Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed an order for a Model Y Long Range to be our new road trip vehicle, but we are NOT trading in the Bolt. My wife absolutely loves our Bolt and I expect it to last another 20 years... that is if my wife doesn't decide to trade it in on a new Bolt :)

I know RichCapeCod has both, who else?

Keith

·
Registered
798 Posts
I know RichCapeCod has both, who else?

Keith
Yup. A great EV combo!!

Bolt heading to AZ from Cape Cod.

Model Y heading back to AZ from CA visit. Driven to Cape Cod a month or so later.

Rich

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't want you to think I am copying you.... I have a Blue 2017 Bolt Premier and the 2021 Model Y I have on order is blue as well.... I went with the Long Range, standard wheels, black interior, 5 seat with the standard 19" wheels and tow package... what configuration is your Y?

Keith

·
Registered
798 Posts
Don't want you to think I am copying you....

...what configuration is your Y?

Keith
You are copying us!!! :devilish:

Our MY is a LR AWD. So far the car's been perfect. 7,200 miles on it.

Rich

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are copying us!!! :devilish:

Our MY is a LR AWD. So far the car's been perfect. 7,200 miles on it.

Rich
Do you have the tow package? If not, then I am a unique individual!!!

On the Tesla forums I see people complain about the stiff suspension on the Y, how does it compare to the Bolt?

Keith

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
51 Posts
2021 Model Y Performance and a 2021 Bolt LT. Bought the Tesla first, then the Bolt. Wanted to get a second Tesla, but found out GM was practically giving the Bolts away last month. This works out well since I want to wait for the mega casting to make its way to the Model 3 anyway.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Do you have the tow package? If not, then I am a unique individual!!!

On the Tesla forums I see people complain about the stiff suspension on the Y, how does it compare to the Bolt?

Keith
No tow package. Ride is just fine for both cars.

Rich

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm actually debating on whether to trade my 2021 Model 3 for a 2021 Bolt LT. The Tesla is a good vehicle, I just hate making $600/month payments. I can get a Bolt LT with heated wheel and DC fast charging for ~$20.5k if I trade in the Tesla. Actually probably less because I can trade the Tesla for more than what I paid for it new in january. It sounds weird, but I hate having super nice cars because then you have to watch where you park, keep it clean, etc. When I had my Volt, I didn't care about any of that. It was always dirty, I parked wherever, etc. I also prefer cloth seats especially in the NC summers. I don't need a nice car to commute 100 miles to work in every day. And we have my wife's RAV4 hybrid and an older Suburban for family trips. I just wonder how the Bolt's seats are now, and about the ride quality.

·
Registered
Saturn➡Blazer➡Tesla➡Bolt 2020 Premier
9 Posts
That's a story I'd like to hear.
Simple tale.
1972 Boy wants car (Heinlein, The Rolling Stones)
2014 Boy meets car (S85, compelling enough to stretch for it)
2020 Ramarado totals that car (T-bone FSRA)
2021 GM incentivizes car

First “road trip” tomorrow.
Feels nostalgic: I did this one in the Tesla before there was a Supercharger enroute; had to divert considerably to hit one on return. This time there’s L2 enroute so same but different.

Rest In Parts Pearlie May!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Gotta say, I'm a bit jealous. I'd looked at a Tesla as a first EV, but couldn't justify the price tag.
Yup. But kinda regretting it as I get more familiar with the cheapness of the Bolt. Today I hit a slight dip in the road and the cover of the module behind the rear-view mirror fell off. Seem that in the heat the plastic that is normally the consistency of cold butter gets even softer so the clips don't hold.

I'm seriously considering trading in for a M3 if the tax incentive kicks in, as long as trade-in value maintains and Tesla doesn't boost the price.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Gotta say, I'm a bit jealous. I'd looked at a Tesla as a first EV, but couldn't justify the price tag.
Depending on how long you keep your cars, how much you road trip, and if you eventually sell, the SR+ or any Model 3, appears to hold their value quite well. You may find that factoring in depreciation and time spent fast charging away from home, the Tesla would be cheaper since neither Tesla or the Bolt currently get the Federal Tax Credit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought a 2012 Model S in 2016, new Model 3 in 2018 and 2019 Bolt in July 2021.

I love them all. Tesla is a great travel car. Supercharger network is top notch. Tesla has BMW type premium car atmosphere. Bolt just fits in anywhere. I am looking to sell my Model S in the next year due to loss of warranty and Tesla charging $20K to replace batteries. Looking forward to almost new Bolt once battery replaced. My wife drives the Model 3. She loves it.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I bought a 2012 Model S in 2016, new Model 3 in 2018 and 2019 Bolt in July 2021.

I love them all. Tesla is a great travel car. Supercharger network is top notch. Tesla has BMW type premium car atmosphere. Bolt just fits in anywhere. I am looking to sell my Model S in the next year due to loss of warranty and Tesla charging $20K to replace batteries. Looking forward to almost new Bolt once battery replaced. My wife drives the Model 3. She loves it.
If you are worried about battery replacement take a look here:

Keith

·
Registered
72 Posts
We started with a 2013 Leaf, then a 2017 Bolt, which turned into a 2017 and 2019, then a 2020 and 2019, then a 2020 and 2021 (Repurchase) and now a 2021 and expectant Model 3. The Bolt was a great option, but with take-home pay improvements (YAY) and Bolts spontaneous combustion issues (BOO) having only one EV at risk at any moment seemed to make the most sense, which is why we sold the 2020, ordered a Model 3, while we wait for word on the 2021.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts