Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hyundai is ramping up as a major player in the auto industry, right up there with the big dogs. Just one example of this step up is the upcoming Hynudai Ioniq, a new vehicle that will come with a fully-electric version as well as hybrid ones as well.

“Our vision for future mobility focuses on choice, with a variety of powertrain options to suit customers’ varied lifestyles, without compromising on design or driving enjoyment,” said Woong-Chul Yang, Head of Hyundai Motor R&D Center. “IONIQ embodies Hyundai Motor’s vision to shift the automotive paradigm and future mobility; IONIQ is the fruit of our efforts to become the leader in the global green car market.”
The Ioniq will debut in South Korea in January, and will tour to the 2016 auto shows in Geneva and New York as well.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/12/hyundai-ioniq-to-offer-three-electrified-powertrains.html

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm looking forward to this. Having seen where they were 20 years ago to now and how strong they're positioned on the market, this should be one of the really competitive EV's out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will this be their first EV? I wonder how their technology will compare to the competition. Considering how many of the major battery producing companies are based in Korea, I could see that country coming out with some of the best electric cars by drawing on the same talent.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Isn't the Chevy Bolt going to be revealed in January too? Not in the same country but it will be interesting to compare the two once we hear more about them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that Hyundai is rapidly becoming a much more competitive brand. Hyundai is making EVs and also a new luxury brand. I wonder what type of discussions the other brands have regarding these types of developments.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hyundai Releases Ioniq Teaser Images and Details

Hyundai has released two teaser images that give us the best look yet at what both the inside and outside of the Ioniq look like. The company also confirmed that the Ioniq will be the world's first vehicle to offer a choice of three electrified powertrains: full electric, plug-in hybrid or standard hybrid.

Pricing is unknown right now, but it is meant to compete with the Chevy Bolt, and it will debut in Geneva before appearing in North America at the New York Auto Show.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/12/hyundai-ioniq-teased-with-elantra-like-styling.html

·
Registered
639 Posts
When Hyundai comes out with more EV's, do you guy think we can expect to see names that are structured similar to 'Ioniq' ?

That does seem to be the norm within the industry.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Over a year later, still not delivered to customers in the U.S. (they *swear* it will be here any day!).

Ioniq (plug in) hybrid test drive :

Ioniq EV test drive :

·
Registered
862 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ioniq has a 0-60 mph time of 10+ seconds and a 124 mile range. Pass.

I'm sure the interior quality (and width) will put the Bolt to shame, but that's not enough.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It's not the same market, and it's definitely not the same price (as the Bolt). The Ioniq PHEV may become my "ICE" when my 20-year-old car dies. It provides 30+ miles on electric, then gas. 30 miles is enough for most of my days. I can take the "longer range" electric when driving 20-70 miles away, and the Ioniq when driving over 100 miles away. Sort of a win-win situation.

An electric range of 125 miles (range of the Ioniq EV) is enough for 95+ percent of the trips that me & the missus take. The EV has a MSRP of about $30K (before any rebates or tax credits). And their cost to lease will probably cost a lot less than the Bolt.

There's definitely a market for a 125-mile-range BEV, especially when it's about $7000 less than the Bolt (and with more upscale interior).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts