Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

How many Stars for the Bolt?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By now we all know how much more valuable feedback is from real owners over journalists that don't spend nearly enough time in these and don't come from the history of vehicles that some of us do, I see it happening way too often.

With that being said, from the experience most of you have had so far and will have, how many Stars would you give the Bolt?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Do you want to limit your poll to only those that own Bolts? If so, let us know.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is my fifth BEV, in almost 40 years of BEV experience ,that I have owned an operated a BEV, and it is by far the best by far, that I have ever been in.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm pleased with the Bolt EV so far. The only complaint I would have is that the suspension is a little tight, so driving on a not well maintained road or a freeway section that is under construction can be really rough at times, especially for those sitting in the back seat.

I'm sure that changing tires out may help with this, but stock "out of the box", that's my only complaint.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So far the only negative is the seats. They are pretty small- I am not overweight by any means (5'7, 135) and still don't have a lot of room on the left side. I find myself scooting to the far right of the seat more than I would in another car. I'm not uncomfortable, and I'm hoping I'll stay that way once my long commute starts (first drive tomorrow). I love everything else and the safety features (mine is loaded with all) seem to work well.

My three kids love it too and fit fine in the backseat (they are all young with two in booster seats). I can't wait for the Sirius trial to expire so I can stop listening to Kidz Bop, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The front seats are marginal for me (6', 185 lbs) and my relatively skinny butt. Unfortunately for GM, the uncomfortably narrow seats are likely to be a deal breaker for the majority of Americans that have a wider butt than I do. It makes no sense that GM made the seats about 1" too narrow; the weight increase of wider seats would have been negligible. There is also plenty of room between the seats and doors to allow for wider seats. Other than that, the engineering of the car is brilliant.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am generally happy with my new Bolt. (One week assessment.) As noted elsewhere in this forum, my worst problem is with the dash board reflecting windshield into the driver's eyes. Caused by large shiny dash with interior trim ( Light Ash Gray, Ceramic White, and Perforated Leather) available on the Premier with kinetic metallic blue paint. The Light Ash Gray is a very light gray and makes a totally unacceptable windshield reflection. (Don't get that one). I am adapting from driving a Jetta for the last 13 years and the Bolt is a very different car. I enjoy that it recovers energy going down hill as I live at 900 feet and the rest of the town is 200 to 400 ft in elevation. The regen paddle takes some getting used to. It is binary, on or off so using it to slow down in traffic is not convenient. OK for going down hills. Also it is attached to the steering wheel and rotates with the steering wheel when turning. That leaves me grasping for it in a turn. Apple Car Play is very convenient.
On the road, it is a somewhat bumpy ride, the power is certainly sufficient and it holds the road well. While at one level it is simple to drive, to understand its features and maximize its usefulness requires some digging into the manual. It reminds me of what happens to someone who gets an iPhone without previous experience and goes into overwhelm. (mostly the over 65 set).
So for the average consumer I would give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. For someone really interested in an electric vehicle or all ready familiar with EV's, I would give it about a 4. For the same price, you can certainly get a more luxurious gas powered car, with better seats, better sound and more space.

I believe electric cars are the future, for most drivers this is not going to be the car of now. It may take a long time to educate the public about electric cars and few people have even heard about the Bolt at this stage, let alone done the research necessary to consider it. My Jetta was rear-ended and totaled, so that was an incentive to get a new car. I bought the Bolt because I was ready for the adventure of owning an EV. As a physicist, I really enjoy conversion of kinetic energy back into electricity rather than just heating up brakes.
The adventure continues.

·
Registered
508 Posts
The front seats are marginal for me (6', 185 lbs) and my relatively skinny butt. Unfortunately for GM, the uncomfortably narrow seats are likely to be a deal breaker for the majority of Americans that have a wider butt than I do. It makes no sense that GM made the seats about 1" too narrow; the weight increase of wider seats would have been negligible. There is also plenty of room between the seats and doors to allow for wider seats. Other than that, the engineering of the car is brilliant.
I agree on the seats. I am 6-2 and 185 and they work OK, but the edges dig in after riding an hour or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I am generally happy with my new Bolt. (One week assessment.) As noted elsewhere in this forum, my worst problem is with the dash board reflecting windshield into the driver's eyes. Caused by large shiny dash with interior trim ( Light Ash Gray, Ceramic White, and Perforated Leather) available on the Premier with kinetic metallic blue paint. The Light Ash Gray is a very light gray and makes a totally unacceptable windshield reflection. (Don't get that one). I am adapting from driving a Jetta for the last 13 years and the Bolt is a very different car. I enjoy that it recovers energy going down hill as I live at 900 feet and the rest of the town is 200 to 400 ft in elevation. The regen paddle takes some getting used to. It is binary, on or off so using it to slow down in traffic is not convenient. OK for going down hills. Also it is attached to the steering wheel and rotates with the steering wheel when turning. That leaves me grasping for it in a turn. Apple Car Play is very convenient.
On the road, it is a somewhat bumpy ride, the power is certainly sufficient and it holds the road well. While at one level it is simple to drive, to understand its features and maximize its usefulness requires some digging into the manual. It reminds me of what happens to someone who gets an iPhone without previous experience and goes into overwhelm. (mostly the over 65 set).
So for the average consumer I would give it 2.5 out of 5 stars. For someone really interested in an electric vehicle or all ready familiar with EV's, I would give it about a 4. For the same price, you can certainly get a more luxurious gas powered car, with better seats, better sound and more space.

I believe electric cars are the future, for most drivers this is not going to be the car of now. It may take a long time to educate the public about electric cars and few people have even heard about the Bolt at this stage, let alone done the research necessary to consider it. My Jetta was rear-ended and totaled, so that was an incentive to get a new car. I bought the Bolt because I was ready for the adventure of owning an EV. As a physicist, I really enjoy conversion of kinetic energy back into electricity rather than just heating up brakes.
The adventure continues.
You're so right. The Bolt is no where near ICE powered cars in it's price range. It also just doesn't work for everybody. However purchase price aside, it's cheaper to run and it's actually fun to drive. It really will take time for the EV tech, price and public perception to converge.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It's a fantastic effort in several regards, with some critical flaws that need to be addressed. Averages out to a 3.5-4 for me, with many 5s and a range of 4s-1s. I'm having some of the 1s and 2s corrected to my liking, something I wouldn't normally tolerate, but I understand the background and meaning of this car. Hopefully I'll get an engineer's ear at some point.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Patting myself on the back for throwing in .5`s because if it wasn't for that then maybe the Bolt would get that clear of feedback. It's really helping to expose what they can improve on and i'm seeing a lot of little things reported, like in the Nitpick thread.

All those little things add up.

Next move for us should be a "How can Chevrolet improve the Bolt" thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We bought our Bolt Premier sight unseen. It is a terrific car so far. But, the front seat bottom is too small. Totally agree with PruniePrune about feeling like you want to scoot away from the outboard seat bolsters and toward the console. And, it's the edge stitching on the seat bolsters that are giving the problem. The seat bottom is fine, and we do not notice an issue with the inboard seat bolster. The seat back is comfortable for us. If the outboard bolster was about 2 inches more generous, before the edge stitching, then the seat bottom would cradle the okole, instead of making you feel like your sitting on the edge of an uncomfortable protuberance, which you are! Many cars have asymmetrical seat bottoms to accommodate the engineering needs for people's rear ends.

Folks with butts that fit, that's great. Older folks, more heavy folks, naturally ample folks, differences among the derrieres of differing genders folks: all are going to have problems with these seats. And, if you don't feel the stitching, there will be future problems anyway. The way the bolster is made is going to cause premature wear because that outboard panel takes so much stress with every entrance and exit. Take an honest look at how the seat operates when occupied.

My other gripe is with the low beam headlight visual range. On our car, the low beam headlight range is "hooded" and thus the range of the low beam light does not light anywhere above midway up the windshield. It's like there's a visor that precludes your vision for the top half of the windshield up--your looking into a tunnel. Turn on the brights and it all goes away, but can't drive around with the bright lights on. This is dangerous, in our opinion.

All done griping here. Otherwise, the car is phenomenal. Our range expectations are way beyond what we were expecting. Fix these fixable issues, and we'll likely buy another one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had mine for a week now. The lease was up on my Spark EV and I traded up. The new lease made me gulp a bit at the sticker shock but the driving experience so far has been wonderful. The Spark was fun and peppy but tiny. I commute daily to SF from the East Bay. The car is huge compared to the Spark EV! I like sitting up higher and being able to see the road and traffic. Impressive fit and finish. Seats and ride feel more like a German car than an American or Japanese car. I'm really pleased so far.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had mine for a week now. The lease was up on my Spark EV and I traded up. The new lease made me gulp a bit at the sticker shock but the driving experience so far has been wonderful. The Spark was fun and peppy but tiny. I commute daily to SF from the East Bay. The car is huge compared to the Spark EV! I like sitting up higher and being able to see the road and traffic. Impressive fit and finish. Seats and ride feel more like a German car than an American or Japanese car. I'm really pleased so far.
When it comes to EV driving dynamics how are you liking it in the Bolt compared to your Spark EV?

That's one thing i'm interested in, just to see from an owners perspective of how far Chevy has come all these years.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interested in hearing more if you care to share, giving a product 5 stars is a big thing, especially with all the minor issues i've been seeing around here. Even I have problems giving it 5 stars, 4.5 at best.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts