Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I noticed this just started happening to my Bolt last week, and I have only 5k miles on it, with a brand new OEM carbon air filter replaced 2 months back (to reduce outside smells).

ISSUE: With the cabin blower fan set to 'on' and at level'8', and recirc is off, and auto is off, and ONLY having the defrost-or-foot vents 'selected' [not the front vents], does anyone get air coming into the cabin? I can hear the fan blowing working like crazy [at level 8 !], but no air is coming through the defrost-or-foot vents.

If I select the front vents in this same config, air starts to come into the cabin OK. ['recirc' and 'auto' seem to blow air ok]

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi All,

I noticed this just started happening to my Bolt last week, and I have only 5k miles on it, with a brand new OEM carbon air filter replaced 2 months back (to reduce outside smells).

ISSUE: With the cabin blower fan set to 'on' and at level'8', and recirc is off, and auto is off, and ONLY having the defrost-or-foot vents 'selected' [not the front vents], does anyone get air coming into the cabin? I can hear the fan blowing working like crazy [at level 8 !], but no air is coming through the defrost-or-foot vents.

If I select the front vents in this same config, air starts to come into the cabin OK. ['recirc' and 'auto' seem to blow air ok]
Did you ever find more about this?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A good test to see if outside air is making it in is to have some perfume or strong scent near the intake of the car (front chevy badge or near the bottom of the windshield, underneath the hood). I don't have a carbon filter (just the oem one that came with the Bolt) and I definitely smell ICE exhaust when RECIRC off. With it on, it take a while before I can smell the exhaust from ICEs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I figured it out. When there is no air blowing in the same situation described above, all I have to do is turn the dial all the way to the left so that it says 'LO'. At that stage, air seems to flow normally/OK.

So, even though the automatic (AUTO) temperature system is not turned on, the car somehow determines the temperature in the cabin vs outside air, and controls how much air flow is allowed to come into the car.

In this situation, I had the dial setting at 72, but because I did not turn on the 'auto' function, I assumed that no thermal calculations were being completed. I was wrong.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
In this situation, I had the dial setting at 72, but because I did not turn on the 'auto' function, I assumed that no thermal calculations were being completed. I was wrong.
I kind of assumed that if the "Recirc" button was still on "Auto" then the car would choose to enable or disable recirc based on the desired temperature setting, even if "Heat & AC" was off. So, for example, if the ambient temperature was a lot colder than the HVAC temperature setting, it would turn recirc on, whereas it would turn it off if the cabin needed to be cooled and the outside air temperature was cool. I haven't tested it, but it seemed like a logical way for the system to operate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In the old days one could pull a vent lever and allow outside air to be forced into the cabin by the motion of the vehicle.

Has anyone found a setting that will allow outside air into the cabin without having any part of the HVAC system on?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
In the old days one could pull a vent lever and allow outside air to be forced into the cabin by the motion of the vehicle.

Has anyone found a setting that will allow outside air into the cabin without having any part of the HVAC system on?
I haven't figured out a way. What I do is turn the AC/Heat off and the recirc off (takes two hits, one to take off auto and another to turn off recirc) then adjust the fan setting. Seems to bring in outside air that way.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
What I do is turn the AC/Heat off and the recirc off (takes two hits, one to take off auto and another to turn off recirc) then adjust the fan setting. Seems to bring in outside air that way.
That's pretty much the only way to get unconditioned outside air in the cab short of cracking a window.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Yup. This is one of my biggest frustrations with modern cars. The old 1970's Datsun 510s were fabulous. They had a big ball-in-socket vent at the corner of the dash on each side. You could point that at your face, and get outside air blasting out of there, at anything over a walk. No fan needed, and somehow they routed it so it picked up no heat from the engine compartment. Ever since AC became basically standard on all cars, the vents are terrible, requiring a fan, and the air is routed over ever hot engine part before it arrives at the dash.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Well, maybe this is an opportunity for the aftermarket. In this place where there is now just a window-

You could remove the glass, and replace it with a panel that has a pop out vent scoop on the outside and the swiveling eyeball vent on the inside. Direct air from outside blasting straight on you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Well, maybe this is an opportunity for the aftermarket. In this place where there is now just a window-

You could remove the glass, and replace it with a panel that has a pop out vent scoop on the outside and the swiveling eyeball vent on the inside. Direct air from outside blasting straight on you.
used to call those wing windows back in the day. all the cars had them. open the wing window and point it at your face.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
used to call those wing windows back in the day. all the cars had them. open the wing window and point it at your face.
Yep, I've owned many cars with those. I've also owned cars with the pop up vent on the cowl and even one with pop open vents in the foot wells.

Ultimately, I much prefer my rolled up windows HVAC climate control.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts