Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

Just finished putting 4x (2 packs of 2 bulbs) Philips Xtreme Vision 360 X-tremeUltinon LED on my 2022 Bolt EUV and figured I would share some pictures and a little how to.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Obligatory not affiliated with Philips, I bought all of this myself, none of it was provided to me, etc...

Parts Installed:
Philips Xtreme Vision 360 X-tremeUltinon LED

Time required: 0.25hrs

Tools used:
Dualeco Trim Removal Set
8mm Gearwrench socket

Front:

Using a double 90* hook similar to the one near the D shift button, pull on the clear front covers near the front of the car. You can see in the photo below there are two little hinge brackets and one long tab. Initially I tried pulling it out with the long tab but that takes a lot of force, marred the tan plastic, and was not as easy as pulling straight down on the hinge parts.

Vehicle Grille Hood Light Automotive lighting

Next you will have to remove the white reflector. Guide the hook up near where the tabs go by the light control switch and pull straight down. You can see in the second photo below it is held on with 4 tabs.

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting White Vehicle Light

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

Once you have removed the white reflector, pull the bulbs out. There is nothing holding them in except friction, but it was a decent pull to get mine loose.

Plant Vehicle White Light Motor vehicle

Install the new LEDs and test them using the switch right there. I got the one on the left in correctly first try, but had to reverse the one on the right.

Reverse the above steps to reinstall: Push the white reflector straight up, then slide the long tab of the clear switch/shields into place and snap the hinges back into place. Give them a push or two to check function; the long tab might be misaligned and need to be put in its proper place with your hook.

Rear:

The rears took a bit longer to figure out and I'll admit I accidently marred some of the soft tan plastic around the clear lense trying to get it out similar to the front before I realized you had to remove the rear grab handles.

Use your pick to pop open the screw covers and uing an 8mm socket, remove both bolt. The handle will stay in place with some cactus tabs on either end (what is the actual name of those things... ? ratcheting tabs ?).

Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive wheel system Audio equipment

Now the fun part of pulling the tan trim off. I gently pulled with my fingers until something gave (usually a surefire way to break something... thankfully not the case). To remove the tan trim you pull gently on the top until it rotates out. You can see the tabs and why 2 photos down, but theres a plastic tab that locks it in on the bottom and a flat metal spring tab on the top.

Product Circuit component Gadget Font Audio equipment

Twist the bulb enclosure counter clockwise about 1/8-1/5 of a turn to release it and swap the bulb.

Car Plant Vehicle Steering part Motor vehicle

Flight instruments Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Cockpit

Sunglasses Hood Bumper Watch Everyday carry

Put the bulb in and twist clockwise to lock. TEST it to make sure its orientation is correct.

To reinstall, reverse the steps; slide the bottom plastic tab into place and rotate the top up until the spring... springs out. Put the grab handle cactus tabs back into their respective holes, line the bolts up, and tighten. I gave them a short ugga dugga and pulled on the grab bar to check strength. There was no threadlocker visible on the bolts.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wait.. A car in 2022 is still using incandescent bulbs?!?
haha yes. My thoughts exactly. Although LEDs do emit more EMI than incandescent bulbs do which can interfere in key fob and TPMS operation. I put some dirty LEDs in my diesel Colorado and it has limited my keychain usefulness to only times when the interior lights are out lol. I tested the keyfob on the Bolt and had no such issues, even from 57' away (measured with an LRF).

Time to put some of these automotive Philips in my truck !

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Geezus, can they make it harder to get it a tiny little bulb?
haha overall, it was not too bad and hopefully based on this others wont make the same marring mistakes I did. I'm not sure how I would design these enclosures any different, given it's a procedure that really should only be done 2-3 times over the life of the vehicle to replace the OEM incandescents when they burn out. In fact, just my preference, but with my garage and tool setup, I actually prefer the rear light method where I can pull two bolts, rotate and pull to get the bulb out. I'm not as gentle as I should be with those picks and always end up denting the soft trim plastic...

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will you be switching out the reverse lights to led?
Possibly. My driveway is a blackhole (last house on the street, 1.0 acre lots for all houses with dense trees on all, 50% of the acres are back/side yards and unbuilt) but I haven't really been disappointed with the Bolt's reverse lights yet.

With the EUV I'm trying to upgrade things as I find a need for them rather than a want. I know interior LEDs can fall into either category though... So far I've just done the usual daily driver installs I have in every vehicle: sunshade, weathertech floor mats, dash cam, and interior LEDs. Looking to put 30% ceramic tint on the windows since they're untinted and I live in the south.

I have my truck for what my office calls "recreational engineering", aka upgrading things or building them up more than is necessary or needed, but I'd also argue that upgrading things when the "need" arises is a recipe for getting stranded on an offroad trail when something broke lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts