Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
@ProfessorBolta - how did the nose look with the bowtie off? Could you run it that way and not have it look odd? Reason I ask is im 99% sure I'm going to just debadge the rear of ours and having seen your thread realized you could even do that in the front, but I can't see from your photo if an outline or flat space is there that will make it look weird.

Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@ProfessorBolta - how did the nose look with the bowtie off?
Odd

Could you run it that way and not have it look odd?
Nope, there's a indentation for the bowtie as far as I recall, plus holes and manufacturing marks, so you'd still see the bowtie outline anyhow

Reason I ask is im 99% sure I'm going to just debadge the rear of ours and having seen your thread realized you could even do that in the front, but I can't see from your photo if an outline or flat space is there that will make it look weird.
I'd replace it with something else then, get a picture of a battery or something made and put it there, but you'd need to 3D print.

Fair warning, I felt the back looked naked without the bowtie, there's a big blank spot, also taking it off was a lot of work. But I'd probably get used to it without too. I'm not fond of the Gold idea - it adds another color at least, but any color that matches the rest of the car looks great (like black with my Summit White).

·
Registered
32 Posts
cheap version...

Why not cover the gold part with black electrical tape, and then use an Xacto knife to cut the tape to expose the chrome bowtie frame...

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Why not cover the gold part with black electrical tape, and then use an Xacto knife to cut the tape to expose the chrome bowtie frame...
Pretty cheap as well, plastidip. It's $6.28 at Home Depot. Some masking tape, newspaper, 8 coats, and few hours of time is all you need. I just ran around doing chores in between coats. Roughly 10-15 minutes between coats.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is the black portion matte or glossy? I'm thinking vinyl wrapping would be alot easier and cheaper.

My Bolt is black. Not looking to murder it out. I just don't like the original color on the bow tie.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is the black portion matte or glossy? I'm thinking vinyl wrapping would be alot easier and cheaper.

My Bolt is black. Not looking to murder it out. I just don't like the original color on the bow tie.
The OEM black bowties are matte black. I ordered a vinyl bowtie wrap kit from Amazon. Installation was tedious. They looked great for a week or two, and then they started to peel off. It looked terrible.

So I peeled those off and ordered the OEM black bowties from a Canadian online Chevrolet parts supplier. This is the link: https://www.buygmparts.ca/oem-parts/gm-f-emblem-pkg-42475530

I did my own install and they look terrific. The vinyl wraps don't have enough lasting power on the rough textured OEM bowties, but the OEM black bowties will last the life of the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The OEM black bowties are matte black. I ordered a vinyl bowtie wrap kit from Amazon. Installation was tedious. They looked great for a week or two, and then they started to peel off. It looked terrible.

So I peeled those off and ordered the OEM black bowties from a Canadian online Chevrolet parts supplier. This is the link: https://www.buygmparts.ca/oem-parts/gm-f-emblem-pkg-42475530

I did my own install and they look terrific. The vinyl wraps don't have enough lasting power on the rough textured OEM bowties, but the OEM black bowties will last the life of the car.
Thanks for the tip. I already ordered the vinyl wrap so I'll probably give it a try regardless. If it peels off then no biggie.

I'm also planning to vinyl wrap the glossy black trim around the 10.2" screen. It's a finger print magnet and it's going to drive me nuts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's a tip for anybody considering replacing the front bowtie emblem.

For good access to the back of the emblem, remove the plastic sight shield (this is step 1 from OP). You will need a Torx T15 bit or screwdriver to remove the two outer screws (shown as '1' on diagram). To remove the four plastic clips ('2' on diagram), insert a flat bade screwdriver into the groove, and partially remove the center pin. The whole clip can then be pulled out. The shield is also secured by a few spring clips located on the forward edge ('3' on diagram). You can pry those out with your finger tips, or gently pry with a wide flat blade screwdriver or small pry bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's a tip for anybody considering replacing the front bowtie emblem.

For good access to the back of the emblem, remove the plastic sight shield (this is step 1 from OP). You will need a Torx T15 bit or screwdriver to remove the two outer screws (shown as '1' on diagram). To remove the four plastic clips ('2' on diagram), insert a flat bade screwdriver into the groove, and partially remove the center pin. The whole clip can then be pulled out. The shield is also secured by a few spring clips located on the forward edge ('3' on diagram). You can pry those out with your finger tips, or gently pry with a wide flat blade screwdriver or small pry bar.
Mad: Where did you get that pic from? It looks like its from a pdf file for the service manual. Thx.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Guess no one wants to turn their Bolt into a Tesla?

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mad: Where did you get that pic from? It looks like its from a pdf file for the service manual. Thx.
Yes, it's a screenshot from the online service manual at https://www.repairprocedures.com. It includes good detail on specific information such as body and interior assembly and disassembly. It requires a subscription, but you can get a short-term (1-day) subscription if you just have a specific repair.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
To clarify madpsintst, you can still see the first page/picture of a specific system. Sometimes that's all you need. So try searching other repair procedures for different views of the same area and you might eek by with just free access.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the reply quirky and mad. I was asking because I was trying disassemble the upper portion of the driver's seat to access the cushion there. I actually slender up subscribing to repair procedures site for the day but their info was really lacking. Luckily I found a member here who did a great video on then disassembly on his Facebook page.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh and to not derail the topic. I ended up plastidipping my emblems instead based on another members recommendation that vinyl doesn't work well with the uneven Bolt emblem.

6 coats of black plastidipp and 4 coats of glossifier. While process took a hair more than hour. I used a heat gun to speed up the drying process.

Tip:

1. when taping off the emblem, make sure you get the tape into the groove channel between the gold and chrome. After you finish painting, get an x-acto knife and cut trim into the channel to make sure you don't pull off any of the paint that's on the emblem.

2. When taping make sure the tape isn't touching the gold emblem portion. I used a very thin flathead screwdriver to make sure there was a gap. Go slow and make sure the taping is perfect.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
392 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bit the bullet and just took the rear emblem off. I like the cleaner look. Contractor’s Solvent removed the gunk quickly and cleanly.

I’m thinking about taking the lettering off the back too and would like to do something with the front emblem (maybe paint black.)

98C33379-B15F-4557-AD5F-C644E0420C16.jpg

B263F43B-9297-471E-8F12-F509F46EA05A.jpg

BB3F8515-2D14-42B2-A1F7-FD9DF3693213.jpg

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Feels weird to have a car with no ID on it. If you do go through with it, would you mind posting pics?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Replaced my front and back gold bowties with black bowties.

Unfortunately - getting the tabs free for the front bowtie was a problem for me and I ended up breaking all of them off :(

I used some auto-plastic glue - it seems to be a very good hold - we'll see. Disappointing I broke off those tabs - I was quite careful. You'd think once I'd broken one - I would have not broken the others... I obviously wasn't doing something right.

For the back - I used a hair dryer and heated up the gold bowtie - then - the fishing line - what a great idea. It took 5 minutes to remove - then another 15 minutes to get the remaining glue off using acetone (another great idea.)

I came very close to not replacing it with the black bowtie - but I did and I'm VERY glad I did. It really looks nice.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just took the back one off - looks great

(only license plate blotted out with Pixelmator)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 52 Posts