Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve looked through all the threads I can find here on tinting but I’m still struggling to figure how much I should tint my windows, if at all.

I’ve never tinted the windows in any car or truck I’ve owned, but I’ve never bought new before and most of what I’d owned had been tinted.

Before my i3, I had a Fiesta ST that was limo dark on sides and rear, probably more than Illinois law actually allows. My i3 was not as dark but still noticeably darker than stock. My truck is pretty dark sides and rear, to the point that it makes it harder to see when backing up to something at night without opening windows.

I have to park outside all day in the sun. Central Illinois isn’t the hottest area, but cars can still get quite warm outside. I park in a rock lot, so I don’t like leaving the windows cracked because it lets a lot of dust in.

It’s been highs in the 50’s and 60’s and the Bolt gets surprisingly warm. I can only imagine what it’s like in the summer.

I’m not going for a crazy dark look, I just want some heat rejection. I don’t know what the percentages are like in real life because I don’t know for sure what my other vehicles had. Would 50% all around make much of a difference and be worth doing? Or maybe 35% rear and back sides with 50% front sides?

Are some tint brands better than others? What should I expect to pay?

Or should I just let it get hot and use the remote start on the app to cool it off before I get in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
5,261 Posts
I went pretty dark, 15% as I recall, not legal but not too dark.

I also put window deflectors on and generally leave the windows cracked open an inch or so when parked in sun, it seems to vent enough hot air to make things a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
Read up on Low-E window tint. Low-E coating on house windows work great in keeping the house cool.

Toyota has UV Glass which is low-e window for the car.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,129 Posts
Preconditioning is your friend. Hit the "Auto" button on the air conditioner before you shut off the car. Then, when you ready to get back in the car, use the key fob or the MyChevrolet app to precondition your car a few minutes beforehand. The A/C doesn't use much power, and it doesn't start up the engine or burn any gas. Some people will even leave the Bolt "on" and locked while they go into a store.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Preconditioning is your friend. Hit the "Auto" button on the air conditioner before you shut off the car. Then, when you ready to get back in the car, use the key fob or the MyChevrolet app to precondition your car a few minutes beforehand. The A/C doesn't use much power, and it doesn't start up the engine or burn any gas. Some people will even leave the Bolt "on" and locked while they go into a store.
I need to get into the habit of that. With the i3, it just heated or cooled to 72 degrees, regardless of any setting.
I need to set a specific temp before getting out, right?

·
Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
2,859 Posts
Most states have a legal limit on the front windows at 35%. 15% is great during the day but you will not see anything that does not have lights at night. I briefly had 25% on my windows because the installer lied to me about the legal limit and they were too dark at night. I now have a 35% tint on all windows but the front and it is good during the day and night. Find a 3M dealer. Expect between $200 on the cheap side to $500 on the high side. Choice of film impacts cost as does the quality of the installer.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,129 Posts
I need to get into the habit of that. With the i3, it just heated or cooled to 72 degrees, regardless of any setting.
I need to set a specific temp before getting out, right?

Yes. If you're happy with the set temperature, you just have to push the "Auto" button (center of the temperature knob).

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
1,124 Posts
I had the windows of my Bolt tinted 2 weeks ago. I asked around locally and found a local place that uses a no name film and quoted an attractive price, with a 4 year warranty.
I asked here for comments.
Ceramic and 3M were common suggestions. I found a truck and car accessory shop about 100 mile away and called, they were very helpful and informative. Their suggestion was the max tint allowed by law and was made by 3M and was their Ceramic grade film. It cost a little more than the local using a no name film but comes with a lifetime warranty.
35% on the side windows, 15% on the rear window and a dark strip at the top of the windshield. Total cost was $325.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got ceramic 80% on our Bolt - Llumar Air 80. We wanted the heat/UV repelling properties but wanted as much visibility as we could get.
Do you have any pics of that? I would like good nighttime visibility mostly for deer. Central Illinois has massive white tailed deer. My daily commute goes through a heavy deer area. Most nights during the winter I see deer on my way home.

The reason the Fiesta ST is gone is that one ran right into the side of me. It was big, rolled down the side of the car, and set off the side airbags. I saw deer in the field on the other side, slowed down and was watching. Never saw the one that hit me until it was right there. That car had dark tint on the side windows. Not sure if it made a difference, but better visibility couldn’t have hurt.
Here’s a pic of the FiST if it helps.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Do you have any pics of that? I would like good nighttime visibility mostly for deer. Central Illinois has massive white tailed deer. My daily commute goes through a heavy deer area. Most nights during the winter I see deer on my way home.

The reason the Fiesta ST is gone is that one ran right into the side of me. It was big, rolled down the side of the car, and set off the side airbags. I saw deer in the field on the other side, slowed down and was watching. Never saw the one that hit me until it was right there. That car had dark tint on the side windows. Not sure if it made a difference, but better visibility couldn’t have hurt.
Here’s a pic of the FiST if it helps.

Showcase cover image for MDBolt's 2017 Chevrolet Bolt Premier

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’ve looked through all the threads I can find here on tinting but I’m still struggling to figure how much I should tint my windows, if at all.

I’ve never tinted the windows in any car or truck I’ve owned, but I’ve never bought new before and most of what I’d owned had been tinted.

Before my i3, I had a Fiesta ST that was limo dark on sides and rear, probably more than Illinois law actually allows. My i3 was not as dark but still noticeably darker than stock. My truck is pretty dark sides and rear, to the point that it makes it harder to see when backing up to something at night without opening windows.

I have to park outside all day in the sun. Central Illinois isn’t the hottest area, but cars can still get quite warm outside. I park in a rock lot, so I don’t like leaving the windows cracked because it lets a lot of dust in.

It’s been highs in the 50’s and 60’s and the Bolt gets surprisingly warm. I can only imagine what it’s like in the summer.

I’m not going for a crazy dark look, I just want some heat rejection. I don’t know what the percentages are like in real life because I don’t know for sure what my other vehicles had. Would 50% all around make much of a difference and be worth doing? Or maybe 35% rear and back sides with 50% front sides?

Are some tint brands better than others? What should I expect to pay?

Or should I just let it get hot and use the remote start on the app to cool it off before I get in?

Get the 15% for front and 35% for the rear. If it’s too dark you will have a hard time with it at night. Also make sure to get the silver tint. LOOKS AWESOME. $250 tops. Get windshield visor. Use the remote start. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Nov build
8,798 Posts
I got ceramic 80% on our Bolt - Llumar Air 80. We wanted the heat/UV repelling properties but wanted as much visibility as we could get.
Wow, very nice! How much did this cost?

Is this it?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Wow, very nice! How much did this cost?

Is this it?
It was actually this:

A local tint guy had it in stock, and set me back 440 for all the Bolt glass except the windshield. Definitely getting it done again once buyback is complete.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, that's hardly noticeable from the outside. Does it do a good job? I'm not sure if I would like the greenishness though.

Oops. Reverse those 15 and 35. Also make sure you check your city laws.
Illinois law is weird, it says sedans are limited to 35% sides and back, but trucks and SUV's are limited to 50% on front side windows, and any level on back side windows and rear. I'm not sure if they would view it as an SUV, so I'm probably stuck with the sedan limits.

I'm starting to think i'm set on 35% for back sides and rear (and that's what the law says), but not sure whether to do 35% or 50% on front sides.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts