Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a new 2018 Bolt owner. I do not think I am getting to a full charge using 8 amp limit, AC charger from dealer, plugging in overnight. The charging stops at some point overnight. The Power Flow screen shows about 4 of the bars grey, not green. Hilltop reserve off. The average mileage estimate is nowhere near the 215 showed when I drove out the car from the local dealership. Live in the Boston area.

One of the related threads had a post suggesting to just restart the charging. How do i do that?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Is the electric wall plug getting hot? THere's a temperature sensor in the male plug on the EVSE provided with the car. Could it be a shutdown due to a poor condition plug in your garage?

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Hi I am a new 2018 Bolt owner. I do not think I am getting to a full charge using 8 amp limit, AC charger from dealer, plugging in overnight. The charging stops at some point overnight. The Power Flow screen shows about 4 of the bars grey, not green. Hilltop reserve off. The average mileage estimate is nowhere near the 215 showed when I drove out the car from the local dealership. Live in the Boston area.

One of the related threads had a post suggesting to just restart the charging. How do i do that?
It should be three grey bars, and you are in "hilltop" mode. See page 132 of the manual. It charges the car to 87-88%, which helps battery life, and makes regen more effective right out of the driveway. If you don't need the extra range, just leave it. The range guess-o-meter is based on an average of some number of previous drives. It changes all the time, and can't tell the future. I pretty much ignore it. You will now get 200 responses explaining that I am an idiot. :)

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
you are not an idiot. You just overlooked the "hilltop reserve off" in the opening post ?
Old, and not enough coffee. I would definitely check the connections at the outlet. I had a loose one that didn't show up for years of intermittent use with my drill press. Pulling even only 8 amps,for hours, is different. Also check for GFI tripping.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Hi I am a new 2018 Bolt owner. I do not think I am getting to a full charge using 8 amp limit, AC charger from dealer, plugging in overnight.
It's very slow to charge on 120V at 8A - it will take almost two full days (48+ hours) to completely charge the car from empty. If you're driving each day more than you can recoup overnight at such a slow charge rate, you need to investigate how to use a faster charge - either by:

(a) finding a circuit that lets you charge on 120V at 12A (still somewhat slow), or

(b) finding or installing a 240V circuit and either buying a 240V EVSE or making an adapter to let you use the EVSE that came with the Bolt on a 240V circuit.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Correct:
8A @ 120V default setting for Bolt stock EVSE = about 3mi/hr charge rate
12A @120V High setting in charge preferences screen of Bolt = about 4mi/hr charge rate
12A @ 240V Bolt stock EVSE with a 240V adapter dongle = about 8mi/hr charge rate
and installing a 32A or a 40A Level 2 EVSE will allow you to charge at about 25mi/hr charge rate

·
Registered
786 Posts
Correct:
12A @120V High setting in charge preferences screen of Bolt = about 4mi/hr charge rate
12A @ 240V Bolt stock EVSE with a 240V adapter dongle = about 8mi/hr charge rate
and installing a 32A or a 40A Level 2 EVSE will allow you to charge at about 25mi/hr charge rate
All of these answers are correct. I don't have a Chevy Bolt EV yet (I am still paying off a few loans first), but I have a JuiceBox Level 2 EVSE (built from a kit in 2015) that is rated at 16 kW (I upgraded the internal wiring for 80 amps), but it was set only for 30 amps (7.2 kW). I guess GM read about my setup ;) and announced the Chevy Bolt EV in January 2015 with a onboard charger for exactly 7.2 kW.

So I am ready to charge at 30 Amps as soon as I park my future BEV.

·
Registered
783 Posts
240 volt charger only absolutely essential for long distance driving

Correct:
As a matter of interest, the numbers may not represent the real world. I find that because my average miles per day is 54 miles, I am always charging close to 80%, using hilltop reserve, which slows the charging rate down a bit. So my average charge rate at 32A 240 volts is 19.2 mi/hr not 25 mi/hr. Of course, I could wait a few days before charging, to obtain a higher charge rate, but there is no point. I don't stand in my garage waiting for it to charge.... This is why a 120 volt charger could work at home, because most of us will not be charging to obtain many miles. Using this logic its only on long-distance driving that the 240 volt charger becomes absolutely essential, when you are charging from a low state of charge every night. Nevertheless, I never use a 120 volt charger. I am impatient.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I guess GM read about my setup ;) and announced the Chevy Bolt EV in January 2015 with a onboard charger for exactly 7.2 kW.

FWIW, the Bolt maxes out at 32 A. The most I’ve seen it draw is 7.75 kW which is a full 32 A at 242 volts. Usually it quickly settles down to drawing 7.66 kW, which turns out to be the number you’d get drawing 31.9 A at 240 volts (fewer at 243 which seems to be my typical voltage).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It should be three grey bars, and you are in "hilltop" mode. See page 132 of the manual. It charges the car to 87-88%, which helps battery life, and makes regen more effective right out of the driveway. If you don't need the extra range, just leave it. The range guess-o-meter is based on an average of some number of previous drives. It changes all the time, and can't tell the future. I pretty much ignore it. You will now get 200 responses explaining that I am an idiot. :)
Thanks! I only refer to the Power - Flow screen for battery-charge status. Not in hilltop mode.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the electric wall plug getting hot? There's a temperature sensor in the male plug on the EVSE provided with the car. Could it be a shutdown due to a poor condition plug in your garage?
The car is parked outside, next to house. I live in Boston area where this late winter - early spring has been unusually cold. I checked neither the charger's lights nor touch it. Plug has been working and has had little use until now. No tripped circuit breaker and no other load on the circuit that I am aware of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's cold outside, the standard OEM EVSE on 8 amps can't keep up if battery starts conditioning.
Thanks! This could be the issue since it has been an unusually cold spring here in Boston. Battery Conditioning is currently at 3% but do not know what that means.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Old, and not enough coffee. I would definitely check the connections at the outlet. I had a loose one that didn't show up for years of intermittent use with my drill press. Pulling even only 8 amps,for hours, is different. Also check for GFI tripping.
Thanks! no GFI trip and circuit has had little use (except for my electric warming mats to melt snow near house entrance.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's very slow to charge on 120V at 8A - it will take almost two full days (48+ hours) to completely charge the car from empty. If you're driving each day more than you can recoup overnight at such a slow charge rate, you need to investigate how to use a faster charge - either by:

(a) finding a circuit that lets you charge on 120V at 12A (still somewhat slow), or

(b) finding or installing a 240V circuit and either buying a 240V EVSE or making an adapter to let you use the EVSE that came with the Bolt on a 240V circuit.
Yes likely that was my issue, though I recall the car had stopped charging before full charge. Did reach full charge yesterday after over 24 hours of charging.

Agreed about EVSE and since I do not travel everyday, can get by with the 120V for now. On last charge I did switch to 12A with no issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Correct:
Thanks for the info! Was not sure but it looks like the charging is linear on amount of miles needed and the number of volts held on the circuit.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
As others have said, the 120 volt EVSE won't keep up with charging the battery and heating the battery. It will barely work in nice weather.

You say the charging stopped. Is the light on the dash top solid green? I have found that if I unplug, and plug it back in, when done charging in "hilltop" mode, it will start charging again anyway for a few more kWh. The light starts flashing green again then too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All of these answers are correct. I don't have a Chevy Bolt EV yet (I am still paying off a few loans first), but I have a JuiceBox Level 2 EVSE (built from a kit in 2015) that is rated at 16 kW (I upgraded the internal wiring for 80 amps), but it was set only for 30 amps (7.2 kW). I guess GM read about my setup ;) and announced the Chevy Bolt EV in January 2015 with a onboard charger for exactly 7.2 kW.

Nice. I love my Bolt EV especially the 3.8 cents per mile I believe I got from the first 240 miles.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
As others have said, the 120 volt EVSE won't keep up with charging the battery and heating the battery. It will barely work in nice weather.
Well, that entirely depends on how far your average drive is. If your average drive is short enough, then you can make it work on 120V. You can even drive a fair distance on one or two days, as long as the average is low enough for you to "catch up" on the days you don't drive so far.

That being said, I'm using the stock EVSE at 240V and it's a lot more worry-free that way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts