Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
The article mentions 14.4.2 as a current version. What features are available in that? One annoyance for me is having the car come up on radio and having to manually select my phone's bluetooth every time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At it appears the Infotainment Console was built and programmed by LG, GM probably is very careful about updates to the device.
The initial Console contract probably has provisions for bug fixes, but not much in the way of updates or new features.
As this is GM's first "modern" EV, they have/will be moving in a very conservative direction.
This vehicle will give GM a chance to see how interested the world is about EV's and challenges they may have in the future.
We can almost consider the Bolt to be a giant Test Mule with lessons learned from the Volt.

If something was to go wrong with the Console and the device was bricked or caused other problems with the vehicle, it would be extremely expensive for GM to bring in all the cars to dealerships for repairs or fresh software updates. If an update caused a problem with the Console, GM would also be at the mercy of LG to provide appropriate fresh updates to fix the bug(s). As GM likes to be in control of it's future, I would estimate that we will have very few updates to the Console, and certainly no Over the Air updates.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mary Barra's GM is not your father's GM. She's pushing the envelope on EVs and AVs because she's an engineer, not a salesman or bureaucrat. Refreshing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Folks, just a note of caution here. Yes, it works to do the USB update as many have reported. However, remember that when you download software and install it on the device, you are trusting the source to have an unaltered copy of the software. We’ve been thru this rodeo with other computing devices. Malware can be injected in this way. I’m not saying it has been, but it could be. Compromises can happen even when downloading from trusted sources (vendors like GM) but are less likely. Ad hoc downloads without authenticating checksum fingerprints increases the risk.

I had my Bolt updated at the dealer yesterday, and had to reference the defect with Android Auto (the black bars on the side) for them to write it up as warranty and not charge me $198. I didn’t want to do the upgrade myself.

I’m not a Luddite. I have a graduate degree in computer science. I’ve just seen too many problems with various types of malware to do the “roll your own” update. If it works for you, great. Just please do the update with an understanding of potential risks.

-Joel

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Folks, just a note of caution here. Yes, it works to do the USB update as many have reported. However, remember that when you download software and install it on the device, you are trusting the source to have an unaltered copy of the software.
The software is digitally signed with GM's authentication key, so the likelihood of it having been altered is very low. I won't say it's impossible, but it's pretty far down on my list of concerns.

·
Registered
643 Posts
thanks Sean - I agree signed binaries make this a pretty safe thing to do but I have two questions:

1. how do you know it's signed
2. do we know than GM actually validates the signature during the install process

It not that I don't trust you, but I'm going to share this information with others and it would be nice to find your source of information for reference.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My dealer was super confused about a software update. They are old schools about the 4-5 other circuit boards hat receive updates. He couldn’t find the update and unless it fixed a problem they can’t do under warranty and would cost 120$.
So I grew tired to try to educate the dealer and download myself and installed. Works great and no problems. Looks like this year this we should be able to do ourselves as a regular update to the infotainment center.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
1. how do you know it's signed
2. do we know than GM actually validates the signature during the install process
1. If you look in the install files you can see the cryptographic keys. Edit the "42615022.smd" file with Notepad or a similar text-only editor and you'll see the certificate and hashes.

2. While I have no definitive evidence that points to them validating the signature, it's hard for me to imagine that they don't It's a standard practice in the software industry, and it protects against not just fraudulent software but also software that's had a few of its bits corrupted during transmission, copying or storage on cheap USB sticks. The idea that they'd just blast an unverified image into the car that could potentially render it inoperable just seems unrealistic to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
1. If you look in the install files you can see the cryptographic keys. Edit the "42615022.smd" file with Notepad or a similar text-only editor and you'll see the certificate and hashes.

2. While I have no definitive evidence that points to them validating the signature, it's hard for me to imagine that they don't It's a standard practice in the software industry, and it protects against not just fraudulent software but also software that's had a few of its bits corrupted during transmission, copying or storage on cheap USB sticks. The idea that they'd just blast an unverified image into the car that could potentially render it inoperable just seems unrealistic to me.
Again, I’m happy this has worked for folks. The standard practice where software is distributed from sites other than the vendor’s site is to have the vendor post a hash value that can be computed by a known algorithm. We used to use MD5 but it’s been compromised. Many times now code is signed using public key cryptography, with the public part of the key published by the vendor in lieu of a hash value. If the update file is downloaded from GM directly then this is not as much of an issue, but I thought the files were being downloaded from sites other than GM itself. I stand corrected if the downloads are from GM...

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking forward to getting the 14.4.2 Infotainment update from the local Chevy dealer this coming Monday.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do they really need two hours? Or do they only charge two hours? >:)
I had the first update done by Chevy, as a warranty claim, so it was no charge. It took them over 2 hrs. The update was all they did, and there were very few cars in the service bay, at the time.

I tried to get them to do this last one, when I had my tires rotated, but their Bolt tech wasn’t in that day, so they couldn’t do the update. :|

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is freaking bizarre! Is the Bolt the only GM vehicle with a modern infotainment screen? With my old Cherokee, all FCAing models got infotainment updates at roughly the same time. The only issue was whether the moron service department had misplaced the USB drive for your car on the day of your service appointment.

That said, Chrysler had a much, much more cumbersome download/install procedure. The download only worked on computers with weak firewalls and you had to be holding you mouth just right or the install would fail. By comparison, GM's tech is genius!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts