset) and 6 times away from home (also to full) this remains a miniscule risk. If I have the luxury of making both the trip there and the one back as an overnight stop, I can charge at AC Level 2 for all six of the away-from-home charges. {Is this safer than making two of the charges at DC Level 2 rates?} Don't get me wrong - I still want a fix, but until/unless they can diagnose which of those ~50K EVs are truly at risk, I shall continue to drive as I have, including garage parking.
Where did you come up with 250,000 bolts? It's far less than half that. It's about a 1:15,000 risk so far. Don't disagree though that this is not a significant risk but I would still park outside.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok.
Then there were those earlier on before the recall who were slammed for parking outside just in case. Now they're vindicated.
People want to be able to have forethought to protect their hard-earned things, or more so they're loved ones. So they might only be able to park in their garage. So they get smoke detectors. Maybe the mask was so they could push the thing out and not choke on toxic fumes until the FD arrives.
Yes...only a handful have been reported. Some property damage from fire and toxic smoke. Fortunately no injuries yet (I think).
But until this is resolved, wouldn't the reasonable person prefer to have some caution...just in case. It's not freaking out to be cautious. Or mitigation thoughts.
Fair enough. I understand if there's anywhere to discuss this topic ad nauseum, it's this forum. Just wanting to provide the other side of the coin argument that there are millions of Bolt miles with very few incidents and it's a great car. Seems like there are more than a handful of Ralph Naders coming out though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I love my Bolt. It has been steady for me since I got it May of '19. I'm disappointed at the moment that I have to have a back of mind worry. Then a little discouraged by another post about an Equinox problem. I really hope they come up with a cheap easy permanent fix so that we can all carry on forgetting about worrying over the car igniting.
I also agree about the miniscule chance and that it's only been so few cars. The Hyundai counted up to the teens...not a handful. But here we are. Officially recognized as a problem for them to "do something".

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Citation need for that 250k number. My understanding was that there are well under 100k Bolts manufactured since the beginning.
You are right and I am wrong. I was confusing the counting of Volts plus Bolts to get to the 200K "EV"s sold to cutoff the tax credit, over a year ago, and figured they sold some more since then. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Ralph Nader was a pioneer in car consumer safety and trying to shame people by labeling them is hurtful and ignorant. I suppose you don't buckle your seatbelt?
Read this article and maybe get educated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ralph Nader was a pioneer in car consumer safety and trying to shame people by labeling them is hurtful and ignorant. I suppose you don't buckle your seatbelt?
Read this article and maybe get educated.
I'm not sure the Corvair was as devilish as Nader portrayed it to be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I get the panic and total freakout going on, but haven't there only been a few incidents where Bolts have caught fire due to bad battery cells overheating? Seems like people are losing their minds. Seems like you have a better shot at the Rona getting you before seeing your Bolt spontaneously ignite.
Many of you have already seen it, I would guess. But those who have not, there was an article on 'Inside EVs' that might be of interest to readers of this topic and Bolt EV owners everywhere. It's by owner who had multiple battery pack replacements, and indirectly provides information about the fires. Personally, I found the story to be reassuring in a way, suggesting that Chevy is truly acting to correct issues that come to light only through widening use:
My Chevy Bolt Is On Third Battery Pack: Here's Why

Enjoy!

[-tv]

·
Registered
518 Posts
Enjoyed the test video where they actually drove one that was owned by Nader himself.
Note that the Corvair swing axle rear suspension was changed to a double joint rear axle design for 1965, so new Corvairs at the time of Nader's book did not exhibit as much of an oversteer tendency.

The VW Beetle changed from swing axle to double joint rear axle in 1969.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Enjoyed the test video where they actually drove one that was owned by Nader himself.
Yes, I remember when both myself and the driver died when we went to the store that one time in his restored Corvair while driving at a reasonable speed and obeying traffic laws and being generally alert to conditions and getting home safely.

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
I remember the time I drove my girlfriend's Corvair into the backend of our next-door neighbor's Ford Fairlane. She was stopping to pick up two girls walking along the road...the same two I was ogling :oops:

The amazing thing was I was able to drive the Corvair home, but the trunk of the Fairlane was pushed into its backseat.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts