Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to contact Chevy somehow to ask for a new "feature". The heating and cooling button should be separated. It is now winter here in New Brunswick and I usually set the auto heat at 21 C. At first it is great but after a while it becomes a little too warm with our winter coats and all so I lower the temperature selector to 18C. Well since the cabin is at 21 the AC system turns on to cool down the cabin to 18C. I assume that in the summer the same will happen. Jump in the car set the temp to 16c, it becomes too cold so turn it up a little to 19C and bam the heat turns on in the middle of July...

Where can I go to ask that to chevy?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Could write a letter addressed to: Brand Manager EV’s, GM Canada, 1908 Colonel Sam Drive, Oshawa ON, L1H8P7.

Although I think you may address the problem yourself: when you want the cabin temp to go down from 21C to 18C: just push the heat/ac button in order to turn off the heat/ac. Thus you’re then in manual mode, then just blow in some fresh outside air using the fan button until the cabin temp feels about right at 18 or a little below. Then resume the heat/ac button after adjusting temp at 18C. What would help here would be an air temp readout of temp inside the cabin.

In the summer it’s better to cool the vehicle gradually to where you like it. Rather than setting temp too low and then having to increase it.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I would like to contact Chevy somehow to ask for a new "feature". The heating and cooling button should be separated.
I totally agree. But I think the chances of getting it changed are essentially zero.

Maintaining a comfortable temperature in a car is tricky at best. My wife and I have always traded off being too cool or too hot, depending which side the sun is on, and which of us is overdressed. Our etiquette for this, for obvious reasons, is that it is the responsibility of the passenger to add/remove garments to get comfortable.

In the Bolt, we have settled on leaving the temperature setting alone, and adjusting fan speed, and switching between face level, and foot level vents.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I totally agree. But I think the chances of getting it changed are essentially zero.

Maintaining a comfortable temperature in a car is tricky at best. My wife and I have always traded off being too cool or too hot, depending which side the sun is on, and which of us is overdressed. Our etiquette for this, for obvious reasons, is that it is the responsibility of the passenger to add/remove garments to get comfortable.

In the Bolt, we have settled on leaving the temperature setting alone, and adjusting fan speed, and switching between face level, and foot level vents.
To be fair, climate control with two different people in the car has always been an issue with any car. That's why they invented dual climate zone control. Unfortunately the Bolt is old school and doesn't have that. I expect the Buick version will since Buick pioneered dual climate zones.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Although I think you may address the problem yourself: when you want the cabin temp to go down from 21C to 18C: just push the heat/ac button in order to turn off the heat/ac. Thus you’re then in manual mode, then just blow in some fresh outside air using the fan button until the cabin temp feels about right at 18 or a little below. Then resume the heat/ac button after adjusting temp at 18C. What would help here would be an air temp readout of temp inside the cabin.

In the summer it’s better to cool the vehicle gradually to where you like it. Rather than setting temp too low and then having to increase it.
All good advice. In the winter time you can cool the car with just the fan and outdoor air. If you leave the temperature set and in auto, the climate system will try to maintain that temperature using the colder outside air only. In the summer, if you find you have over cooled the car, then I find that if you just shut the AC/Heat off, it will pipe in hot air from outside.

It does take some fiddling with and experimentation so as to find the best strategy for your personal tastes. Time in the Bolt will get you that. The good news is, that's why we bought a Bolt with a bigger battery. It allows some use of heat and AC and still get you to your destination.

IMO, unless your commute everyday is very short, a BEV buyer would be very foolish to buy any car that can't get over 200 miles in range right now. Not only for traveling, but also because range can be traded for comfort, or even fun. I'm looking forward to better and better batteries in the future so we can put all this conservation stuff behind us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well all they need to do is rewrite the software and make 2 buttons... pretty easy fix. I will propose the change, we never know, GM said the Bolt could do OTA update. If they were to implement that change OTA, it would be a good marketing stunt!

I am aware that I can adjust the air temp manually, but I paid 50 grand for the car (CAD, no incentive) and that is something that I think should be standard

·
Registered
173 Posts
OP, what gets me is the blast of cold air, even when adjusting temp from 20c to 19c. Ok, it's efficient but talk about an on/off switch.

Seriously considering pulling one of the AC fuses to see how that goes. Although I will try the auto/manual trick first that Cehjun mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
submission #1132227 . I contacted GM on FB and they sent me a form to fill in for new Ideas/marketing ideas/invention. I filled it and someone from consumer satisfaction called me. He seemed pretty interested in the update I proposed. I also told him that it would be a great marketing strategy to implement that change OTA like Tesla does. He agreed.

Now I just got an email from GM Product development and they said they are looking into it.

So maybe we will get to control what is on or off in our cars.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would like to contact Chevy somehow to ask for a new "feature". The heating and cooling button should be separated. It is now winter here in New Brunswick and I usually set the auto heat at 21 C. At first it is great but after a while it becomes a little too warm with our winter coats and all so I lower the temperature selector to 18C. Well since the cabin is at 21 the AC system turns on to cool down the cabin to 18C. I assume that in the summer the same will happen. Jump in the car set the temp to 16c, it becomes too cold so turn it up a little to 19C and bam the heat turns on in the middle of July...

Where can I go to ask that to chevy?
Thats very interesting. I just did a drive today and posted the details in another thread. I had the heater on 23C auto today and turned it to 21C auto and the fans just slowed down. I felt no cold, but I will check it next time, maybe there is a threshold?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Buy a competitors car!
Whoa. What if you're not kidding ?

Okay let’s try to explain to a died-in-wool Teslarati. The sensibility of a New Brunswicker buying a Bolt EV from his Chevy dealer in his home province of New Brunswick, Canada.

Here are a few key points:
- Does Tesla sell into New Brunswick ? Don’t think so - - the farthest Tesla goes east in Canada is Montreal
- So buy it in Montreal ? Then one faces the hassle getting Quebec Sales Tax (8%) rebated to you, while New Brunswick is sure to nail you 15% Harmonized Sales Tax assuming you wish to have a vehicle ownership paper and a license plate that’s legal,
- Then there’s the price, the barebones Tesla 75D appears to list at $97,950 Canadian dollars (CAD) in Canada. That’s a mere $46,320 CAD more than a Bolt EV red Premier with both packages. And that’s assuming it costs you zero to ship your Tesla from Montreal down to say, Fredericton.
- But you say, the 75D has AWD. Correct – good thing to have in Canada. But the Bolt’s FWD works pretty good up here too. Bolt EV’s FWD is sure a lot better than a RWD.
- And back to pricing: the Bolt EV gets sold in Canada as if our Canadian dollar is worth $0.852 USD. (btw, that incorporates the fact we get standard DCFC and std tire inflator in base price). While the Tesla assumes our Canadian dollar is worth $0.811 USD. If you were changing your money earned in Canadian dollars into US dollars when buying a vehicle, who would you rather do that with ?
- Assuming you didn’t have the $46k CAD loose change to upgrade your Bolt EV Premier in order to purchase that cheapest Tesla - - why not get an e-Golf, or a Leaf or an I3 then ? Because with our Cdn winters you sure need the Bolt’s range… charging away from home ain’t too easy up here. Besides selling inferior product, all those other competitors’ available vehicles have already been scooped up by Ontarians. Due to the ON fat rebate and the disproportionately higher number of lovers of euro-nameplated vehicles in ON.

Charles you've made a great acquisition in your Bolt EV. Enjoy it. Thanks for pursuing the climate control improvement as well !
:)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I didn't say buy a Tesla - I said buy a competing car…in my experience the best feedback that vendors understand is someone not purchasing/returning their product - it rarely generates immediate change, but it does send a message.

the problem with EV's is there are so few choices {sigh}

it was a joke.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
the problem with EV's is there are so few choices {sigh}
Agreed. Once you get a taste of all electric vehicles, you suddenly want all vehicles to be that way, but alas, we have to wait. Partly because demand is not great enough for manufacturers to invest and partly because battery tech is not quite there yet to convert everything.

So we wait... :|

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Okay sorry for the reference to Teslarati. I don't even know where that came from I saw it online somewhere.

Otherwise I would have called such a person a Teslatifosi. :p
“Teslarati” sounds like the villains in a Dan Brown novel!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Agreed. Once you get a taste of all electric vehicles, you suddenly want all vehicles to be that way, but alas, we have to wait. Partly because demand is not great enough for manufacturers to invest and partly because battery tech is not quite there yet to convert everything.

So we wait... :|
1/2 ton pickup with 1500lbs payload and EPA range of 400+ please.

·
Registered
979 Posts
“Teslarati” sounds like the villains in a Dan Brown novel!
That's a good one !:laugh:

Actually Teslarati is meal ration for subsistence purposes, comprised of chicken giblet and brown rice. Available to Tesla owners who’ve exhausted their assets in struggling to keep up their car payments.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That's a good one !:laugh:

Actually Teslarati is meal ration for subsistence purposes, comprised of chicken giblet and brown rice. Available to Tesla owners who’ve exhausted their assets in struggling to keep up their car payments.
No, that is "Teslaroni", as in macaroni, which is all you can afford to eat after laying out $120,000 for an EV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts