Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

The preconditioning button from RemoteLink app constantly fails on me and it complains about internet. But it fails when I stand by my car also. And I also have wifi at my house. So I'm not sure why it fails so frequently.
Is there a way to initiate precondition of battery without the remote link app from OnStar?

And how am I supposed to even use RemoteLink after my subscription expires with OnStar?

Thank you.

Brian

·
Registered
247 Posts
You cannot be close to your car because it recognizes the keyfob is near. I just got my car last night and tried it. The moment I did it form inside the house, away form the car it worked. This morning it was -20C outside and the car was preconditioned, warm and toasty.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The 'Precondition' option under Remote Commands of myChevrolet app works with OnStar basic. That is, the free OnStar for five years that one gets if a paid OnStar subscription is not carried on after the first six months trial period. If that's not working, try reloading the app and resyncing to the car.

As far as the key fob is concerned, does it work with the other (second) key fob ? If so, get the first key fob replaced (or battery replaced? don't know..) under warranty. If not, looks like a visit to the dealer is required.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have been preconditioning my car daily while it is plugged in the L2 charger at home. I start it from the myChevrolet app and it has been able to start the preconditioning from inside the house successfully.

I was wondering about the onStar subscription as well. Will I be able to precondition remotely once I'm on the OnStar basic plan.

Also if I just remote start the car, not 'precondition', is it same as preconditioning? With the car plugged-in would it still use the power from outlet or from the battery?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I stand by car with key fob in my pocket. The physical key fob doesn't have a precondition button as I understand so I have to use the software key fob button from RemoteLink app. I know that I do have connection because I can refresh status to see latest stats.

I wonder why GM wouldn't make it a physical button on the key fob.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was referring to the software key fob from RemoteLink since the physical key fob doesn't really have a button for preconditioning.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Since October I've been Preconditioning with OnStar (free) basic only.

Once I hit the Preconditioning button it asks for my OnStar pin, or gives the option of recording a fingerprint. BTW that's the 4-digit pin that you gave to OnStar at time of delivery/enrollment.

Not sure if OnStar paid subscribers have to put in their pin every time they Precondition.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Page 8 (also page 39) of the Bolt manual outline how to use Remote Start AKA Preconditioning with the key fob (It involves using the button on the Remote that looks like an arrow circling on itself):

"Use remote start to heat or cool the interior when the vehicle is plugged in to maximize electric range by utilizing electricity from the electrical outlet. Normal operation of the system will return after the vehicle has been turned on."

1. Press and release LOCK on the RKE transmitter.
2. Immediately press and hold REMOTE START for at least four seconds or until the turn signal lamps flash.
3. After entering the vehicle during a remote start, press POWER with the brake pedal applied to operate as normal.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes I stand by car with key fob in my pocket. The physical key fob doesn't have a precondition button as I understand so I have to use the software key fob button from RemoteLink app. I know that I do have connection because I can refresh status to see latest stats.

I wonder why GM wouldn't make it a physical button on the key fob.
Je ne pas no entiendo. On my Bolt EV's key fob there's a circular arrow which activates Precondition or Remote Start. I don't know what's the difference between Precondition and Remote Start as I haven't compared what happens after each one activates.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Je ne pas no entiendo. On my Bolt EV's key fob there's a circular arrow which activates Precondition or Remote Start. I don't know what's the difference between Precondition and Remote Start as I haven't compared what happens after each one activates.
I have never tried to start the car with the fob outside the car. I'd guess it just starts the car, like if you were sitting inside. However, I have used it to precondition the car, while plugged in, many times. in those cases, it uses up to the maximum power from the wall that the EVSE will provide, to run the heater/AC based on your settings, and the battery heater based on the car's internal programming.

I suspect that starting the car with it still plugged in does all the same stuff it does for conditioning, while plugged in, but adds the extra ~1 kW load of the car when "on."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a great answer!

Page 8 (also page 39) of the Bolt manual outline how to use Remote Start with the key fob (It involves the using the key that looks like an arrow circling on itself) Remote Start and Precondition are the same thing:

"Use remote start to heat or cool the interior when the vehicle is plugged in to maximize electric range by utilizing electricity from the electrical outlet. Normal operation of the system will return after the vehicle has been turned on."

1. Press and release LOCK on the RKE transmitter.
2. Immediately press and hold REMOTE START for at least four seconds or until the turn signal lamps flash.
3. After entering the vehicle during a remote start, press POWER with the brake pedal applied to operate as normal.

I didn't know that the remote start also works for preconditioning

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I didn't know that the remote start also works for preconditioning
I didn't know it worked for remote start. :)

I just went out and tried to remote start the car, using the fob, with it plugged in, and with it unplugged. It doesn't do it. It only preconditions the car.

I then re-read page 8 of the manual on "Remote Start." It is a confusing misuse of English. "Remote Start" does not "start" the car in the sense most of us think of. In fact, the manual says it quits when the car is turned on with the start/stop button.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have never tried to start the car with the fob outside the car. I'd guess it just starts the car, like if you were sitting inside.
Correct. On my last job (employment) I used to Remote Start my GM car sitting 100 yds away outside in the parking lot. From my office on the second floor.

EDIT: on second thought. Not exactly. The vehicle lights up, makes sure doors are locked and does it's thing until it times out after 10 (maybe 20 mins for Bolt). You still have to unlock the car and hit the start button in order to get 'er going in regular operation mode.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Correct. On my last job (employment) I used to Remote Start my GM car sitting 100 yds away outside in the parking lot. From my office on the second floor.

EDIT: on second thought. Not exactly. The vehicle lights up, makes sure doors are locked and does it's thing until it times out after 10 (maybe 20 mins for Bolt). You still have to unlock the car and hit the start button in order to get 'er going in regular operation mode.
Correct. In "Remote Start" mode you can't scroll through the DIC screens, or shift the car, or operate the parking brake. Why they don't call it "Precondition" mode is a mystery. Unless you consider they are engineers, so English it not their best subject. :)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Maybe they meant definition 2. As in, "It is remotely like starting." :)

re·mote·ly
rəˈmōtlē/Submit
adverb
from a distance; without physical contact.
"new electronic meters that can be read remotely"
in the slightest degree.
"he had never been remotely jealous"

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was wondering what all this preconditioning was about. It turn out it's remote starting. It works EXACTLY like it did in my Cruze, which actually started the engine. So to me "remote start" makes perfect sense. Preconditioning sounds like your are preheating the battery or something and has nothing to do with warming the cabin and turning on the seat heat.

I'm sure GM calls it remote start so as be consistent with their ICE vehicles.

Ron

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I was wondering what all this preconditioning was about. It turn out it's remote starting. It works EXACTLY like it did in my Cruze, which actually started the engine. So to me "remote start" makes perfect sense. Preconditioning sounds like your are preheating the battery or something and has nothing to do with warming the cabin and turning on the seat heat.
It doesn't work EXACTLY like in your Cruze. It doesn't start the motor, or the inverter. It does preheat the battery, and precondition the cabin. Preheating the battery is the closest thing to preheating the engine in your Cruze, which of course is a prerequisite to conditioning the cabin in an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I precondition my car by holding my key fob up to my rear window and pressing the buttons. It manages to reach the car which is sitting about 30-40 feet away inside a closed, detached garage.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts