Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best way I can think to describe it is a glitch. Randomly and fairly frequently when I start the vehicle and turn on climate control it will not give enough heating or cooling to reach the set temperature. This is a lot more noticeable in the summer time when I’m requesting cooling. The problem seems to occur randomly but then goes away after I turn off the vehicle and start it again. For example yesterday I Had the temp set at 70 and it was barely moving any air, air was cool but should have been much cooler, turned the temp all the way to LO setting, fan kicked on high speed but air still wasn’t as cool as it should have been. After reaching destination, turning off, then turning back on to go to the next destination, the air is so cold it’s blowing me out now. Anyone else have this happen?
TIA

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have found the climate control to operate in a strange manner. I typically have it set for 68 or 70 and find it blowing fairly hard for the duration of the entire ride ..... I end up basically controlling the fan manually but this behavior is not constant from trip to trip. I think the next time it happens I'm going to 'reboot' the system and see how it behaves after.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The best way I can think to describe it is a glitch. Randomly and fairly frequently when I start the vehicle and turn on climate control it will not give enough heating or cooling to reach the set temperature. This is a lot more noticeable in the summer time when I’m requesting cooling. The problem seems to occur randomly but then goes away after I turn off the vehicle and start it again. For example yesterday I Had the temp set at 70 and it was barely moving any air, air was cool but should have been much cooler, turned the temp all the way to LO setting, fan kicked on high speed but air still wasn’t as cool as it should have been. After reaching destination, turning off, then turning back on to go to the next destination, the air is so cold it’s blowing me out now. Anyone else have this happen?
TIA
My 2019 does this. I usually notice it more during our cold winters here. When exiting the car for a short time and getting back to it, the heat is not at nominal level. It can take some time to kick in properly. Raising the temperature usually does the trick.

I presumed it was a probe misreading related to residual heat in the heater when stopping that prevented it to properly operate for some time short after. Pure speculation though.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses! I’m going to try disabling the “auto defog” and will report back with the results. I found another thread about the auto defog. Seems like a useless feature to me that is causing more issues then it solves.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay well something is definitely not right here. Auto defog is already "off". I thought I had disabled it previously but I just verified a few minutes ago.

The strange thing is that even though it is off I think something is causing the heat to come on. The climate control is totally off (I turn it off when I park for the night), Outside temp is 80 F, and the vehicle is pulling a steady 5kw sitting in park. I have owned the vehicle for almost 3 years now and the only time it is pulling that kind of energy when in park is when the climate control is calling for heat. Any other ideas as to what could be causing this?

EDIT: Quick Google search reveals there is a TSB released regarding what sounds like this issue. It has something to do with a possibly pinched wiring harness. TSB is mentioned in the following thread. This would explain why I am seeing what I am seeing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
My 2019 has always been erratic with heating and cooling. For example, I have HVAC set to 74 and the outside temp is 82 and it'll be throwing heat instead of AC. Turn it down ONE degree to 73 and it'll switch to cooling. After some time checking temps in the car with an IR thermometer, I finally decided that the temperature I'm setting is being maintained at the front passenger floor area or the area of the lower dash under the glove compartment. Temps in that area seem to agree with the HVAC setting so I think the temperature sensor is down there. Unfortunately with a tall car like the Bolt, there is a big difference in temperature between the area under the glove box and your head as the driver. We feel heat/cool in our faces and upper body.

Anyway, I think the erratic operation of HVAC in the Bolt might just be caused by a bad cabin temperature sensor location. That TSB covers a similar problem too but it sounds like with a pinched wire problem, you'll probably get no AC/heat at all or not be able to get it in the right mode. With my complaint (and it sounds like yours), the temperature settings just seems to be "off" a bit. If I let mine sit in a sunny parking lot for a bit and get back in, mine will blow AC at max fan speed for a while because it detects a high temp inside the car: if it can detect the high temp and do that, it's likely not a pinched wire because the temp sensor must be working.

Mike

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I find that the HVAC system's "Auto" setting seems to have a "dead" zone right around the point where it would have to switch from heating to cooling. If the temperature you set is very near the ambient temperature it seems that you get either unwanted heating or unwanted cooling, and changing the temperature by 1 degree in the direction that should eliminate it will cause the system to reverse and go too hard in the opposite direction. When that happens I just go into manual mode and set what I want myself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My '19 just started something like this. On auto, it seems to think the temperature inside is around 70F and will switch from AC to heat. First encountered this last week when I was parked in the sun and used the remote function to precondition. Imagine our surprise when we found the heat on with the outside temperature at 90F. Today it will shift between heat and AC around 69F or 70F when set on Auto. And tomorrow I leave on a two day trip in 90F weather...

·
Registered
666 Posts
My '19 just started something like this. On auto, it seems to think the temperature inside is around 70F and will switch from AC to heat. First encountered this last week when I was parked in the sun and used the remote function to precondition. Imagine our surprise when we found the heat on with the outside temperature at 90F. Today it will shift between heat and AC around 69F or 70F when set on Auto. And tomorrow I leave on a two day trip in 90F weather...
That sounds like it could be a problem like the pinched wire problem. My 2019 never fails to blow max AC after sitting in the sun.

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with MikeyBolt about 1 degree difference switching from AC to heat even though the outside air is close to what I'm requesting. I think there needs to be more hysteresis in the control, and more paying attention to when the outside air would do just fine for cooling or heating.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I agree with MikeyBolt about 1 degree difference switching from AC to heat even though the outside air is close to what I'm requesting. I think there needs to be more hysteresis in the control, and more paying attention to when the outside air would do just fine for cooling or heating.
I think the designers need to understand that there's a range between "heat" and "cool" where you don't need the HVAC system to run at all and you can get along just fine by running the fan alone.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
58 Posts
I mostly run mine on manual. I don't particularly like the decisions it makes in auto. I find the same thing with my Camaro.

Then again I wish the Bolt had a manual transmission. I guess one speed and L is almost there. To me auto means do it the cars way and not my way.

In all fairness, the way I want to feel from day to day varies a lot too. I run my home HVAC on "manual" some too. I cannot stand any of the auto thermostats I have tried. The main issue to me is that they just do not measure enough parameters to deceid what indeed should be comfortable.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
58 Posts
Haha, now don't get me going on auto up/down windows.

Same with adaptive cruise, sorry News Coulomb, and self driving. They are both great ideas but they need to work the way I want them too. I need something that works and not just a cuddly pet that I need to keep my eye on all the time.

The same for distracting flashing lights that may cause more harm than good. It's so reassuring for the car to tell me there is in fact a pedestrian walking on the sidewalk. Neat parlor tricks.

Maybe things to help the driver would be nice. Like, did I fall asleep? Am I looking at the road? Sort of like electronic rumble strips. Not sexy enough I guess.

But, I love the Bolt since it is a whole lot simpler than it might be!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts