Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, probably discussed a lot but I'd like to get a more personalized response from current EV owners.

I'm done with the high gas prices here in CA, especially southern CA as we are over $3/gal and our Legislators have approved an additional $.12/gal GAS TAX . My commute is over 100 miles round trip per day, with one day being over 150 miles. 90% of it is highway, with some stop/go at the end. With my current vehicle being a 2015 Chevy Colorado CC Z71 V-6, I'm spending way too much on gas each month.

So, the Prius is out as I just don't like the style and it would drive me crazy every day. The Volt is nice but only 53 miles on electric, then around 40 mpg after that. Hyundai now has the Ioniq that gets over 50mpg.

My question is, what are the options as to hybrid v. EV those those kind of figures, especially anyone who went from hybrid to EV. Thanks

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
What is your charging situation?
Can you charge at home and at work? Any access to free charging?

You know the difference between L1 and L2 charging right?

·
Registered
862 Posts
OK, probably discussed a lot but I'd like to get a more personalized response from current EV owners.

I'm done with the high gas prices here in CA, especially southern CA as we are over $3/gal and our Legislators have approved an additional $.12/gal GAS TAX . My commute is over 100 miles round trip per day, with one day being over 150 miles. 90% of it is highway, with some stop/go at the end. With my current vehicle being a 2015 Chevy Colorado CC Z71 V-6, I'm spending way too much on gas each month.

So, the Prius is out as I just don't like the style and it would drive me crazy every day. The Volt is nice but only 53 miles on electric, then around 40 mpg after that. Hyundai now has the Ioniq that gets over 50mpg.

My question is, what are the options as to hybrid v. EV those those kind of figures, especially anyone who went from hybrid to EV. Thanks
We have both a hybrid and an EV in the garage. If given the choice (and the trip is within EV range), both my wife and I will pick the EV every time (and she was skeptical/reluctant to go electric at first).

The plain and simple truth is that EV's are fun to drive. This is now cited as the #1 reason for adoption in many studies.
The very minimal scheduled maintenance on an EV is also a huge plus (Bolt = rotate tires every 7500 miles, change cabin air filter every 22,500. Coolant changed at 150K and brake fluid at 5 years).

Downside in SO Cal is that home charging can be expensive (there have been some horror stories). Moving to a TOU plan to save on EV charging can put many of your other electric usage into a much higher cost tier (A/C is a good example). Adding solar will likely pay for itself in a few years if your situation allows adding it.

Check with your utility company to find what it will likely cost you to charge. 4 miles/kWh is probably a reasonably conservative ballpark for what you will get with the Bolt, so 1000 miles will be ~ 250 kWh.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I drove a CT200h for 3+ years at $0.08/mile (ave). Then a Prius C at $0.06-0.07/mile on average for a couple of years before getting the Bolt. The MPG for both cars were tracked with the Fuely App. The Chevy App shows lifetime 3.7mi/kWh and a 4.2mi/kWh since last charge. Under TOU B ($0.13/kWh super off peak) that equates to $0.03-$0.04/mi.

Even with the increase in electrical rates with SCE under the time of use plan, I'm saving ~$20/month. This is just a unscientific comparison of my electrical bills from Mar 2016 (w/o Bolt) and Mar 2017 (w/ Bolt). The difference was ~$80 which was almost all due to the increase in super off peak use (equates to charging the Bolt). Surprisingly the on/off peak kWh use was almost identical. Monthly gas bill with the Prius C was about $100/mon so the difference is the $20 in savings.

My commute is about 70-80 miles a day and there are hills. Also the To / From routes are different due to traffic.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'm done with the high gas prices here in CA, especially southern CA as we are over $3/gal and our Legislators have approved an additional $.12/gal GAS TAX .
Just an FYI, the idiotic bill that will raise those gas taxes and is in front of the assembly now, will also include a $100 annual fee on zero emission vehicles, as well as an increase in registration fees ranging from $25 to $175 annually depending on vehicle value. My guess is a brand new Bolt would be assessed around $100 in addition to the EV tax and the usual taxes and fees we already pay. The range is $25 for cars under $5000 in value and $175 for cars valued over $60,000. What happens in-between is up to the technocrats and bureaucrats to figure out.

So just going electric won't get you out of helping to pay for the governor's useless high speed train to nowhere.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went from from a 2014 Prius to the Bolt. I drove about 1,000 miles a month with the 36,000 miles/3 year lease. I kept a detailed log of my gas usage and cost. Average gas price was $3/gallon. I used 766.879 gallons of gas for a total of $2,299.50 over 34 months (my lease actually ends in June). That comes out to $65/month on gas. The 12 cents/gallon would have cost me another $93.16 over the course of the 34 months (assuming I just make my new average gas price $3.12).

So far with the Bolt I have spent $34 to charge my car since leasing it on March 14th. But my circumstances are somewhat different. I can charge my car for free at my work. I actually don't even have a Level 2 charger at my home.

I think if you just use the average calculations of 12 cents/kW to charge an EV, 4 miles/kW average for the Bolt and driving 1,000 miles a month, you spend $30/month on electricity. So relative to me, I would save $35/month or $1,260 over 36 months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
$100 annual fee on zero emission vehicles
FYI, the $100 annual fee for ZEV will start for 2020 models.

Average car sold in the US gets 27 mpg. Driving 1,000 miles a month, comes out to using ~37 gallons/month. At ~$3/gallon, that's ~$111/month on gas. At $3.12 per gallon, that's $115/month which is a difference of $53/year.

This means as Bolt owners (if we had to pay the $100/year right now) would pay an extra $47/year more than owning a typical ICE. But the savings in fuel cost from driving an EV would be $115-$30 or $85/month or $1020/year. So, with the extra we pay for the fee, we would still save $973/year.

Our original poster would save EVEN more per year because it seems like he will be driving 2,000+ plus miles a month. His gas tax would double to $106/year, making the $100 fee on ZEV (which again, doesn't happen yet) paid for.

I would still take the ZEV base on that math.

Though, it seems like there isn't a fee on PHEV such as the BMWi3. If BMW can extend their battery range to ~150 to 200 miles AND have the gasoline range extender, making it no longer a ZEV, you could theoretically get the best of both world of having a long range EV AND NOT pay the $100/year fee on ZEV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I'm still up in the air between the Bolt and the Volt. Going to look at them tonight but probably won't purchase until I can compare dealer prices AFTER I decide which one to get!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Another perspective. Driving about 8,000 kms (5,000 mi.) per year, fuel cost isn't an issue for me. I was attracted to the gen II Volt and think the interior is nicer, but Bolt won out : no piston engine to maintain (or worry about fuel going stale) and the Bolt's "CUV" style seating & utility versus a passenger car seating and trunk.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I suggest a different option that I did 40 years ago and helped me save thousands of dollars in gasoline, maintenance and car purchases: Move closer!

I don't have any EV, just gas vehicles. But I traveled over 50 miles a day when I began working in 1974. Then I married in 1976 and it became two cars! But in April 1977 I moved closer to just six miles away from my job place. That reduced traveling time, allowed me to sleep longer in the morning, return less tired in the evenings, and avoid spending more money for all the gasoline, maintenance, tires, and cars (they lasted 21 years or more each). So if you wish to save money and time, and have a happier life and marriage, move closer and you will not need to buy any EV, and you will save with what you drive now.

Reactions: EldRick

·
Registered
8 Posts
I suggest a different option that I did 40 years ago and helped me save thousands of dollars in gasoline, maintenance and car purchases: Move closer!

I don't have any EV, just gas vehicles. But I traveled over 50 miles a day when I began working in 1974. Then I married in 1976 and it became two cars! But in April 1977 I moved closer to just six miles away from my job place. That reduced traveling time, allowed me to sleep longer in the morning, return less tired in the evenings, and avoid spending more money for all the gasoline, maintenance, tires, and cars (they lasted 21 years or more each). So if you wish to save money and time, and have a happier life and marriage, move closer and you will not need to buy any EV, and you will save with what you drive now.
This is a great recommendation...unless you live in California, especially northern California where the prices of homes near your job are considerable higher than ones further away. Glad you were able to make this happen, but the reality is that many of us are not so fortunate. In that regard it is actually a good idea to think about alternative options.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree it would be better to live closer to my work..... but in reality here, NEVER. I made the decision looking ago to move out of the congested city life for the benefit of my family. The air quality was so bad that it affected my son's health, and the schools here are blue ribbon. We have parks, open space and are about 22 miles from the ocean. I'll suffer through the traffic for them

·
Registered
786 Posts
I agree it would be better to live closer to my work..... but in reality here, NEVER. I made the decision looking ago to move out of the congested city life for the benefit of my family. The air quality was so bad that it affected my son's health, and the schools here are blue ribbon. We have parks, open space and are about 22 miles from the ocean. I'll suffer through the traffic for them
There I will recommend a new option: Change your job place or move your job. A friend of my niece (both are medical doctors) had to travel many miles to his job place at a city hospital, and suffered for it. He decided to open his own office less than a mile from his home. Now he is happy, safe, and can walk from his home to his office to keep himself in shape. And some of his own neighbors are his patients.

I worked with computers, and I once thought of working remotely, but I had to supervise employees and physical systems, so a remote job was not possible.

My point is to travel less, and live well. I will never be a "slave" to my cars. It is a huge waste of money, time , and of my life.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Not everyone can move their job, or change jobs to be closer to home, or move closer to an existing job. It's not practical or affordable in many cases. For those people that can do those things, that's great for them, and I envy the ability to be able to do that.

Reactions: dmatt13

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was going to have the same response to that post. I drive 175 miles round trip to work. I'd rather not do it, but the place I live is fantastic and the house is literally the "log cabin (circa 1750) in the woods" deal.

Just to make sure you understand (I think you do though), the Volt is not a traditional "hybrid". The Volt is an extended-range electric vehicle, where the car runs in EV mode then switches to gasoline but still drives as an electric.

That said, I'm still working the details of my Bolt purchase, but since I've considered this to great depth and done all the cost calculations, I'd like to chime in. So I've driven both the Bolt and Volt. Both are great cars in my opinion. I like the Volt so much I convinced a friend to buy a Gen 1 in late 2015. He loves it. His commute round trip is within the 38-mile range of the Gen 1 Volt; he put $3.00 of gas in it over the 1st year he owned it. If your trip is 100 miles round trip, than you can almost make one leg in EV mode. If you can charge at work, then you'd almost be gas free for your round trip. The Bolt will easily make the round trip on a single charge regardless of the California weather. The issue I see is if you have an alternate gas vehicle for long distance trips with the family, then the Bolt would be a good choice. If you need to be range unlimited and can charge at work, then the Volt fits the bill nicely.

Good luck with the choice.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I was going to have the same response to that post. I drive 175 miles round trip to work. I'd rather not do it, but the place I live is fantastic and the house is literally the "log cabin (circa 1750) in the woods" deal.

Just to make sure you understand (I think you do though), the Volt is not a traditional "hybrid". The Volt is an extended-range electric vehicle, where the car runs in EV mode then switches to gasoline but still drives as an electric.

That said, I'm still working the details of my Bolt purchase, but since I've considered this to great depth and done all the cost calculations, I'd like to chime in. So I've driven both the Bolt and Volt. Both are great cars in my opinion. I like the Volt so much I convinced a friend to buy a Gen 1 in late 2015. He loves it. His commute round trip is within the 38-mile range of the Gen 1 Volt; he put $3.00 of gas in it over the 1st year he owned it. If your trip is 100 miles round trip, than you can almost make one leg in EV mode. If you can charge at work, then you'd almost be gas free for your round trip. The Bolt will easily make the round trip on a single charge regardless of the California weather. The issue I see is if you have an alternate gas vehicle for long distance trips with the family, then the Bolt would be a good choice. If you need to be range unlimited and can charge at work, then the Volt fits the bill nicely.

Good luck with the choice.
When you get your Bolt, you need to get us a picture of it in front of that log cabin! Do you have a log garage to put the Bolt in? ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I'd love to see that pic as well!!
"
Yeah, these's no option of changing jobs. I have 19 yrs in and can retire at 20. If I put in 25, then I get my health insurance covered for life! It may sound like a no brainer to say ' just change jobs" But in reality, it's no where near that easy.

I had a very difficult time choosing between the Volt and the Bolt, but in the end, the "range anxiety" won out! I really like the Volt!! And in a couple of years who knows where electric vehicles will be. I am having the 240V 50A circuit put in the garage tomorrow so it will be there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The answer to the original question of plug-in hybrid vs BEV is state specific as well. For CA there is no difference but for my state AZ only EV are allowed in HOV lane (with single occupancy) as the HOV plates for plug-in hybrids ran out the max number. I had almost decided to get a fusion energi or sonata plug-in because these are mid-size cars that suits better for a family with 2 kids, but then I found that no HOV plates for them anymore in AZ. So in order to avoid traffic in my 45 mile one way commute to work, my only option is to get an alternate fuel car (bolt as tesla is expensive) to get access to HOV lane. Right now I am carpooling with office mate but that may not last long due to conflicting daily schedules/meetings. So it is a no brainier for me, I will be getting a EV instead of a plug-in hybrid!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts