Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Inside?

Really early in the release stories on the BOLT someone carried the bike inside. I am about to try it with an easy release front wheel on a self-contained e-bike. Guess it depends upon extra passenger and extra bike if this works. Maybe someone will chip in on interior storage.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
I would rather not put a hitch. I have the premier so is there some product I can but to snap on to mount bikes on roof or
a strap on?

I saw this pic

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/chevrolet-bolt-ev/2017-bolt/
There are also roof rack solutions, though you'd need to buy a roof rack, then the appropriate bike carrier accessory.
I have a couple of Yakima Highroller bike roof racks, though I haven't used them with my Bolt since I have a hitch bike rack I use.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are also roof rack solutions, though you'd need to buy a roof rack, then the appropriate bike carrier accessory.
I have a couple of Yakima Highroller bike roof racks, though I haven't used them with my Bolt since I have a hitch bike rack I use.
any links?
I guess the hitch is easiest at this point?
any link for that?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Really early in the release stories on the BOLT someone carried the bike inside. I am about to try it with an easy release front wheel on a self-contained e-bike. Guess it depends upon extra passenger and extra bike if this works. Maybe someone will chip in on interior storage.
Until I installed a hitch, I carried my standard 700c road bike inside, with the front wheel removed. It was a little tight, but worked well enough. You might be able to get 2 bikes in there, but I never tried that. I'm not a big fan of the kind that strap onto the back of the car, because they always seemed unstable, and occasionally rub the paint.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
any links?
I guess the hitch is easiest at this point?
any link for that?
Here's the link to the Drawtite hitch I have: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Chevrolet/Bolt+EV/2017/24956.html

For roof rack, I got the following setup (hooks up to factory roof rails):
Yakima SkyLine Towers 8000148
Landing Pads 19 8000245
Yakima 50" Aero CoreBars Small 8000421 Black Steel

Yakima Highroller roof bike rack:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-HighRoller-Rooftop-Bike-Rack/dp/B009P3MJ3E[/ame]

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I would like to suggest spending the hitch and rack money on a DIY e-bike kit. I have been riding bikes my whole life. After a bit, you get tired of riding the same short routes from home, and eventually end up driving a car long distances to get to new territory. Back in 2011 I converted one of my bikes to electric assist. Two years ago I converted another. Between these two bikes I have covered 49,599 miles, so far. I have ridden as far from home as I ever did hauling them on the car. The future of EVs is bright, and they are bicycles.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Whether I ride by myself or in a group, I always drive to the start point by myself (wife does not ride). When contemplating BMWi3 vs Bolt EV, I saw each and measured the cargo hold dimensions. The Bolt won. I can always get my road bike (front wheel off) in the back, on a cheap tarp which I bought just for that purpose. Now after one year of owning the Bolt EV, I have never had the need for a hitch or roof rack. Others' situations will vary, obviously.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I'll never use a roof rack. Too big of a hit on range, too cumbersome to lift bikes up there, and too much risk of forgetting they are up there when driving into the garage. Hitch mount has almost no impact on range and is useful for other things such as pulling a trailer.
Back in the 1990's we were on a tandem adventure in southern Virginia. The tandem was on the roof rack. The front fork didn't have the "lawyer lips" that all forks have now. We pulled off the road to check a map. Pulling back on, a front tire dropped into a big mud hole, causing the car to rock side-to-side. As we hit the pavement, the front fork came through the windshield . It sounded like a gun going off. Luckily, there was a town near by, with a friendly glass shop that had the windshield. We were back on the road after lunch.

Another time we watched, in horror, as a families' six bikes were wiped off the top of their van, pulling up to the window at a drive-through motel office. Yeah, roof racks are a very bad idea.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Back in the 1990's we were on a tandem adventure in southern Virginia. The tandem was on the roof rack. The front fork didn't have the "lawyer lips" that all forks have now. We pulled off the road to check a map. Pulling back on, a front tire dropped into a big mud hole, causing the car to rock side-to-side. As we hit the pavement, the front fork came through the windshield . It sounded like a gun going off. Luckily, there was a town near by, with a friendly glass shop that had the windshield. We were back on the road after lunch.

Another time we watched, in horror, as a families' six bikes were wiped off the top of their van, pulling up to the window at a drive-through motel office. Yeah, roof racks are a very bad idea.
It is my nightmare that, while driving on the highway (or anywhere really) my hitch bike rack fails with all 4 bikes on it, and I look up just in time to see all my bikes tumbling on the ground in the rear view. I know my hitch and bike rack are rated for 200# tongue weigjht, but still makes me nervous every time I go over a big bump!

·
Registered
580 Posts

Long ago, I had a friend (no, it really wasn't me) that forgot his mountain bike was on the roof rack of his truck, and he drove it into his garage. Not only was the bike trashed (frame and fork), the roof of the truck was badly stove in. Convinced me I never wanted a roof rack for a bike. I did use to haul my windsurf rig on my corvette rack, though...

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I would rather not put a hitch. I have the premier so is there some product I can but to snap on to mount bikes on roof ora strap on?
I'd be a little cautious about the strap-on mounts - they typically hook onto the top of the hatch and on the Bolt that would require them going over the spoiler above the window - that's just a hunk of plastic and I wouldn't trust it to hold under the weight of the rack and bikes.

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Years ago I went to a friends wedding in my two seat Pontiac Fiero. One of the guests wanted a ride back with an oversized suitcase that wouldn't fit in the trunk. I got one of these suction cup suitcase racks and attached it to the mid engine trunk lid. It worked great. But I was so stressed thinking it was going to come loose the whole trip. I've never looked in the rearview mirror so many times in my life. I thought, never again. Still sits in the shop and the rubber suction cups have probably rotted by now.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I would like to suggest spending the hitch and rack money on a DIY e-bike kit. I have been riding bikes my whole life. After a bit, you get tired of riding the same short routes from home, and eventually end up driving a car long distances to get to new territory. Back in 2011 I converted one of my bikes to electric assist. Two years ago I converted another. Between these two bikes I have covered 49,599 miles, so far. I have ridden as far from home as I ever did hauling them on the car. The future of EVs is bright, and they are bicycles.
How does this help the OP transport his bike in or on his Bolt?

Reactions: drdiesel1

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
How does this help the OP transport his bike in or on his Bolt?
I was thinking the same thing, but then again my post was completely unhelpful to the OPs request on how to mount a bike to the roof. Figured I'd give the best reasons I could to discourage moving forward with the idea.

I guess a better response would have been "why would you rather not put a hitch on the Bolt"?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, but then again my post was completely unhelpful to the OPs request on how to mount a bike to the roof. Figured I'd give the best reasons I could to discourage moving forward with the idea.

I guess a better response would have been "why would you rather not put a hitch on the Bolt"?
I put my road bike inside, it fits easily with the front wheel removed. If I needed to transport two or more bikes I’d also go the hitch route, it’s easier to get bikes on and off, and there’s no worry about taking out the bikes/roof/house if you try driving into the garage with bikes in place. Rear racks are easily removed, most roof racks/crossbars are kept on the car all the time, which isn’t very aero.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,481 Posts
Do a search on this forum. There's at least one other comprehensive thread on receivers and bike racks. It's always a good idea to search a forum first, before starting a duplicate thread.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts