Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kit is $115 or so. Make sure you have the dealer print out the instructions before you leave, there's a note in the kit do do that

• Front bowtie is the easy one - do that first
  • Getting the black plastic cover is easy, hard part is clearing the tabs on the bowtie
  • Make sure you orient both bowties with up pointing up! The front can only go one way I believe
  • Opening them up is pretty easy for removal, snapping them back with the new bowtie is a trick. Get your hand down there with a screwdriver and push the bowtie tab horizontally until the grill tab snaps into place
  • The back bowtie is the hard one. They say use a plastic pry tool, I used a metal tool which worked better. Wedge it under the bowtie and leverage until it comes off.
  • Most of the adhesive backing will stay on the glass. Use a heat gun and scraper to get every little bit you can - all the thick stuff at least
  • The 3M cleaner they provide is useless, you don't have enough. Acetone to the rescue!
  • Best procedure is to wet a kim wipe or equivalent and lay it on the goo until it soaks in, then rub off
  • Keep going around until you get it all off. Finish with an alcohol wipe and a whole window cleaning, and then vacuum the whole area
  • The 3M adhesive prep smells like the chemical your dentist uses before gluing down a crown, don't need to obsess over it
Total time about an hour. I had all the tools, you'll want a heat gun, kim wipes, acetone and alcohol. For the front you need a special rounded star bit for the cover screws

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I hear that fishing wire or really tough floss also works well after you heat up the rear badge.

I was dreading cleaning all that adhesive off and after a failed attempt at vinyl wrap, I settled for plastidip (3 tack coats + 2 medium coats + 3 gloss coats = 8 coats total). Dumb me forgot to do this inside and a pieces of lint or something flew in between layers and I failed to notice it in time.

Black bowties on the Summit White look DAMNED good. Thank you for the pics!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that fishing wire or really tough floss also works well after you heat up the rear badge.

I was dreading cleaning all that adhesive off and after a failed attempt at vinyl wrap, I settled for plastidip (3 tack coats + 2 medium coats + 3 gloss coats = 8 coats total). Dumb me forgot to do this inside and a pieces of lint or something flew in between layers and I failed to notice it in time.

Black bowties on the Summit White look DAMNED good. Thank you for the pics!
Yeah I'm surprised at how good it looks, better than I thought and well worth the $$ :nerd:

I forgot about the fishing line idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work, with the flexible putty knife it was hard, I really had to force it in. The door was at the requisite 72º and I also used a heat gun. 90% of the backing was left on the window, but it was straightforward to putty it off, then use the acetone for the remaining. Maybe if I would have heated up the badge more it would have worked better.

Anyhow the gold badges cleaned up perfectly and now they adorn my office.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I removed the rear emblem relatively easy with 60 lb fishing line monofilament, using a sawing motion.
The remaining gunk removed with a plastic scraper then solvent-15 minutes total.

·
Registered
134 Posts
At first I laughed at the idea of spending over $100 to change the bowties from gold to black.. but you know.. it does look good with the Summit White. I also like BoltyMcBoltFace's blue bowtime and stripes, but that's too much for me. I like the clean white with tint look.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice thing is that ignoring the tail lights (red and orange) the exterior colors are black, white with a tiny bit of blue accent. Well chrome too. Black, white, blue and gold was one too many colors for me.

Looks like black was popular in its' history, going to gold in 1982 (gold is such as 1970's thing)

·
Registered
59 Posts
nice, i assume the stripe is vinyl as well?
Yes, 3M gloss blue metallic.

At first I laughed at the idea of spending over $100 to change the bowties from gold to black.. but you know.. it does look good with the Summit White. I also like BoltyMcBoltFace's blue bowtime and stripes, but that's too much for me. I like the clean white with tint look.
As much as I like the clean white look, eventually I get bored with it. Just changing the bowties is a nice touch and a way to personalize it, and the white makes for a great blank slate where almost any color will work (last year the Spark EV got orange for Halloween and then green for Christmas). With the stripes I'll never lose Bolty in a parking lot!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Looks like black was popular in its' history, going to gold in 1982 (gold is such as 1970's thing)
I had to run out to the shop and look at my 1975 Chevy Vega to look at the emblem. Now I know why I had no memory of the color as it has no bowtie. Then I realized all my GM cars have had no bowties. Suburban - GMC, Fiero - Pontiac, Aurora - Oldsmobile. I had gotten rid of an older C10 (1982) that was a GMC to make room for the Suburban (1997). Had two GM donor cars (IROC-Z and Monte Carlo) for my drive train in my Jaguar. No bowties that I know of there. My Bolt is the first one with a bowtie.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I opted for covering the gold with vinyl. It opens up many more color options, and it looks good with the matching racing stripes.
You're not Scottish or from the UK, are you? I'm getting a Mel-Gibson's-William-Wallace-Warpaint vibe from your car. The "BoatyMcBoatface" inspired name was also why I thought you were from the UK.

The blue stripes really pairs well with the blue bowtie. Without the stripes, it would look odd to have a blue bowtie. I'm amazed at your trimming skills with the vinyl. After 3 tries I gave up cause after the final heating and creasing the vinyl on the gold area of the badge, I would end up exposing some gold cause the vinyl didn't quite cover it or I cut too much off and didn't see it until heating and creasing.

Plastidip looks good enough for me even though it's not as shiny looking as vinyl (the original reason I went with it).

·
Registered
59 Posts
You're not Scottish or from the UK, are you? I'm getting a Mel-Gibson's-William-Wallace-Warpaint vibe from your car. The "BoatyMcBoatface" inspired name was also why I thought you were from the UK.
No, just watch a lot of British TV shows. :laugh:

The blue stripes really pairs well with the blue bowtie. Without the stripes, it would look odd to have a blue bowtie. I'm amazed at your trimming skills with the vinyl. After 3 tries I gave up cause after the final heating and creasing the vinyl on the gold area of the badge, I would end up exposing some gold cause the vinyl didn't quite cover it or I cut too much off and didn't see it until heating and creasing.
I did the bowtie first and didn't add the stripe for a week. I actually liked it with just the blue bowtie - it looks like the 1969 Camaro one pictured earlier in the thread.

As for making the vinyl work, the texture on this one does make it more difficult than the smooth bowtie on the Spark. What I did was to cut it a bit oversized, then warm it slightly with a hair dryer and stick it into the crevices around the edge, then use a razor blade (Xacto would be better but I didn't have a sharp one handy) to trace the inside edge of the silver frame. A bit more heat and smoothing around the edges and it's done.

Plastidip looks good enough for me even though it's not as shiny looking as vinyl (the original reason I went with it).
I looked into Plastidip but the vinyl was working for me so I never tried it. Did you use their glossifier clearcoat on it?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Love the stripes!! I had my bowties done the same blue and while in the shop saw a stripe example and real liked it. I have the Kinetic Blue and couldn't decide if I should but love the look. Now what color on the stripes? All cash save on gas is going to mods?

Reactions: LDeschenes

·
Registered
59 Posts
Love the stripes!! I had my bowties done the same blue and while in the shop saw a stripe example and real liked it. I have the Kinetic Blue and couldn't decide if I should but love the look. Now what color on the stripes? All cash save on gas is going to mods?
If I were you, I'd get white stripes on the blue Bolt and blue stripes on the white Volt. They'll look like a perfect matched set! :D

2016 Spark EV Summit White
2017 Bolt EV Summit White

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Volt has a black and red scheme. Black rims red caliper covers and red valve stem caps. With all the chrome on Bolt I was thinking chrome or silver.

·
Registered
182 Posts
3M blue metallic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks nice, Im thinking on doing the emblem same blue as the EV logo. what color of vinyl did you get?
3M 1080 G227 Gloss Blue Metallic. It isn't a perfect match for the Bolt's EV logo - the logo is a bit lighter and not metallic. Also, be warned, the 3x5 "sample size" was not big enough to cover the bowtie in one piece. You can do it in two pieces with a seam, but you'd be better off to get a bigger piece, especially if you want to do both front and rear.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I looked into Plastidip but the vinyl was working for me so I never tried it. Did you use their glossifier clearcoat on it?
I did use glossifier, but it's still not as glossy as the vinyl. Thank you for the vinyl tips. The preheating a cut template and "tacking" down the wrap at the gold edges first sounds like the solution to my issue. I just placed a large piece of wrap on the emblem and creased it to the gold edges without heating the wrap. In fact, now that I think about it more, intermediate heating to pre-shrink the vinyl might help me immensely. THANK YOU! Freakin' rain, go away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
3M 1080 G227 Gloss Blue Metallic. It isn't a perfect match for the Bolt's EV logo - the logo is a bit lighter and not metallic. Also, be warned, the 3x5 "sample size" was not big enough to cover the bowtie in one piece. You can do it in two pieces with a seam, but you'd be better off to get a bigger piece, especially if you want to do both front and rear.
Thanks for the info. Checked online the sample size is a few bucks, the next available size on amazon is 5ft x 1ft at $14

1 - 20 of 52 Posts