Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

How much were you able to get below MSRP ?

337K views 1K replies 412 participants last post by  OkieBolt 
#1 ·
Hi, about to jump into the EV ownership experience and order the Bolt.
As I've read most people say that MSRP is basically what dealers go by.
I spoke with a local dealership, and they were doing a 'rainy day' special of $500 off
msrp. Almost went in and placed the order by didn't end up going, but this
shows at least some dealership is willing to haggle. Anyone has similar
experience ?

#2 ·
I think it will probably follow supply vs. demand in most markets. If you want one of the earlier, initial quality plagued models like most of us : /
you may have to pony up MSRP or close to it. Sometimes manufacturers offer up incentives across their lines, like "switch from a competitor" incentives or others, we'll have to wait and see what GM is offering when the car we want/order arrives. The silver lining of getting a car in Jan-Feb is that many dealers aren't too busy around then, so we'll see if they do anything to entice consumers that doesn't end with an asterisk *except Bolt EV.
FYI, I called the Costco Auto Program the other day, and they had no info about the Bolt. They said that they typically start to be able to get new model cars 60-90 days after they start hitting the dealerships. Essentially, when the dealers have stock they want to get rid of.

#6 ·
That's what I would think but @devbolt posted this the other day so I'm kinda confused as well.

Went down to the local dealership last night and ordered a Bolt Premier in Kinetic Blue Metallic (extra $395) with the DC Fast charging ($750), Driver Confidence II ($495), & Infotainment packages ($485). This is a real order with a real order number, not just putting my name on a wish list. Dealer has gotten 25 allocations, and I'm number 17. Every dealer I've contacted seems to be selling at MSRP. $1000 refundable deposit was all that was required to secure my slot/order.

#8 ·
The salesman that I worked with to place my Bolt order guaranteed me that he would sell it to me at MSRP. No markups or extra add-ons. If, for some reason, I were to pass on the car, he would have no qualms about slapping a markup on it and see if someone bit.

Invoice price, not counting hold back, is about 96% of MSRP. Which means about $1700 of profit for the dealership on a fully loaded Bolt Premier with all the options. There's not a lot of room for negotiation, at least in this first round of deliveries. None of the dealerships I talked to were willing to negotiate price. They didn't seem to have any trouble filling their allocation slots. I was #17 out of 25 that that dealership had. And they had only started taking orders about 4 or 5 days earlier.

It's not worth the time to me to try and save $500 - $1000 off of a car that is already over $40K. I'd rather get the car that I want and not have to play games. It's less than an extra $25 a month on a 5-year loan.

#9 ·
Most customers buy what the dealer has on the lot, and they (not the customer) select the options when ordering. The better dealers allow you to place a custom order with (or without) options as to buy the vehcile as you really want it. That will cost more, but the important detail is that you will be satisfied with the purchase for as long as you own the vehicle.

My 1995 Buick Regal, which I had to search for at several GM dealers, had all the factory options, except the sunroof. It cost me $27,500 in December 1994 (and financed at 1.8% interest for 60 months), but I was enchanted with my purchase. I drove it for 21 years, and sold it December 2015 to a friend who also loves it.

That is how one should buy a car! BTW, I never haggle to lower the price because the dealer later gives me discounts for services and parts, such that in those 21 years I spend much less than any other who would have haggled. My present vehicle is a 2009 Chevy Equinox which I bought during GM's bankruptcy, with no haggling, but at zero (0%) interest. And I still love it! If I can get a Chevy Bolt EV in 2017, it will replace the Equinox, as the cargo area difference bewteen them isn't much, but the passenger space in the Bolt EV is larger than in the Equinox. Then I will not spend any more money on gasoline or gas engine maintenence.

#22 ·
Even though a discount doesn't currently show in the supplier pricing system when I access it directly, I got a supplier pricing quote from the dealer I went to:
  • Bolt Premier (Kinetic Blue Metallic)
  • Infotainment Package
  • Driver Confidence II Package

$41595 supplier pricing

#36 ·
And which dealer?

btw, I put in a deposit at Keyes Chevy, but the GM is a bit of a douchebag. So I contacted Rydell Chevy and put my name in for a Bolt that is coming in soon that hasn't been reserved yet. Expecting Costco pricing + whatever incentives may be available. Rydell also said they do out of state deals (I am in MD).

#33 ·
Hey All!

Today a dealer in the Oakland area quoted $300 under the MSRP for a loaded Metallic Blue Premier Bolt using my Costco membership. I'd love to know how I could get an additional $1,600 if Reeler is open to sharing (feel free to PM me)! The intended production date for the vehicle is the week 12/19.

Advice on haggling welcome, though the scaled-back release does not seem to give much wiggle room...

#34 ·
One way that works industry wide is shopping around for a better price and having them compete on getting your business. That for me has worked in the past. Some of them will give you a price lower than the competition plus a little extra as an incentive.

#35 ·
I see no reason at all for any dealer (or GM for that matter) offering discounts at this point in the game. Try and sell everything you get of a limited resource at full price, discount after a month or three IF demand winds down.

#46 ·
IT was up prematurely and then taken down. Those of us with Costco pricing have gotten commitments from the Costco dealers that they will honor it when it's "officially" released. We'll see what that is...my dealer told me he was fairly certain it was $600 under invoice.

FWIW you can still configure a Bolt and see invoice at cars.com and at least one other site that escapes me currently.

#50 ·
Update!

I got my Saturday update email and it stated no progress (still in 'order transmitted), so I was getting pretty bummed. An hour later my dealer called me to say my Bolt had completed assembly and was ready for shipment. It should be arriving "mid to late December" as part of Capitol Chevrolet's first Bolt shipment. Huzzah!

When I know more I'll update the post. :)

#52 ·
I got the same email from Capitol Chevrolet on Saturday... then I did an online chat with Chevrolet this morning (Monday). Chevrolet online chat is saying that my order status shows my car has been produced, but has not yet been shipped yet.

Maybe Capitol Chevrolet jumped the gun on that email? Still hoping to take delivery before year end.

#54 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy controls when the first retail customer deliveries from dealerships occur. They could then stage some number of vehicles at select dealerships (hidden in the back) and only allow deliveries starting on a certain date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.