Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my 2009 Accord for 140,000 miles, I decided to get either a Tesla or a BMW i3. After obsessing over the cars for several weeks I decided to test drive them. Loved the Tesla and everything about it except for the price. It was a no go. The BMW was nice and I could get it cheaper than the Tesla due to a supplier discount. But I didn't excite me. So on the way home from the i3 test drive I stopped in my local Chevy dealer. After driving the Bolt and hearing the awesome deal they had on a 2019 Premier, $26.5k, I came home with it. No research or anything. One week in and I'm totally in love with this car. It's no Model 3 but it's freaking awesome.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Welcome to the club. We all love our cars. Love the all around vision with the Premier. I would love autopilot but +25k to have this was too much for me also. Have fun.

·
Registered
431 Posts
After driving my 2009 Accord for 140,000 miles, I decided to get either a Tesla or a BMW i3. After obsessing over the cars for several weeks I decided to test drive them. Loved the Tesla and everything about it except for the price. It was a no go. The BMW was nice and I could get it cheaper than the Tesla due to a supplier discount. But I didn't excite me. So on the way home from the i3 test drive I stopped in my local Chevy dealer. After driving the Bolt and hearing the awesome deal they had on a 2019 Premier, $26.5k, I came home with it. No research or anything. One week in and I'm totally in love with this car. It's no Model 3 but it's freaking awesome.
After 13 months I still enjoy driving my Bolt....... every time!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your good luck stopping by a Chevy dealer on the way home!

Just curious why the Bolt was not on your radar and in contention in the first place?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats a great price, I tried everything to get a good deal on the 2019 volt, even looking out of state and the closest I could get OTD with TTL was 33-35k, I opted to buy second hand at 28K. Congrats! Where did you buy it at?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I drove 170 miles to test drive the BMW i3 REX and measure the cargo space for my road bike (sans front wheel). When I saw the Bolt EV at the Dayton, OH auto show and measured it, the "floor space" was larger and the floor was flatter. The Bolt had much more range and the BMW materials seemed low quality. 29 months after my purchase, we still love our Bolt EV. We had a 650 mile trip this past weekend wherein we spent zero minutes charging that were not taken up with other needed activities (eating, sleeping, outlet mall shopping). We never had a buffer (estimated battery range miles minus distance-to-go miles) of less than 70 miles and often > 100 miles. We charged DCFC (DC Level 2) {twice}, AC Level 2 {twice} and AC Level 1 {once} during the 300 mile (each way) trip. The last (second) motel night we plugged in to an outside 120 VAC outlet and added 50 buffer miles to our first leg home. We never looked back. Viva la Bolt!

·
Registered
960 Posts
After driving the Bolt and hearing the awesome deal they had on a 2019 Premier, $26.5k, I came home with it. . . . it's freaking awesome.
Agree, it's awesome.

the closest I could get OTD with TTL was 33-35k,
X2 - Please clarify exactly how the $26.5k for a Premier comes about. A family member was shopping for a Bolt, trying to determine the net cost to him. He read all the posts in this thread and could find no consistency in how we report what a Bolt actually costs to get it home in the garage. In calculating the cost, some subtract the Federal Income Tax Credit, some subtract state credits and utility credits which don't apply to many here. Some don't include state sales tax, licenses and fees. In his state, no matter how he searched, he couldn't get below $30k in net dollars.

jack vines

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome and congratulations on your good luck stopping by a Chevy dealer on the way home!

Just curious why the Bolt was not on your radar and in contention in the first place?
That's the crazy part. Usually I'm extremely methodical when making a major purchase. When buying my wife's mini van a few years ago, we test drove 10 vehicles, got quotes from 3 different dealers and were 100% sure we explored all options before pulling the trigger. With this I was so fixated on the Model 3, I ignored all other options. When it finally dawned me that I couldn't afford the Model 3 I just wanted to test drive a Bolt. I am still shocked that I made an impulse decision like this.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a great price, I tried everything to get a good deal on the 2019 volt, even looking out of state and the closest I could get OTD with TTL was 33-35k, I opted to buy second hand at 28K. Congrats! Where did you buy it at?
Congrats on your car too. I bought it from Nucar in Delaware. And my price was net of a $3,500 rebate from the state.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove 170 miles to test drive the BMW i3 REX and measure the cargo space for my road bike (sans front wheel). When I saw the Bolt EV at the Dayton, OH auto show and measured it, the "floor space" was larger and the floor was flatter. The Bolt had much more range and the BMW materials seemed low quality. 29 months after my purchase, we still love our Bolt EV. We had a 650 mile trip this past weekend wherein we spent zero minutes charging that were not taken up with other needed activities (eating, sleeping, outlet mall shopping). We never had a buffer (estimated battery range miles minus distance-to-go miles) of less than 70 miles and often > 100 miles. We charged DCFC (DC Level 2) {twice}, AC Level 2 {twice} and AC Level 1 {once} during the 300 mile (each way) trip. The last (second) motel night we plugged in to an outside 120 VAC outlet and added 50 buffer miles to our first leg home. We never looked back. Viva la Bolt!
That's awesome. I'm still dealing with range anxiety a little bit. Maybe next summer I'll be brave enough to try something like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree, it's awesome.

X2 - Please clarify exactly how the $26.5k for a Premier comes about. A family member was shopping for a Bolt, trying to determine the net cost to him. He read all the posts in this thread and could find no consistency in how we report what a Bolt actually costs to get it home in the garage. In calculating the cost, some subtract the Federal Income Tax Credit, some subtract state credits and utility credits which don't apply to many here. Some don't include state sales tax, licenses and fees. In his state, no matter how he searched, he couldn't get below $30k in net dollars.

jack vines
Good point. My 26.5 was net of a 3.5 rebate from Delaware so I guess the actual cost of the vehicle was 30.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts