Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen anyone discuss how to handle the car wash situation. The manual discusses how to put the car in Neutral but fails to recognize that the person that needs to know how to do this is not the owner/driver but the person that drives the vehicle from where you leave it with the attendant at the vacuum station and drives it to the conveyor track where it grabs the front tire to pull the vehicle through the wash. Do you stay with the car and do it for them or do you instruct them on how to have the car stay in neutral by putting it in neutral with the driver's door open? Further, they may not know how to put the car in drive.

I'm curious to hear how those of you that have had the vehicle for some time have handled this so I will know how to handle it and not risk damage to my Bolt. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same concerns and hand-washed the car for the first six months. Then last month it was too cold to wash the car outside (summer in SF, go figure) and decided to take it down to the car wash. I waited at the drop off point to see if they needed any help but the guy put it right in gear and off it went.

They may handle enough different cars every day that they inherently know what to do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have enough Bolts in your area to trust to this, but where I live in Riverside, CA, I haven't seen that many that I would trust that the car wash person is familiar with the car and knows what to do. Having your car dragged through the car wash with the parking break on or in gear doesn't sound like a risk worth taking. I think I will insist on driving into the car wash.

By the way, why did they have to make it so complicated? Why not be able to put the car in Neutral with the driver's door closed like any other car?

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I've never heard of an attendant driving the car through an automatic wash. Doesn't that defeat the point of an automatic wash? Just stay in the vehicle and drive it onto the rollers yourself. The attendant will probably be happy to have less work to do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They don't drive it through, they drive it from the drop off point where they vacuum the car to the rollers where it moves the car through the car wash. It is that last step that concerns me and obviously others.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Must be a Bay Area thing, and if so, the attendants are probably acquainted with the Bolt by now.

I prefer to do my own vacuuming; a: because I own a shop vac and b: to ensure I don't suck up something important and c: I'm more careful than minimum wage monkeys.

My cars get washed about twice a year, so I'm no expert on exterior care. I spend 99.9% of my time inside the car, so I don't care about the outside too much, and we don't salt the roads in Oregon. Mostly I hand wash vehicles and apply a carnauba based wax.

If I get a Bolt as a company vehicle, then perhaps I'd have it washed more frequently, especially since I can expense it. The washes around here all allow you to remain in the vehicle the whole time. Roll the window down to pay the cashier while guys scrub down the spots that would get missed by the machine. By the time the guy gets back with the credit card and a receipt, you're loading onto the rollers and putting the window up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely different here in SoCal. First, there are usually multiple lines and lots of cars and you drop off in the line waiting to be vacuumed and then washed. You specify to the attendant the type of wash you want and they give you a ticket to take inside to the cashier to pay. Then you go to the waiting area until your car comes out and has been hand dried, tires dressed, etc. They signal when the car is don and ready for you. So there are two points in this process where a low wage attendant is driving your car. First from the line/vacuum station to the roller track and second, when it leaves the last roller, they drive it to where it will be dried off. A driver that doesn't know how to deal with a Bolt could do damage to your vehicle at either point. I assumed that owners that have had their car for a while have encountered and dealt with this situation. I have only had ours for about 2 weeks but it need an exterior cleaning. I was looking for how others have handled this to avoid potential damage to their cars by unknowledgeable employees. Even the dealers aren't as knowledgeable as they should be.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
To my (low, to be sure) knowledge, there are few (no?) car wash stations which will NOT allow you to remain in the vehicle (passenger seat?) during the whole process. Pay first, I understand, but let an EVinexperienced driver drive my Bolt without my being present... I don't think so.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've never let someone like valet, car wash attendent, or oil change monkey ever drive any car I've owned. I certainly won't start letting them drive my Bolt!

Car washes are like gas stations, if they won't let you stay in the car, go to another one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Automatic car washes are a bad idea if you care about your paint. The touchless washes are good if I have to have a cleaning and its too cold. There is no attendant at the touchless car wash. Otherwise I wash it myself. Automatic car washes get all kind of dirt built up into those brushes and the mop like things that swing back and forth...using them on a regular basis is...IMO...equivalent to slowly tearing the paint off your car over time. Its a small car and easy to wash on your own and you will get more satisfaction knowing the job is done right. This is a car care and detail forum so this must be said folks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The other night I was out and nature's car wash did it's thing. Of course a clean vehicle of any sort is a target for our local birds, who will come along and do their thing as soon as they see a freshly washed vehicle.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I bought the soft scrubbing mitt, very soft drying towels (3), and the soap at Advance Auto. To wet it, scrub it, rinse it, and "dry" it takes about 20 minutes which I consider "bonding time". (And I bet my oxytocin levels temporarily rise... just a little.)

·
Registered
735 Posts
I bought the soft scrubbing mitt, very soft drying towels (3), and the soap at Advance Auto. To wet it, scrub it, rinse it, and "dry" it takes about 20 minutes which I consider "bonding time". (And I bet my oxytocin levels temporarily rise... just a little.)
You have some serious patience. I used to be into the whole process with my first cars but now its either a good quality touchless wash and/or a professional detailer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Definitely different here in SoCal. First, there are usually multiple lines and lots of cars and you drop off in the line waiting to be vacuumed and then washed. You specify to the attendant the type of wash you want and they give you a ticket to take inside to the cashier to pay. Then you go to the waiting area until your car comes out and has been hand dried, tires dressed, etc. They signal when the car is don and ready for you. So there are two points in this process where a low wage attendant is driving your car. First from the line/vacuum station to the roller track and second, when it leaves the last roller, they drive it to where it will be dried off. A driver that doesn't know how to deal with a Bolt could do damage to your vehicle at either point. I assumed that owners that have had their car for a while have encountered and dealt with this situation. I have only had ours for about 2 weeks but it need an exterior cleaning. I was looking for how others have handled this to avoid potential damage to their cars by unknowledgeable employees. Even the dealers aren't as knowledgeable as they should be.

What I do when I go to the car wash is I leave the instruction card that came with the Bolt hanging around the gear shifter. It has a ring that you can hang it with, and it's written in multiple languages with pictures.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I usually go to the wash yourself place but that was for older cars. And even then it was not but once a year after Winter.

Scrub-a-dub has an unlimited program that I am looking into. Saw it on the AAA paper I get. $82 for 3 months of the Super Choice through AAA. On the website for Scrubadub it is $30 a month or $14.50 per wash ( if you sign up for unlimited and it has auto payments only, 2 month minimum and 1st month is $20). I would SPEND extra $2 if I go through AAA, go figure.

I am thinking about this because of Winter here and Salt. But how often do you all wash your car? it would be worth it if I washed it more then twice a month.

Any issues with the Undercarriage wash and the Bolt ?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've never let someone like valet, car wash attendent, or oil change monkey ever drive any car I've owned. I certainly won't start letting them drive my Bolt!

Car washes are like gas stations, if they won't let you stay in the car, go to another one.
That is a problem in Oregon where filling your own car with gasoline is illegal. Fortunately, doesn't apply to DCFC ?

·
Registered
724 Posts
That is a problem in Oregon where filling your own car with gasoline is illegal. Fortunately, doesn't apply to DCFC ?

Ook that has got to be the dumbest thing I have heard. So Oregon thinks that drivers are to stupid to put gas in their own car?? Do Farmers have to bring their tractors in to be filled too :laugh:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts