Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm going to commit a forum sin and double-post a reply from another thread:

I like how in the video, even the instructor calls the Bolt "Volt" initially. Dang it GM Marketing, get your act together.

Some comments:

1. At 18:28, he drains the Bolt's battery coolant into a tub with coolant from the 2018 Volt battery pack. Wow, so little coolant even if there's more coolant in the battery pack. I was expecting maybe a gallon but it looks like less than that came from the Bolt.

2. At 27:11, the sticker on the battery pack shows:
LG Electronics
Model Name: VISTA 2.0 Cell Module Assembly
Rated Energy: 57kWhr
LiMM-C.F / LGE. 1707
Assembled In South Korea
Does this mean we only have 57 kWh available with 3 kWh as buffers? Does this mean we have 1.5 kWh top and bottom buffer?

3. Did not expect so little material besides the metal and rear seat cushion. No wonder there so much road noise inside the Bolt EV cabin.

4. Nice to see clearly where the lift pads are.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to commit a forum sin and double-post a reply from another thread:

I like how in the video, even the instructor calls the Bolt "Volt" initially. Dang it GM Marketing, get your act together.

Some comments:

1. At 18:28, he drains the Bolt's battery coolant into a tub with coolant from the 2018 Volt battery pack. Wow, so little coolant even if there's more coolant in the battery pack. I was expecting maybe a gallon but it looks like less than that came from the Bolt.

2. At 27:11, the sticker on the battery pack shows:

Does this mean we only have 57 kWh available with 3 kWh as buffers? Does this mean we have 1.5 kWh top and bottom buffer?

3. Did not expect so little material besides the metal and rear seat cushion. No wonder there so much road noise inside the Bolt EV cabin.

4. Nice to see clearly where the lift pads are.
Nah its like hard drives. 60kwh is the batteries unformatted capacity. Once the battery is formatted its only 57kwh ;)

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
He had not yet pulled a vacuum on the system, so the full 7.4 quarts weren't out yet

Capacities and Specifications

Cooling Systems
High Voltage Battery 7.0 L 7.4 qt
Power Electronics 3.8 L 4.0 qt
Heater 2.0 L 2.1 qt

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Sounds about right to me. I've been using the MyChevy site to check charge in 1% increments lately. It suggests something under 60 kWh usable. The 5% charge bars seem to be a bit less than 3 kWh each too.

On my wife's trip to town, yesterday, she used 25% per the MyChevty site, and the car center info screen said 52 miles, and 14.4 kWh used. That comes to 57.6 kWh total. In addition, the actual number of kWh you can move into or out of a lithium ion battery depends on the temperature of the battery, and the rate at which you are inserting/removing electrons. It is not a simple container.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I want to know about the differences between the type1 (first design, whatever he calls it) and type 2 Bolt batteries! Why 2? Is one for DC charging and the other without?

That would explain why DC charging cannot be added to a Bolt by the dealer. It would require a different pack!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That 57 kWh battery makes a lot more sense than some of the people reporting 60 to 63 kWh usable. I will have to watch all his videos, it is fascinating hearing him talk about EV's.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
I want to know about the differences between the type1 (first design, whatever he calls it) and type 2 Bolt batteries! Why 2? Is one for DC charging and the other without?

That would explain why DC charging cannot be added to a Bolt by the dealer. It would require a different pack!
No. That is not the difference. All HPDC, going to the battery, comes out of the HPDM. It doesn't matter if it originated at a fast charger, or at the on-board charger.

One is an earlier design. One difference he notes, probably the only difference, is the coolant couplers. The earlier one had them both the same "sex", which could allow hooking them up backwards. The newer design has one of each on the battery to avoid this possibility.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Seen. I theorized and I was incorrect.

I'd still like to know why one can't add DC charging then. It will take the rest of the teardown to find out what is missing.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Two things:

1. I bought a bolt that I thought had a 60 kWh battery but it only has 57 kWh. Seems like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.....

2. Brand new Bolt and it has a steering shaft leaking. Hopefully that's just his bolt and not a fleetwide defect.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
I bought a bolt that I thought had a 60 kWh battery but it only has 57 kWh. Seems like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.....
It's a 60 kWh class battery. Makes me laugh when they do that with TV screen sizes. Actual size varies.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two things:

1. I bought a bolt that I thought had a 60 kWh battery but it only has 57 kWh. Seems like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen.....

2. Brand new Bolt and it has a steering shaft leaking. Hopefully that's just his bolt and not a fleetwide defect.
1. Pretty sure gm will speak some gobldy **** about 60kwh being based being measured at a adifferent ah drain cycle or something like that....

2. I believe this is a known issue. I believe it was a manufacturing defect affecting a group of vehicles.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Two things:

95% Depth of Discharge would give 57 kWh usable from a 60kWh battery:
DOD, short for the Depth of Discharge, is used to describe how deeply the battery is discharged. If we say a battery is 100% fully charged, it means the DOD of this battery is 0%, If we say the battery have delivered 30% of its energy, here are 70% energy reserved, we say the DOD of this battery is 30%. And if a battery is 100% empty, the DOD of this battery is 100%. DOD always can be treated as how much energy that the battery delivered. For lithium batteries we do not suggest fully discharge them to 100% DOD, it would shorten the cycle life of batteries.
Evidently, the label refers to how much energy the battery can deliver, and not the actual kWh capacity of the battery.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Nah its like hard drives. 60kwh is the batteries unformatted capacity. Once the battery is formatted its only 57kwh ;)
No. Just. NO. We don't need more units like mebibyte or gibibytes.

That 57 kWh battery makes a lot more sense than some of the people reporting 60 to 63 kWh usable. I will have to watch all his videos, it is fascinating hearing him talk about EV's.
I recall the energy display on the infotainment screen was energy used regardless if you regen'd or recharged between full recharges. So if I used 30 kWh then charged somewhere for another 10 kWh, the energy used would still read 30 kWh used. To potentially, I could run down the battery for a total of 70 kWh used (or 67 kWh used based on this new 57 kWh battery revelation).

So if some people are simply reporting the "Energy Consumed" number from the infotainment screen, it's perfectly fine to report a number higher than 57 kWh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gee, I bought the Bolt because it has 238 miles of range. I actually could care less if the battery size is 57 kWh or 66 kWh or AAA. Don't see a class action issue here unless some attorney is looking for publicity. What could possibly be the recourse?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't see a class action issue here unless some attorney is looking for publicity. What could possibly be the recourse?
Monetary.

All documentation states "60 kWh 350 V lithium-ion" battery. Is the battery a 60 kWh or is it a 57 kWh? The sticker didn't say 57 kWh usable, it stated 57 kWh.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Don't see a class action issue here unless some attorney is looking for publicity. What could possibly be the recourse?
Attorney gets millions, owners get a coupon for $500 off their next GM vehicle purchase. Which of course won't stack with some other incentives so the net is zero.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Gee, I bought the Bolt because it has 238 miles of range. I actually could care less if the battery size is 57 kWh or 66 kWh or AAA. Don't see a class action issue here unless some attorney is looking for publicity. What could possibly be the recourse?

I am sure T25 is being sarcastic, a “verbal tone” not always perceived in texting (although the “....” is a hint).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts