Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know how to remove the center armrest?

When I hold the wheel near the bottom, the armrest is right where my elbow needs to be - drives me crazy.

I've got it slid all the way aft, but it's still too far forward, and looks dumb with it open at 90-degrees waiting for a hard stop to fall forward and guillotine something.

If I can get the darn thing off, I'll make a thin cover to replace it, but I took out all six visible screws on the bottom of it, and nothing comes loose.

Any ideas how it comes off? I'd rather not remove it with a hacksaw...

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Sorry, can't give you any advice on how to remove the armrest. But I'm wondering if you've tried raising your seat and tilting the steering wheel up?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I hold the steering wheel at 10 and 2 like I have done with every car I've driven for more than 40 years. I never touch the center console except to open it.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I can't speak to the Bolt because I don't have one yet and I don't have the service manual, but typically in modern cars, the actual mounting is underneath plastic covers, probably in the rear. You usually pop the cover off to reveal the actual mounting screws/bolts.

My suggestion would be to go to either your dealer's service department, or the parts department and ask to see the exploded drawings of the arm rest. The service manual should give explicit instructions on how to remove it and the parts diagrams will show exploded views that should make it obvious how it comes apart. If you explain what you are doing, most dealers will be helpful in this. It will likely be awhile before those on the internet can help you because you're going first!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Don't think anyone on this forum has tried removing the arm rest yet, so you're going to be the first one to try. Maybe Chevy mounts all arm rests the same way across their lineup and the same method for removal would work for the Bolt too?

Unless you can get your hands on the service manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to necro an old thread, but I just removed the center armrest from my new Bolt, and thought I might share, since it's actually quite easy if you know how. I didn't going in, which is why I spent an hour and a half disassembling the entire armrest before I figured it out :).

The first step is to pull back the trim panel on the back of the center console. Sitting in the back seat, gently work a thin prying tool into the gap between the console and the back trim panel, just below the armrest. Go back and forth between sides, and it will eventually pop back, revealing the metal hinge.

Lift up the armrest, and there should now be five screws visible at the hinge, three large head and two small. You'll need a set of star/security bits for a screwdriver to remove these. Unscrew all five, being careful not to let them fall, and the armrest can now be easily removed from the console. I screwed the five screws back into their holes on the console for safekeeping. Pop the trim panel back into place, and you're done!

Covers up fairly neat, though you of course now have a storage compartment hole where your armrest used to be. Not sure yet what we're going to put on there so it's comfortable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
wow this is a great webpage with a lot of components

can aftermarket an LT to Premier options for cheaper

I'm working on some of that right now. My biggest headache so far is in figuring out how to take the dashboard apart, specifically to get to the back of the 10" center screen stereo unit.

Has anyone tried that yet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts