Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
How many KIAs caught on fire before KIA did anything?

Not sure how many Bolts were sold in the USA, how many more worldwide (Europe).
Did we have more fires outside US?

I never charge to 100% unless I am leaving within a short period of time for a long trip.
If it catches on fire while I am driving - well, let it be. I will have the chance to film it lol

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
57 Posts
My car should be up in flames by now , I tend to Charge to 100% often...... like all the time , good thing that I park outside instead of the garage , I’ll do my best to charge to 90% but I don’t know 🤔 , maybe I’ll install a WiFi smoke detector in my car lol.
Reminds me of an old Mini Cooper that I used to have, the electric power steering pump was notorious for baking some Minis, I don’t think that there was a recall for that but I parked outside far from the house.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
212 Posts
Reminds me of an old Mini Cooper that I used to have, the electric power steering pump was notorious for baking
My buddy's ex had the electric steering break in her mini.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My buddy's ex had the electric steering break in her mini.
Everything on the MINI would brake lol, the pump was pain to get to, Like everything else
Very ironic, as it turns out, the ex was also a real pain, and when it was discovered what she was pumping the marriage broke. A very philosophical question, if we're not already like the cars we buy, do we become like them over time?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
A very philosophical question, if we're not already like the cars we buy, do we become like them over time?
I have an Acura TSX, a Dodge diesel pickup, a Honda sportbike, and a Prius plug-in. What stereotype is that?

As I'm always saying, the most minority of all groups is the individual, and as such, is the proper level of analysis.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My car should be up in flames by now , I tend to Charge to 100% often...... like all the time , good thing that I park outside instead of the garage , I’ll do my best to charge to 90% but I don’t know 🤔 , maybe I’ll install a WiFi smoke detector in my car lol.
Reminds me of an old Mini Cooper that I used to have, the electric power steering pump was notorious for baking some Minis, I don’t think that there was a recall for that but I parked outside far from the house.
The best reason, IMHO, not to charge to 100% unless actually needed: it degrades battery life. Apologies, I have no references, but I've driven electric motorcycles (Zero SR; 14.4 kWh) for several years and follow user forums, and this seems to be the accepted wisdom. Especially, do not charge to 100% and leave the vehicle sitting for weeks or months. Also, do not leave them sitting at low states of charge. This page: New Charging Recommendations || ZERO MOTORCYCLES contains the Zero company's current recommendations on charging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get the panic and total freakout going on, but haven't there only been a few incidents where Bolts have caught fire due to bad battery cells overheating? Seems like people are losing their minds. Seems like you have a better shot at the Rona getting you before seeing your Bolt spontaneously ignite.
There are more than 170,000 vehicle fires yearly, in the US. But I've never heard of anyone afraid to drive an ICE due to fire danger. Ref: https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v19i2.pdf
(BTW, I've twice seen autos go up in flames by the side of the road; it's a truly impressive sight)

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
57 Posts
The best reason, IMHO, not to charge to 100% unless actually needed: it degrades battery life. Apologies, I have no references, but I've driven electric motorcycles (Zero SR; 14.4 kWh) for several years and follow user forums, and this seems to be the accepted wisdom. Especially, do not charge to 100% and leave the vehicle sitting for weeks or months. Also, do not leave them sitting at low states of charge. This page: New Charging Recommendations || ZERO MOTORCYCLES contains the Zero company's current recommendations on charging.
correct, that’s the best advice for battery longevity, I’m just weird lol, i do not take care of my Bolt unfortunately and I drive a lot so I don’t baby it at all, 70k miles so far.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It's not just about worrying whether my particular allegedly defective battery pack will burst into flames at any moment. It's about the fact that the short term "fix" is really just a SWAG, because the engineer in the video clearly says they don't really know yet what's wrong or why it's happening. They merely hope this "90% charge fix" will prevent anymore fires. What this is really about at this moment is that I'm stuck with a defective, crippled, at least temporarily worthless car, and that nobody in their right mind should be buying one right now. Sure, I can drive it, though not as far. Sure, it looks the same as it did before the recall, but now I have a worthless hunk of metal that I couldn't sell even if I wanted to. In the meantime, it's crippled in that the maximum range has been cut by at least 10%. I've used the entirety of that 100% range on a couple of occasions, coasting into my driveway on spare electrons, and plugging it in immediately. So, don't make light of this. It's my defective crippled car, it's my wallet, and it's my perspective of what GM had done to me as a a result. Think I'm buying another GM car any time soon, as in ever? Not bloody likely, unless I get a new battery pack and a certificate saying my car is 100% awesome and that it's full retail value is unaffected by this nonsense.

·
Registered
212 Posts
it's crippled in that the maximum range has been cut by at least 10%
Preliminary reports are that Raw SOC is what is reduced to 90% and you can only have charged to ~96.5% at full, pre recall, so only ~6.5% is theoretically lost. Yes that still sucks, but it sucks approximately 35% less than what we initially figured.

Edit: I was mistaken. Raw SOC at full charge is 95%, not 96.5%.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If cars could get on fire and they are not sure that reducing charge to 90% really solution (they ask park outside because they are not sure that 90% limit is a fix): Why in the world the owners could not file class action lawsuite and get money back and move on? Anyone knows of such collective action?

·
Registered
391 Posts
If cars could get on fire and they are not sure that reducing charge to 90% really solution (they ask park outside because they are not sure that 90% limit is a fix): Why in the world the owners could not file class action lawsuite and get money back and move on? Anyone knows of such collective action?
They have a software update to limit charging to 90%. You can also do this yourself. The parking outside bit is a precaution if you need to charge to the original 100%. None of the above is required. It's all precautionary for the time being.
As for class actions, how about we wait and see. But that's just me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
They have a software update to limit charging to 90%. You can also do this yourself. The parking outside bit is a precaution if you need to charge to the original 100%. None of the above is required. It's all precautionary for the time being.
As for class actions, how about we wait and see. But that's just me.
My understanding that we must park outside and set 90% limit - not either one but both. Question why?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts