Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't drive for efficiency but I am wondering how many miles the best of us get? Thanks!

btw I get 3 to 4 miles per kWh.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't drive for efficiency but I am wondering how many miles the best of us get? Thanks!

btw I get 3 to 4 miles per kWh.
I would think almost everyone gets 3-4. Can you add a significant digit?

I've gotten 3.3 mpk since getting the Bolt, according to the DIC screen in the car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Overall since I have owned it I have 1350 miles and an average of 268 Wh/mi for consumption (3.7 mi/kWh). If I take out my long road trip and just consider city driving the average goes down to 216 Wh/mi (4.14 mi/kWh).

·
Registered
106 Posts
During cold weather, I have gotten as low as 3.7 mi/kWH, but without using climate settings, I've gotten as high as 4.2 mi/kWH.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Got 3.8 mi/kWh on 262 mile round trip, mostly interstate driving, doing speed limit of 65-70, no cabin heat, just heated steering wheel and seat heater, no passengers. Today, around town, 14 miles, got 4.9 mi/kWh. Lifetime, 753 miles, 2.9 mi/kWh...not sure why so low?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've only got a couple hundred miles on my new Bolt, but getting 4.3 (actually if there is an extra decimal - probably 4.35 due to the timing of the drop from 4.4 down to 4.3 on my ride) average according to the dash display. I have almost 100,000 miles of EV experience (with a Leaf) and that vehicle gave me 4.1 lifetime over the same drive (110 miles per day). The mi/kWHr are estimates and depending on how each vehicle calculates a kWHr - it may or may not be a valid comparison. The Leaf was driven in "ECO" mode (power limited) and "L" which is similar to the Bolt but *FAR* less aggressive on the regeneration. Based on the dash range estimates, the 4.3 will give me a range higher than the average estimate, approaching the max range estimate.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Are you getting your lifetime numbers from the app? If so, ignore them. They've never been accurate in my Spark EV.
Has anyone figured out the reason for the inaccuracy?

I'm seeing the same thing - significantly lower lifetime mpk in the mychevy app (3.0 mpk) than isshown in the car's trip meter (3.4 mpk), which currently includes all but the first ~8 miles on the odometer. I have not looked too closely, but it seems like the difference is roughly constant, at about 55 kWh of energy (which is roughly the full capacity of the Bolt battery). This makes me wonder if the app is generally correct, except for a dumb mistake like double-counting the car's initial fill-up at the plant/dealership. Based on the numbers I've noticed, it sort of looks like the app is estimating 0 kph for the first few lifetime miles, and accurate kph ever since.

It would be nice to know if the app mpk number can be easily corrected. This would give us a handy way to keep an eye on lifetime efficiency and changes over time without a lot of recordkeeping.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I haven't kept up with it since a few years ago when it was clearly inaccurate. You could try the mychevysparkev forum and see if anyone has found a reason.

I was hoping/expecting things like this to be sorted out before the Bolt EV rollout. In about 3 months, there will be more Bolt EVs on the road than all Spark EVs made since 2014.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's a big chunk of anomalous data associated with the initial charge and manufacturing. Do a data reset to get rid of it. Mine showed 3 miles on the odometer at delivery but well over 65 kwHrs of consumption. If they charged it completely at the factory and then let it sit for 6 weeks on a rail siding in Ohio (like mine) - the battery was fully drained keeping itself from freezing....and then charged again at delivery. Well over 100 kWhrs of usage in 3 miles.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is this oversimplified? 4 mi/kWh divided by .112 (my kWh cost) = 35.7. Would that equate to 35.7 mpg?
I didn't check he math, but it looks like you took miles per kilowatt hour and divided money unit (dollars?) per kilowatt hour and ended up with miles per gallon rather than miles per dollar. You need to convert dollars to gallons.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do a data reset to get rid of it.
There is no such data reset option, either in the onstar app or the mychevrolet app. There's a trip meter in the car, but resetting it would discard real data along with the bogus data. If it is extra kWh from initial charges as you and I suspect, it's easier just to subtract them from the lifetime totals.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are you getting your lifetime numbers from the app? If so, ignore them. They've never been accurate in my Spark EV.

Yes, from the app. If the app is that inaccurate, then that explains it, because around town I am exceeding 4 mi/kWh, 5.3 on my 6 mile drive to work this morning.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I didn't check he math, but it looks like you took miles per kilowatt hour and divided money unit (dollars?) per kilowatt hour and ended up with miles per gallon rather than miles per dollar. You need to convert dollars to gallons.
Thanks for the input. I am going to look at it the 2nd grade way, as math was obviously never my strongest area. Using 4 miles per kwh, it will take 25 kwh to go 100 miles. My cost per kwh is $0.112. 25 kwh x $0.112 = $2.80. It will cost $2.80 for me to go 100 miles. Now if Sam has 5 apples and gives 3 to....

·
Registered
14 Posts
There's a big chunk of anomalous data associated with the initial charge and manufacturing. Do a data reset to get rid of it. Mine showed 3 miles on the odometer at delivery but well over 65 kwHrs of consumption. If they charged it completely at the factory and then let it sit for 6 weeks on a rail siding in Ohio (like mine) - the battery was fully drained keeping itself from freezing....and then charged again at delivery. Well over 100 kWhrs of usage in 3 miles.
Is the battery freezing really a concern? And due to the large thermal capacity of the battery, it wouldn't take much to keep it warm overnight, especially if it got any sun during the day. This talks about the thermal management system not running when the car isn't plugged in:
http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5770

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's too early for me to offer a precise answer to the original question posed, but early results indicate I'm getting about 25% less efficiency in terms of KwH per mile than the 4.2-4.4 range I got with my 2013 Leaf.

This is probably due to (1) the weight of the larger battery pack, (2) the heating/cooling of the battery in the Bolt vs. nothing in the Leaf, and (3) I am driving faster on the freeways because my days of "range anxiety" are in my rear view mirror!

1 - 20 of 204 Posts