Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the Chevy dealers here in the southeast US is less experienced with the tech specs. for the Bolt. We are unsure if the car I want to buy actually has the DC fast charge option. the invoice doesn't show the $750 ish option cost. (Dealer says it has the option, but then said all Bolts has the 240v charge option, so I think he was confused by the prospect of selling a car that day)

Question: is there a physical indication (charging port? control panel? look under the car?) that I can look and verify that the Bolt has the DC fast charge option installed?

thanks!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
I haven't seen one without DCFC, so I can't say if the physical socket is different, or the wiring is just missing. That said, there is an orange plastic cover over the DCFC contacts, below the 120/240 volt contacts.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2017/04/2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-Premier-charge-port.jpg

Even if the socket remains, the two big orange DC cables running from the driver side fender well, to the front of the HV distribution module, will be missing.

https://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/bolt-motor.jpg

HVDC, coming from the onboard charger, enters the HV distribution module via the frontmost of the upper three plugs on the driver side of the HV distribution module.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:eek:Highly suggest anyone considering a EV or any other vehicle to research the vehicle before considering a purchase. Tons of information available here, other online forums, Facebook Groups, YouTube videos, etc. Too much information available and too easy to access. Confirm in person at the dealer with your sales person. Going online to Chevrolet.com, Build your own, will give you all the Bolt information regarding options and pricing. Do your homework.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
:eek:Highly suggest anyone considering a EV or any other vehicle to research the vehicle before considering a purchase. Tons of information available here, other online forums, Facebook Groups, YouTube videos, etc. Too much information available and too easy to access. Confirm in person at the dealer with your sales person. Going online to Chevrolet.com, Build your own, will give you all the Bolt information regarding options and pricing. Do your homework.
100% agree. This advise applies to all vehicle purchases, not just EVs, but especially EVs. Don't count on the sales people to have a clue what they are actually selling you. Some do, some don't. Some shady sales folks will even tell you what you want to hear even if they don't know just to make that sale that day.

Do the homework and thumbs up to the OP for doing theirs by asking this question here before buying! :nerd:

Again, the physical differences you can see-

Also it will be on the factory window sticker as will all options. If it's not on the car, demand to see it before buying.

·
Registered
83 Posts
100% agree. This advise applies to all vehicle purchases, not just EVs, but especially EVs. Don't count on the sales people to have a clue what they are actually selling you. Some do, some don't. Some shady sales folks will even tell you what you want to hear even if they don't know just to make that sale that day.

Do the homework and thumbs up to the OP for doing theirs by asking this question here before buying! :nerd:

Again, the physical differences you can see-

Also it will be on the factory window sticker as will all options. If it's not on the car, demand to see it before buying.

O.P. is in the U.S.A., - DC Fast Charging is Standard as listed on Chevrolet Canada site:

http://www.chevrolet.ca/bolt-ev-electric-vehicle.html

It is also listed under "Standard Equipment" on my pricing/order sheet.

There was no additional cost. (That I am aware of).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, the Chevy dealers here in the southeast US is less experienced with the tech specs. for the Bolt. We are unsure if the car I want to buy actually has the DC fast charge option. the invoice doesn't show the $750 ish option cost. (Dealer says it has the option, but then said all Bolts has the 240v charge option, so I think he was confused by the prospect of selling a car that day)

Question: is there a physical indication (charging port? control panel? look under the car?) that I can look and verify that the Bolt has the DC fast charge option installed?

thanks!
Reviving old thread to say I was bit by this just now! I thought I had confirmed that no Bolt EVs were made without CCS capabilities (wrong), so I had a dealer drive down one from 150 miles away, sight unseen. Fortunately my wife balked and they let me take it overnight before signing. First I thought the orange cover had come off the CCS port. I said to myself, I should take a photo later and tell the dealer about that one. Then, also fortunately, I broke out the included EVSE, even though I didn't need to charge, especially at 4mph, and even though it was tie wrapped and not mine yet. I went to plug in and lo and behold, not only is there no orange cover, the CCS holes are smoothed over like a Conehead's bum crack! I don't know if they are going to be willing to fetch another Bolt, especially since I'm not going to add $750 (wife was at her limit anyway). I may have to get a '16+ Volt and leave my long range EV dreams for another season. I REALLY loved the slate gray color on this one, though--just a tinge of blue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
All Canadian Bolts come with DCFC, but it is definitely an option for American models.
That explains it. I saw a video of 2 Canadians reviewing the Bolt and they said they "all" come with CCS.

My dealer says they can install (retrofit) CCS. Does anyone know if there's any kind of contract I can give them saying I'll buy it at their price but only if the car gets the same CCS capability as any other car with CCS from the factory? Given the complexity one person on this board has already said is involved, I'm surprised if GM has a 'kit' to do it, as the dealer says, and that the dealer can do it. On the other hand, GM engineering may have recently developed this capability and kit. I'm very interested in that other ChevyBolt.org member's DIY CCS retrofit progress. Going to look for that thread now...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
What year is your Bolt? Perhaps an excuse to upgrade to the 2020 model with HD camera? ;)

Reactions: Anderlan

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
From what I remember reading here, 99% of Bolt owners commute with the car and can survive without DCFC. I am one of them, and yes, already took a beating for 5 months from @Vertiformed for ordering my Bolt the way I wanted it. I am the 1% that thinks the Bolt is a bit overpriced, though price slashing is making it what 'I' consider it to be worth. So, I wanted to save the $750 which I think really was going to cost me $560. Everyone, and I mean everyone here will tell you a Bolt without DCFC is hobbled/broken/worthless. I have almost 16,000 miles on my Bolt, haven't had the need to DCFC*. I drive between 70 and 100 miles a day on average. Every now and then I'll drive to Chicago, it's about 200 round trip. I charge at home. If your car doesn't have DCFC, there is a possibility, that you will be fine. I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and the Bolt. It has met all my expectations. Is it perfect, nope, but I am happy with the purchase. I have some disappointments, but many of them I learned as a result of buying the Bolt and there is value in that, that I attribute to the Bolt in a positive way. I want more tech, I would definitely pay for more if I could get it. Chances are, my next EV will be a VW or subsidiary. I still think Tesla makes a **** good product too, and I am going to consider them too for the next one (pricey). Just wanted to send some support your way if in fact your car doesn't have DCFC. And, if you are one that might survive without DCFC, by all means tell the dealership it's worthless without it and get them to lower the price more. Tell them what a mistake it was for them to order a dealer stock without it. The dealerships in my area appeared to order them half with and half without. I still browse when visiting my friend who owns the dealership.

*1) I also have a gas powered truck. 2) I actually wouldn't take either the truck or the Bolt on a long trip, I'd rent a car. I'm the 1% that won't sit for 45 minutes on a trip to charge nor plan the trip around charging stations. The trip for me is to get there, not have an adventure along the way. Again, the 1%. This is just me, it is only my opinion and it is diabolically opposite every member here from what I've learned.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
@ZoomZoom, I don't think it was five months of drubbing, but perhaps it did feel like it. ?

Glad you like your car. You're right, it does seem like it was the right choice for you, as a price-sensitive buyer.

FWIW, I've DC fast charged mine twice, and I could have easily set things up to avoid it. Thus I've yet to truly need it. That said, I'd kinda hoped the DC fast charge network would be halfway decent by now. I'm starting to feel like not only does it suck, but it may well suck for the next few years (even when stations are built, they may be far from dependable), and by the time it doesn't suck, the Bolt's DC fast charge rate will seem slow as fück.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts