Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting, not sure I completely agree with all the 'ideas' but there is a valid point about costs. Does a mass market EV need to be 'cheap' in order to survive? If its totally based on operating costs/savings no probaably not, but if they're going to create the same cadence of consumption costs will absolutely be a major factor in turning over your status symbol (electric or not) every 2.5 years...

http://www.torquenews.com/2250/how-tell-when-electric-cars-have-made-it-and-why-we-don-t-need-cheap-one

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree that we will know EVs have arrived when there are vehicles that can absolutely rival their gasoline burning counterparts. With the rising cost of fuel, EVs will only become more alluring.

That set of circumstances should happen pretty soon. Fuel prices will go up over the next 5-10 years and EVs should be comparable in performance to regular cars very soon as battery technology is advancing quite quickly.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Rivaling what's already out there and doing well is basically the breaking point, from their it's only up for EV's and hybrids.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree that we will know EVs have arrived when there are vehicles that can absolutely rival their gasoline burning counterparts. With the rising cost of fuel, EVs will only become more alluring.

That set of circumstances should happen pretty soon. Fuel prices will go up over the next 5-10 years and EVs should be comparable in performance to regular cars very soon as battery technology is advancing quite quickly.
Rivalling what in terms of what? Then we're simply in a simulacrum, where EV's have simply replaced the ICE 1 for 1, resulting in absolutely no change to the current system. The system will not perpetuate its own demise which is why I'm extremely wary of the rhetoric that electric cars have to match ICE cars, especially because its organizations backed by oil money driving the bandwagon...

·
Registered
428 Posts
There will be a time when the EVs are equal in cost to the gasoline powered vehicles. Then the tides will turn and EVs will be more popular. That will happen when gas gets pretty pricey though.

I mean rival as in become equally as alluring for consumers in terms of sales numbers.

·
Registered
639 Posts
There will be a time when the EVs are equal in cost to the gasoline powered vehicles. Then the tides will turn and EVs will be more popular. That will happen when gas gets pretty pricey though.

I mean rival as in become equally as alluring for consumers in terms of sales numbers.
We have a very long way to go till that happens. Just look at how things are priced now initially and all other things that factor in to owning an EV. More than a decade out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It partly depends on gas prices. EV costs will continue to decline and there will be more affordable EVs coming out instead of them being more focused in the mid to high price range.

It could be 10 years or more, and that is a semi-long time, but even if they become equally expensive in terms of cost + operating expenses in 2025, that really isn't that long in the grand scheme of things. By then they could all be autonomous EVs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yeah that's basically it. The industry is just breaking into the $30k range hybrids, with affordability being important, by then we could even see mid $20k EV's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts