Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having repeatedly dealt with rats under the hoods of my Bolts, I haven't noticed any permanent damage yet. I've read about their propensity to chew wiring, and it occurred to me that wire chewing and the fires among Bolts may be related. I hope they check the affected vehicles for signs of rat damage. Rodents are attracted by the coating on wires, and possibly the electromagnetic activity involved in charging...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I’ve had three wires chewed through so far at about $900 worth. And I have thought the same thing, so far they have only chewed low amp sensor wires. The problem with these fires is that they are so intense there probably is a lot of evidence that vaporized.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not a bad idea to check. I've lived in my current home for 13 years and never had evidence of a mouse in the garage. A month after I get my Bolt, I find mouse droppings and pee on the inverter. And there's another car in the garage that was never touched. Guess that soy wiring is delicious!

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
My Bolt is outside all the time and I think the rodents are attracted to the heat. In a gas car you drive it gets hot come home turn it off and it gets cold. With the Bolt below 30 or 40 it is heating the battery all the time and they like that warmth. At least that’s my opinion.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
205 Posts
Doesn't make logical sense, it appears all of these battery fires are originating inside of the pack. External damage would very likely result in damage to that specific area. Not all of the Bolts have been total burnouts, leaving most areas intact for investigators.

Before you post more theories on this subject, please consider some of the following facts:
  • GM has publicly, but in a low key way, stated they believe the LG/Korean made cells are the source of the problem.
  • Hyundai Konas are also under recall for more than a dozen instances of battery fires.
  • The cells for the Bolts under recall and the Konas under recall, came from the same source.

Opinion: LG is a MAJOR partner in GM's vision for future products. If you think GM is going to publicly finger point a major partner all willy nilly, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Doesn't make logical sense, it appears all of these battery fires are originating inside of the pack. External damage would very likely result in damage to that specific area. Not all of the Bolts have been total burnouts, leaving most areas intact for investigators.

Before you post more theories on this subject, please consider some of the following facts:
  • GM has publicly, but in a low key way, stated they believe the LG/Korean made cells are the source of the problem.
  • Hyundai Konas are also under recall for more than a dozen instances of battery fires.
  • The cells for the Bolts under recall and the Konas under recall, came from the same source.

Opinion: LG is a MAJOR partner in GM's vision for future products. If you think GM is going to publicly finger point a major partner all willy nilly, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
I hope they figure it out. But between my rodent issues and brake rust I don’t think I’ll be going BEV again.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt EV Premium - Metallic Grey
50 Posts
I'd love to see a mouse chew through the HV battery cable.
mmmm toasty.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt & 2015 Spark EV
205 Posts
I'd love to see a mouse chew through the HV battery cable.
mmmm toasty.
Car would have to be on to get that HV. Could happen, but HIGHLY unlikely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts