Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Bolt has recently been displaying a significantly lower range. I've had the car for a year and a half and have only driven 7,500 miles. Over that distance I have an average of 5.1 Kw/h displayed by the car. I live in SoCal, so winter weather isn't much of a consideration on the range. I hardly use the heater or AC.

6 months ago, when fully charging the car, I'd get 300-310 miles of range. Yesterday, when I fully charged the car, I got 188 miles of range. I've noticed the figure dropping little by little, but had never gone below 220 miles of range prior to yesterday.

Yesterday was the first charge after leaving the car without driving it for 2 weeks (on a 3/4 full battery) because we were out of town and I did not leave it plugged-in. That may explain the 188 range, but I'm still concerned about how much it's dropped over 6 months.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
kendallg, I'm a brand new member to this forum, looking for others with a similar issue. Your issue from March sounds a little similar to mine. My Bolt LT has about 7,500 miles on it and I live the Norther VA area. I hadn't charged our vehicle for about 2 weeks because we do 90% city driving with mostly short trips. A little less that two weeks ago I noticed that our remaining range seemed to dip between trips---from about 120 miles (middle range reading) remaining to about 90 miles. When I charged overnight the vehicle indicated a full battery charge but the available range indicator read only 145 miles. I charged again this week and I got the same range reading (about of 145 miles). We would generally get at least 238 mid range after charging and often we'd show over 300 miles available.

I had my vehicle serviced about 1 month prior and worried that might be the issue (not confident in dealership's competence with EV's). The service was for replacement of a broken tail light and a bad brake booster control module. Still, nothing seemed amiss when I got the car back. Our weather has been mild, for the most part, over the winter and spring. We haven't had any extreme days.

Finally, the regen indicator tends to show gray arrows, most of the time, which I associate with an estimation of recaptured energy. I also rarely show much, if any, recapture of energy on the meter on the far left side of the screen.

I realize this is no help to you but if nothing else we may share the same problem. Here's to documentation.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
When I charged overnight the vehicle indicated a full battery charge but the available range indicator read only 145 miles. I charged again this week and I got the same range reading (about of 145 miles). We would generally get at least 238 mid range after charging and often we'd show over 300 miles available.
145 is too low for a full charge. unless the car is set to charge at a lower percentage of full. you might have a battery issue. OP's 188 wasn't that low to rule out other seasonal/behavioral factors.

edit: OP did end up with a battery replacement

·
Registered
5 Posts
145 is too low for a full charge. unless the car is set to charge at a lower percentage of full. you might have a battery issue. OP's 188 wasn't that low to rule out other seasonal/behavioral factors.
There were no changes to the car's settings between now and the last time it charged to full. I failed to mention before that battery usage has also been a bit wacky. I would burn off 4 miles on the indicator in about a 1/4 mile distance, then it would hold steady, then it would earn back a mile or two. All this in a 2 mile trip.

Thanks much for the link re: battery replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Following up on my original problem. In short, the dealership replaced one section of the battery pack rather than the entire battery. As long as I have no future issues I'm happy with that. Have had the car back for three days and it's working properly. I was without my car for about two and a half weeks. I had an ICE vehicle as a loaner so I experienced what that's like again. I'm really happy to have my Bolt EV back!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Two and a half weeks for a cell replacement. That's pretty good, the repairs out here seem longer. There's a Bolt in week #7 for a rear end axle issue at my local dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts