Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ill be honest I was really eyeing a Tesla Model 3. But the $35K Model 3 is a pipe dream. The cheapest spec is $39,5K and that's if you choose black with no options. In reality Id be looking at a near $50K car. Now that the Federal Tax credit was cut in half Chevy had to do something to move Bolts and boy did they do something. They're offering rebates that equal to $13K off MSRP. It was a deal too good to refuse! I've been following EV's for a while now and the Bolt was always on my radar. Yeah the seat is narrow, yeah im wide, but I fit OK. Anyone who knows me said I would go for tacos immediately after leaving the dealer. I went for some amazing shrimp tacos!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome!
Ill be honest I was really eyeing a Tesla Model 3. But the $35K Model 3 is a pipe dream. The cheapest spec is $39,5K and that's if you choose black with no options. In reality Id be looking at a near $50K car. Now that the Federal Tax rebate
$35K Model 3 did finally exist. It was off-menu. You had to call or visit a store: https://www.tesla.com/blog/update-our-vehicle-lineup.

It's now become $35,400: https://electrek.co/2019/05/14/tesla-model-3-increases-price/. But yes, that's for black and no options.

The tax incentive you refer to is a tax credit, not a rebate.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Bonus points for including the taco place in some of your pics! :D

Anyway, congratulations on the new ride. If you ever have issues with the seats, there are a few threads here on DIY workarounds. But you probably won't need it since you do have the 2019, and GM seems to have mitigated the seat issue to a degree with your Bolt's model year version.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Now that the Federal Tax rebate was cut in half Chevy had to do something to move Bolts and boy did they do something. They're offering rebates that equal to $13K off MSRP.
Thanks for sharing. We need regular updates on the net-net cost of a new Bolt. What was your out-the-door net; MSRP less GM/delaer rebates, plus all state sales taxes and license, minus whatever federal tax credits and state tax credits and utility rebates?

jack vines

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing. We need regular updates on the net-net cost of a new Bolt. What was your out-the-door net; MSRP less GM/delaer rebates, plus all state sales taxes and license, minus whatever federal tax credits and state tax credits and utility rebates?

jack vines
My car had an MSRP of $39,500. I got it for $27,448 not including taxes, fees etc. I lose the Federal Tax Credit because the car was leased, but I get $2,500 from the State of CA. I get $1,000 from Southern California Edison (Utility). I also get $250 from the AQMD for a purchase of a level 2 charger.

There was some dealers offering Bolts as low as $25,500 if you qualified for all the GM rebates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bonus points for including the taco place in some of your pics! :D

Anyway, congratulations on the new ride. If you ever have issues with the seats, there are a few threads here on DIY workarounds. But you probably won't need it since you do have the 2019, and GM seems to have mitigated the seat issue to a degree with your Bolt's model year version.
Yeah the seat is pretty firm on the 2019 not much padding. I don't even want to imagine how bad the previous model year seats were.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
My car had an MSRP of $39,500. I got it for $27,448 not including taxes, fees etc. I lose the Federal Tax Credit because the car was leased, but I get $2,500 from the State of CA. I get $1,000 from Southern California Edison (Utility). I also get $250 from the AQMD for a purchase of a level 2 charger.

There was some dealers offering Bolts as low as $25,500 if you qualified for all the GM rebates.
Congratulations on your new Bolt!

I’m a bit confused by your comment that the “car was leased”.

Did you do a purchase or a lease?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations on your new Bolt!

I’m a bit confused by your comment that the “car was leased”.

Did you do a purchase or a lease?
Sorry for the confusion, yes it's a lease. I miss the federal tax credit, but I can get local and state incentives. I didn't wanna buy the car because Chevy is working on a Crossover based on the Bolt I might be interested in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats on getting a Bolt. I'm 6 months in and love the car more than ever.

What are your monthly lease payments and mileage allowance if you don't mind sharing?

I'm in California and leased a 2018 Premier in late December and got it with nothing down, 12,000 miles, $484/month for 3 years. I just got my $2,500 State rebate in the mail and also got @$250 off my SDGE bill. The carpool lane sticker is very very nice for my work commute too!

Saving over $200/month in gas easy and my electric bill went down $20/month since I signed up for the EV plan getting super off peak rates.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, yes it's a lease. I miss the federal tax credit, but I can get local and state incentives. I didn't wanna buy the car because Chevy is working on a Crossover based on the Bolt I might be interested in.
Thanks, I also leased back in 2017 as I couldn’t take advantage of the federal tax credit. With Bolts being heavily discounted there must be great lease deals out there. The tax credit goes to the lessor (most likely GM Financial), and they get the $3,750. With any luck most of that credit was reflected in your lease cost.

·
Registered
361 Posts
That seems to me to be somewhat a compliance car. They build it, but they're really not eager to sell it.
I think it was intended more to say "see we built it". And, yes on the latter. I wouldn't be surprised if they kill it just like they did with the 40 kWh S, claiming "nobody" wanted it. The folks who ordered a 40 kWh S (before it was killed) ended up receiving a 60 kWh car software locked to 40. One could no longer order a 40 kWh S at that point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We got practically the same deal on a loaded Bolt LT 2 weeks ago. We were also looking at a model 3 SR. Adding in the $1200 destination charge and the $1000 paint adder (I don't want a black car) made the model 3 $10K more than the Bolt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congrats on getting a Bolt. I'm 6 months in and love the car more than ever.

What are your monthly lease payments and mileage allowance if you don't mind sharing?

I'm in California and leased a 2018 Premier in late December and got it with nothing down, 12,000 miles, $484/month for 3 years. I just got my $2,500 State rebate in the mail and also got @$250 off my SDGE bill. The carpool lane sticker is very very nice for my work commute too!

Saving over $200/month in gas easy and my electric bill went down $20/month since I signed up for the EV plan getting super off peak rates.
I put down $5K, and I am allowed 18,000 per year for 3 Years. My lease came out to right under $350 per month. I also applied for the $2,500 State of CA rebate, $1000 rebate from SoCal Edison, applied for the lower energy rates, and my HOV lane sticker is in the mail! Oh and just today I purchased a Juicebox Pro 40 from Costco they had it for $499. SCAQMD will kick me back $250 for the purchase of the Level 2 charger so I basically got it for half off.

I'm very excited to go have gone EV. I haven't kicked the gas car to the curb yet, I still have to sell my Prius, and I own a Tundra. My wife daily commutes in her Camry.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I put down $5K, and I am allowed 18,000 per year for 3 Years. My lease came out to right under $350 per month.
Welcome to the forum. The Bolt is such a wonderful car, the dollars are somewhat incidental. The Bolt at MSRP is not really a justifiable value, but it's just such a really fun car to drive everyday.

Help me make sure I understand the fine print if it comes up for discussion; as it does here regularly. $5000 down over three years is $138 per month, plus the $350 monthly is net $488? FWIW, that's pretty much why we didn't lease.

When manufacturers really want new cars on the market, they give away the monthly lease payments. During the time we were deciding to buy the Bolt, GM was still where you are on leases; we didn't like the $488. Alfa-Romeo was offering the Giulia for $300-a-month. A far-and-away better value, but we knew we wanted the best BEV value. We'll have to keep it for several years for the purchase to equal out, but it's still going to be fun five years from now.

jack vines

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the forum. The Bolt is such a wonderful car, the dollars are somewhat incidental. The Bolt at MSRP is not really a justifiable value, but it's just such a really fun car to drive everyday.

Help me make sure I understand the fine print if it comes up for discussion; as it does here regularly. $5000 down over three years is $138 per month, plus the $350 monthly is net $488? FWIW, that's pretty much why we didn't lease.

When manufacturers really want new cars on the market, they give away the monthly lease payments. During the time we were deciding to buy the Bolt, GM was still where you are on leases; we didn't like the $488. Alfa-Romeo was offering the Giulia for $300-a-month. A far-and-away better value, but we knew we wanted the best BEV value. We'll have to keep it for several years for the purchase to equal out, but it's still going to be fun five years from now.

jack vines
Im not sure I understand what you're asking. My lease payment per month is $350 for 36 months. That is including my allowance of 18,000 miles per year. I put down $5K at the start of the lease including first months lease payment. It would have been like $250 per month but I had to purchase more miles due to my commute. Im happy with the lease payment.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ill be honest I was really eyeing a Tesla Model 3. But the $35K Model 3 is a pipe dream. The cheapest spec is $39,5K and that's if you choose black with no options. In reality Id be looking at a near $50K car. Now that the Federal Tax credit was cut in half Chevy had to do something to move Bolts and boy did they do something. They're offering rebates that equal to $13K off MSRP. It was a deal too good to refuse! I've been following EV's for a while now and the Bolt was always on my radar. Yeah the seat is narrow, yeah im wide, but I fit OK. Anyone who knows me said I would go for tacos immediately after leaving the dealer. I went for some amazing shrimp tacos!

That’s a beauty! Congratulations! I just bought a 2020 last night here in Phoenix Az.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The tax credit is a moot point if you're retired because many of us don't have a tax liability,specially the 7.5k that was the original amount. I believe it current credit will save me $6! LOL I don't think I'll claim it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
The tax credit is a moot point if you're retired because many of us don't have a tax liability,specially the 7.5k that was the original amount. I believe it current credit will save me $6! LOL I don't think I'll claim it.
I guess this problem applies to everyone, not just retirees. My co-worker wants to buy an EV but he does not have enough tax liability to take advantage of the whole $7,500. Also, some retirees do have over $7,500 annual federal tax liability.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts