Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been scoring well on technique (after I mastered driving in L mode) and the outside temperature is making my new 2017 Bolt happy, and the terrain is flat. BUT I'm not understanding why I'm getting a negative climate control score when I'm not even running anything and have the windows open in town. :unsure:Any enlightenment for a newbie would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I agree you should ignore that screen. But, to answer your question, the Bolt has an automatic defrost feature. It's set to on by default and can be changed to off in the settings menu. When it's set to on, the A/C or heat will come on even though you have those features turned off on the dash. Talk about frustrating....
Most people turn that feature off. Maybe (?) that's why you got a negative "score" on climate control.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I wish I could literally turn that screen off. It’s just dumb.

I think GM put it in there so they could point to it to say “your driving sucks” any time a customer complains about range. Because that screen always says we suck.

After three years, I stopped caring about efficiency and only care about if and where I may need to charge on a trip. I’ve been on one trip where I DCFCd.

One. (I haven’t had any opportunities to go one more.).

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I am always (or at least mostly) above average on the efficiency screen. I average 4.3 miles per kWh lifetime with over 7500 miles so far. 4.3 miles/kWh X 60 kWh = 258 mils range in a 2019 Bolt EV...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I think GM put it in there so they could point to it to say “your driving sucks” any time a customer complains about range. Because that screen always says we suck.
Agree, it's so GM could have a scapegoat answer if a customer complains his range is lower than expected. "If you only drive in town on flat roads in 70-degree weather, the average max range is 238 miles. If any of these conditions are not present, your range will be less."

We live on a hilltop with six months of winter; thus our 'climate' and 'terrain' scores are always -5. We're always going to set the climate control on 70-auto, so that score is a -5. Result, the screen is useless.

jack vines

·
Registered
2017 Bolt
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree you should ignore that screen. But, to answer your question, the Bolt has an automatic defrost feature. It's set to on by default and can be changed to off in the settings menu. When it's set to on, the A/C or heat will come on even though you have those features turned off on the dash. Talk about frustrating....
Most people turn that feature off. Maybe (?) that's why you got a negative "score" on climate control.
Thank you! I knew it was a good idea to join this forum!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts