Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Oakville, ON, Canada trying to buy Bolt EV for last 2 weeks. Managed to see one, sold waiting to be picked up. I like it and want to buy it. But there are no cars in whole Ontario. Every single one shown in autotrader.ca site advertised but all of them sold. I called every dealership that advertised that they have such and such vehicle on the lot. Everybody said that car was sold and only thing they can do is to take order and let me wait. What kind of games are they playing advertising cars that they know are sold already?

Second thing. There were several dealers saying that they will get car in about 60 days and I was about to do it. Then cold shower comes, "biggest GM dealer" in Toronto says that they are all lying because they have people sitting in line for last 2-3 months and are to get their cars in June 2018! WTH?! Are Bolts made of gold or hand made?

Our company lease for Honda CRV is expiring in 1 month. I would wait reasonable time, up to maybe 2 months for the car but not longer. We are not buying car because we have all time in the world to wait for it. We are buying it because it is needed. So again, what are those dealers doing saying they can get vehicles knowing well they won't? One dealer said that they can't even call GM and get reasonable answer about delivery date. He said, order goes in order box (folder) and waits until GM fetches it and only then they may get faint idea when order will be fulfilled. So let's move to GM, it's all their fault.

For life of me I can't understand GM. They spent hundreds of millions developing Bolt. They have beaten Tesla to the punch and released a car 10 months before first regular buyer out of 450k people waiting will get model 3. And what is GM doing now? Sitting on their hands. Shut Bolt down production for this year and probably first 3 months of next year for reason I can not understand. Supposedly GM makes 27000 cars per day. One dealer told me that GM is losing money on Bolt and that is a reason why they won't built any any time soon. And that is a reason? Why did they make **** thing in the first place? They should of continue pumping out gas engine cars and leave EVs to others to make. Let's be honest, if there were Tesla 3's available and Bolt side by side nobody would even look at Bolt. For same money you get more and better car.

Bottom line is I am very mad at GM. My money stinks to them. They can make a car for me and other buyers in day or two but they don't want to! I am forced to go for my last resort and that is to lease a car I didn't even consider when all this started. I can get Toyota Corolla in 5 days in any version. I'll lease it for 24 months. It is less than 1/2 price than Bolt. In 2 years Tesla 3 will be sitting in front of dealerships ready to go as model "S" are now. Many of them. I saw them last Saturday. I'll pickup model 3 at that time.

So good bye GM. I hate position I am forced into but will do it that way.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Good for you! I wouldn't buy one either, if I was you. I hate it when I don't get my way
right NOW :laugh:

I only had to wait 2.5 months, so I know the 2 weeks must be killing you! Take a hike, TROLL

Tell mommy and daddy those mean people at the Bolt forum were very rude and how mad you are.
I don't think it's your money that stinks.......... Take a shower for Christ's sake!

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
There were several dealers saying that they will get car in about 60 days and I was about to do it. Then cold shower comes, "biggest GM dealer" in Toronto says that they are all lying because they have people sitting in line for last 2-3 months and are to get their cars in June 2018! WTH?!
I just ordered a Bolt here in Vancouver. I've heard the same thing, and when I went to the dealer to order he told me "6 months to a year". When I told him exactly what I wanted and that I'd put down a deposit he checked his computer system and came up with a car that the dealership had already ordered that matched my specs. The car is scheduled to be built during the week of October 30 and could be here in mid December.

So I'm not sure what's going on with the "6 months to a year" story. You'd think if they had unspoken-for orders they'd say something like "it might be 6 months to a year but it's possible we could do better" or some such to provide at least a word of encouragement. At any rate it seemed like when I indicated I was serious that's when I got the better news.

My suspicion is that the sales personnel don't sell enough Bolts to be instantly familiar with the status of all the orders the dealership has, so they trot out the standard line. They won't waste their time actually chasing one up for you unless they think you're really ready to pony up.

I've seen ads here and have even gone to look at a Bolt which had been ordered by a customer and then the customer backed out - so they do come up from time to time. I'd go around to the dealers, tell them you're serious and ready to put money down today, and ask them what's the best they can do for you. You might get an response that's a bit more to your liking.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I understand the frustration, but not the anger. If GM and the dealerships thought the Bolt would make them money, they would make it a priority to make them available. The fact is that the vehicle doesn't make them money, so it's not in their interest to produce them in large quantities.

Mostly it's a problem of bad timing. You need a vehicle now, and the one you want simply isn't available where you are.

The Corolla is a fine car, and it will probably save you money. In 2 years you'll have more options available.

As an aside, I'm on this forum because I was considering replacing my company car with a Bolt. Reluctantly I decided a conventional vehicle made the most sense for now, all things considered. I'm now waiting 3 months for the Mazda CX-5 to arrive.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll throw my 2 cents in here, having just gone through something similar to OP and to Sean.

My story - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I wanted to test drive a Bolt for an eventual (summer 2018) replacement of our oldest car (2006 Malibu). Was told, no chance to see one in the flesh unless a sold one was on the lot awaiting pickup, and no chance at all for a test drive until spring 2018. Was also told ~ 8 months to 10 for a new delivery. As it turns out, my car (a 2008 Vibe) was declared a total loss about 3 weeks later (we are all fine, but the car did its job and was ruined).

Anyways - I had taken a shot and established a rapport with the sales guy at my local dealer - asked that if he did have one sitting on the lot, let me know, because I would really like to see one in person and test out the seats (having heard about that issue). Around this same time, I heard (through this forum) that GM had released a few more units to the dealers in Canada (this was on the heels of the plant reopening), so I inquired and explained my situation. Guy checked, and sure enough, they had 2 allocations sitting unused. In the 15 minutes it took me to get to his email, one had sold, I grabbed the other. I was told December 2017 for delivery (and per my post yesterday, production is scheduled for next week, so I think I'm on track).

Where I'm going with this, is if you are serious about a Bolt (but it sounds like the experience you had soured your opinion - I can appreciate that), you need to get serious with a dealer - take the time to establish a relationship with the guy. That said, I get your concern - we are one car at the moment, and have been for a little over a month - it sucks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Totally get the frustration and how much this all stinks, but for us up here in low allocation Canada, it is the game we have to play.
Back in the beginning of July, I did the search, found nothing and learned about the 8 month average wait and put money on a spot in line to order a 2018. I was early in that line, so I figured I could get the car as early as January 2018, but knew it might stretch out to June 2018. In the meanwhile, I kept on top of any extra allotments or cancellations and one came up (in Ottawa; I'm in the GTA) a few weeks ago and I snagged it. It was ordered 6 months earlier and the buyer backed out last minute, so I could've picked up the car the day after I found out about it (but went to get it a week later). If you're serious about getting a Bolt, this is what we Canadian buyers have to go through, unfortunately.

·
Registered
592 Posts
On the speculation as to why there is a wait, there are a lot of reasons for why that could be. The main one is (I'd guess) just the regional priority. We've had tons here in California from the beginning, and for whatever historical reasons cars always start selling here first with lots of inventory. Then it fans out to the rest of the US. There are probably none in Mexico, and limited in Canada just due to their prioritization.

As to the build out speed, it's not due to any supposed profitability but more likely the potential carrying loss of having unsold inventory on their hands. Having a car sit on the lot costs money, ideally every one would be sold to an order. Anyhow GM marketing obviously thought Canada is a lower sales market than perhaps it's turning out to be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the speculation as to why there is a wait, there are a lot of reasons for why that could be. The main one is (I'd guess) just the regional priority. We've had tons here in California from the beginning, and for whatever historical reasons cars always start selling here first with lots of inventory. Then it fans out to the rest of the US. There are probably none in Mexico, and limited in Canada just due to their prioritization.

As to the build out speed, it's not due to any supposed profitability but more likely the potential carrying loss of having unsold inventory on their hands. Having a car sit on the lot costs money, ideally every one would be sold to an order. Anyhow GM marketing obviously thought Canada is a lower sales market than perhaps it's turning out to be.
Here in Ontario GM grossly underestimated demand based on the fact that the the entire 2017 Bolt allocation was sold out by March. I checked out at least 40 dealers in the Toronto area in April and they all said they been inundated with calls and visits from people trying to get their hands on Bolt. The reason is simple: a much lower MSRP than in the US, DC charge included, and a $14,000 instant government rebate available even on a 3 year lease. Only one dealer I visited had a Bolt in the showroom and he refused to sell it for even $5,000 over MSRP. He said having one bought a lot of traffic to his dealership. I spoke to several GM representatives and they acknowledged that GM had underestimated demand for Bolt and promised they were look at ways to address the problem. That was last May and now in October there are still no Bolts to be found except for the occasional cancelled order. Some dealers are promising a late 2018 delivery if you make a reservation now while others are saying they have already sold out of the 2018 Bolts. I expect they will soon be taking deposits on the 2019 Bolt.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
GM has surged ahead with a liquid cooled 60 kW battery pack, a low price, and a range that can be tweaked out toward 300 miles. But 30 other car manufacturers are not stupid. With a demand that pushes buyers to offer $4000 above MSRP, they will come out with a “better” product (a better mousetrap?), and soon. The quality/value of the Bolt is good, to be sure, but I would wager that other potential EV makers are reading this Forum intently, seeing the real world good, bad, nitpick, and the “wished they’d” comments and rushing to the drawing board. We are, in a sense, beta testers, and those who have to wait a bit will eventually (soon) drive a better EV.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Why did they make **** thing in the first place? They should of continue pumping out gas engine cars and leave EVs to others to make. Let's be honest, if there were Tesla 3's available and Bolt side by side nobody would even look at Bolt. For same money you get more and better car.

Bottom line is I am very mad at GM. My money stinks to them. They can make a car for me and other buyers in day or two but they don't want to! I am forced to go for my last resort and that is to lease a car I didn't even consider when all this started. I can get Toyota Corolla in 5 days in any version. I'll lease it for 24 months. It is less than 1/2 price than Bolt. In 2 years Tesla 3 will be sitting in front of dealerships ready to go as model "S" are now. Many of them. I saw them last Saturday. I'll pickup model 3 at that time.

So good bye GM. I hate position I am forced into but will do it that way.
lol ... mad about the car not being available immediately - compares to Tesla 3 which won't be out for the mass market for another year or two.

Compares Tesla 3 to Bolt, but Tesla 3 is vaporware at this point unless you're one of the lucky few who work for Tesla.

le Troll

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I think GM's handling of Bolt sales in foreign markets is pretty stupid. They look almost as lame as Tesla's Model 3 release. IMO, you're either selling a car, or your not. If you don't really want to sell to foreign markets yet, then don't. Tell those markets "Sorry, not now, maybe 2018, or '19", but don't tell them the car is available for sale and then don't deliver! That's just stupid. It looks really bad when everyone knows they are piled deep, unsold in California.

Personally what I think is going on is, GM wants to limit their losses by reducing production of the Bolt, but at the same time get as many as possible into California for the ZEV credits. These credits allow GM to sell trucks, SUVs, muscle cars, whatever in California (the most important car market in the US and indeed much of the world) as well as in 9 other eastern states that have adopted similar requirements as California. The rules don't require actual sales, just that the cars are produced and made available for sale. This explains the stock piles in California and not a more even distribution around the country and even around the world.

In short, sales of Bolts in the other 40 states as well as foreign countries buys GM nothing. If they are losing money on each Bolt sold and likely they are, the fewer they make the less the loss. The real problem is, the Bolt has not proven popular and if you can't sell them in California, then it's not likely they will do any better anywhere else. I'm sure GM would love to see Bolts flying off the lots and if they were, the losses per car would go down and they would feel more comfortable selling in other markets, but that's not the reality. The reality is, car has yet to catch on in significant numbers anywhere. Why this is, is beyond me.

Still, I think GM should have just been honest with the rest of the world and never promised that they would sell them elsewhere. Now they have some frustrated people making noise in Canada, Europe and Korea where GM has over promised and under delivered. It's great that GM is inspired to action by Tesla, but that is one Tesla trait they should not copy.

Here's a link to the crazy rules regarding ZEV credits.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Here in Ontario GM grossly underestimated demand based on the fact that the the entire 2017 Bolt allocation was sold out by March. I checked out at least 40 dealers in the Toronto area in April and they all said they been inundated with calls and visits from people trying to get their hands on Bolt. The reason is simple: a much lower MSRP than in the US, DC charge included, and a $14,000 instant government rebate available even on a 3 year lease. Only one dealer I visited had a Bolt in the showroom and he refused to sell it for even $5,000 over MSRP. He said having one bought a lot of traffic to his dealership. I spoke to several GM representatives and they acknowledged that GM had underestimated demand for Bolt and promised they were look at ways to address the problem. That was last May and now in October there are still no Bolts to be found except for the occasional cancelled order. Some dealers are promising a late 2018 delivery if you make a reservation now while others are saying they have already sold out of the 2018 Bolts. I expect they will soon be taking deposits on the 2019 Bolt.
And one other reason they may be more popular in Canada, your gas is more expensive. I just did a driving trip through Canada with my family (in a mini van, not Bolt) and the gas prices are significantly higher. Electric cars and hybrids always do better where gas is expensive. Suddenly a ridiculous, impractical car that just would never do, becomes just the ticket when gas prices go up! Funny how that works... :laugh:

·
Registered
770 Posts
... a $14,000 instant government rebate available even on a 3 year lease.
Can you or anyone please provide details on this rebate? Is it something related to taxes? Is it as simple as buy, or even lease a Bolt (or other EV I assume) and the government sends you a $14,000 check? Are there any other stipulations like keeping the car in Canada?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Can you or anyone please provide details on this rebate? Is it something related to taxes? Is it as simple as buy, or even lease a Bolt (or other EV I assume) and the government sends you a $14,000 check? Are there any other stipulations like keeping the car in Canada?
There is a couple page form you (or the salesman) fill out when you order the car and the dealer knocks the $14000 directly off the sale price (after tax). The dealership deals with getting the money back from the government. See the attached link. All EVs get a discount based on a few factors.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml

And to your second part, yes, the car needs to be registered in ON. Other provinces have other (smaller) incentives. I'm not sure of the finer details but the info page show this as a requirement:
"If you own the vehicle, you must keep it for 12 months from the date it is registered and plated; if you do not, you must return the incentive in full. If you lease your vehicle, you must maintain the lease for the term specified in the lease agreement and in no case can you lease the vehicle for less than 12 months."

I'm not sure how one would go about registering it in Ontario - plating it there, then going on an "extended road trip" to the states. I believe I had to prove Ontario residency on the submitted form also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As Jimmy stated, it is a provincial instant rebate. Ontario has the highest rebate (14k), followed I think by Quebec and BC. Found a source: (can't link yet)

plugndrive dot ca / electric-car-incentives

1 - 20 of 66 Posts