Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you disconnect the 12 volt battery before removing the controller?
I did. Not entirely sure if it's necessary, but better safe than sorry. Just make sure the passenger door is already open when you disconnect so you can get into it, and have the fob ready when you reconnect it because the alarm immediately goes off once reconnected (at least mine did). I don't believe it messed with any of the entertainment settings, presets, etc. At worst it may have forgotten my "home" gps for charging schedule, but I reset that immediately with ease and it definitely didn't forget the schedule i had set.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did. Not entirely sure if it's necessary, but better safe than sorry. Just make sure the passenger door is already open when you disconnect so you can get into it, and have the fob ready when you reconnect it because the alarm immediately goes off once reconnected (at least mine did). I don't believe it messed with any of the entertainment settings, presets, etc. At worst it may have forgotten my "home" gps for charging schedule, but I reset that immediately with ease and it definitely didn't forget the schedule i had set.
I did it last night without disconnecting the battery. Took about 30 mins total. This morning's commute was nice and toasty :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
I did the same - kept the keyfob at the other end of the house though, just to make sure nothing electrical tried to start up.
I went a little more conservative and used 1.8K-ohm resistors, and the 3-dots warmth is now very welcoming after a few minutes of pre-warm, rather than barely room temp before.
Great tweak - thanks!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I should mention that if you want to be really cozy without needing to crank the heat up, a lap blanket and a warm hat work wonders. I often use them when I'm out and about and they can eliminate the need for HVAC during the shoulder season when temperatures are around 5C (40F) and above. You do have to watch out for windshield condensation, though - turning recirc off and directing air up through the windshield vents help to keep it from forming.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Now that cold weather has arrived, this is the best Bolt tweak ever.
A blanket in a horse-drawn buggy made sense. In a car with a cabin heater and heated seats, it's just silly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
TDIwyse

Thank you for figuring out this upgrade and sharing it with the community.

I performed the upgrade per your instructions and am pleased with the result.

I have a 2019 LT and found the seat warmer on 3 bars to be relatively weak. (Sorry I did not use a thermometer to measure temperature changes).

After disconnecting the car's 12v battery, I removed the control module and added two 2.2k ohm resistors per your photos.

After the upgrade, I took the car for a quick spin and turned on the seat warmer to 3 bars. The driver's seat is now quite 'toasty'. I'd say there was a very noticeable increase in temperature, maybe 20 +/- degrees.

Thanks again for sharing :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I plan to make this same modification and wanted to confirm the specific resistor to be used. I also wanted to confirm that the leads shown in the picture are to be cut and the resistor soldered into place in lieu of the existing connection. Finally, does this also affect the operation of the rear seat heaters on the Premier model?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I plan to make this same modification and wanted to confirm the specific resistor to be used. I also wanted to confirm that the leads shown in the picture are to be cut and the resistor soldered into place in lieu of the existing connection. Finally, does this also affect the operation of the rear seat heaters on the Premier model?
1. The resistors you used appear to be correct based on the color codes.
2. It's a bit tough to tell from your picture, but I believe you do have the correct leads isolated. it should be 2 leads, cut 1, 2 leads, cut 1, 2 leads.
2a. You do want to cut those leads, I cut two places in each lead to make a hole/gap to confirm no arcing. You solder the resistors on either side of the hole/gap you create.
2b. Note that there are smaller leads underneath the 'upper' ones you are cutting. be careful not to cut these, not to accidentally solder into these, etc. Just be mindful to make sure you only connect to the one lead you're working on.
3. The picture as you have it ONLY affects the driver's seat. The two leads between the 2 you are cutting are for the front passenger seat if you'd like to include that (so 4 resistors/cut leads in a row). I don't believe the rear seats' controller is included on this board as an option at all.

quick edit: I just noticed that's not your picture but one from the OP tutorial, ha. So of course the leads and resistors are correct in that. in any case, the rest applies and that picture is indeed correct.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you for the great write up and the additional clarification from others. This modification worked great. I plan to also "fix" the passenger seat. Indeed, it may be worth buying a couple of extra controllers and setting up a modification exchange program. It took very little time to install the resistors and it made a big difference in the seat temperature.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great job figuring this out TDIwyse. I and others appreciate your figuring this out. Sure makes a difference. What do you think about setting up an exchange program for those wanting warmer seats but not interested in soldering wires?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thanks again to TDIwyse for figuring this out. Here is a picture of my connection modifying the heat for both the driver and passenger seat. With permission from TDIwyse, we could start an exchange program to this modification for those who are not comfortable soldering. What do you think TDIwyse?

·
Registered
167 Posts
How do you know its the same? "nicely cozy" isn't a quantifiable measurement... Have you directly measured the surface temperature of your seats? I'd love to see some measurements from other Bolt owners to compare to my measurements, and those from other late model GM vehicles, that show pathetic heat output.
After the mod, they will be "nicely cozy" on the medium setting. Thank you very much. Best mod I have done yet.... especially when it has been below freezing lately......

Reactions: One1whaoo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would pay for this service. Has anyone started this up?

Thanks again to TDIwyse for figuring this out. Here is a picture of my connection modifying the heat for both the driver and passenger seat. With permission from TDIwyse, we could start an exchange program to this modification for those who are not comfortable soldering. What do you think TDIwyse? View attachment 28227

·
Registered
134 Posts
No, I have not but will be glad to do so if you would consider being my first customer. I'll need to either purchase a unit to modify or get you to send me your unit for me to modify and send back to you. My thoughts are to normally charge $50 per modified unit but to give you a 50% discount to $25 since you would be my first customer. I am also willing to send you my modified unit upon receipt of your unmodified unit. Either way, you would need to remove it from under the front passenger seat. It just unclips from the mounting bracket, then the wire unclips from the unit which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and can easily be mailed. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That is a generous offer, thank you! The more I read about the mod, I think I may be able to do it myself. I'm going to think about it a bit more and circle back. Thanks!

No, I have not but will be glad to do so if you would consider being my first customer. I'll need to either purchase a unit to modify or get you to send me your unit for me to modify and send back to you. My thoughts are to normally charge $50 per modified unit but to give you a 50% discount to $25 since you would be my first customer. I am also willing to send you my modified unit upon receipt of your unmodified unit. Either way, you would need to remove it from under the front passenger seat. It just unclips from the mounting bracket, then the wire unclips from the unit which is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and can easily be mailed. Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is a little tedious with the soldering iron but you should be fine if you have soldered before. I purchased a large pack of resistors and will be glad to send you some if that would be of help to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That would be awesome. Do you have any 1.4k ohm ones? I don't think I want to do the full 2.2 kOhm. Also happy to grab good photos of the process to share with you to help sell your service.

It is a little tedious with the soldering iron but you should be fine if you have soldered before. I purchased a large pack of resistors and will be glad to send you some if that would be of help to you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am sorry to not have responded sooner. I used the 2.2 k resistors and those are all I have. You are welcome to them. Just e-mail me your address and I'll send them to you. My e-mail address is [email protected].

81 - 100 of 100 Posts