Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leased a 2017 Bolt Premier for my wife in Sep '17 (36 months, $395 a month including all taxes, zero down). We have 12 months left on this lease, and my wife has LOVED the car so far. I see some pretty crazy deals right now to purchase a 2019 Bolt, and am tempted to just buy one outright this month, even though our other one doesn't go back for a year. I realize this makes little sense, other than the fact that I know my wife would be happy driving a Bolt for many years to come, and at the current prices, we could easily afford to just buy one outright.

I've been working with my local dealers who still have a few Bolt Premiers in stock, and I find that after all rebates and price reductions, I can purchase a new 2019 Premier for right at $28k cash (MSRP of $44k). With the $3,750 tax credit, that would make the car cost just over $24k -- or around $20k off sticker price. This to me is an insanely good deal.

So for those "in the know" about the future of EVs, am I missing something here? Are these deals likely to still be available next September when our current Bolt is due to go back? I really don't need a second Bolt for any reason right now, and the only reason to do this is if these are 1-time deals unlikely to be repeated next year...

I'm interested in thoughts from this forum on this situation. Also, I would happily consider sub-leasing my 2017 Bolt at a big discount to anyone who wants to try one for 12 months... Not sure the best way to do this though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
..........Are these deals likely to still be available next September when our current Bolt is due to go back? .....
Well, I'd need a crystal ball to know the answer to that question. Having said that, the prices you are quoting are really good. I paid around $42K, and subtract $9K in state and federal rebates/tax benefits and I thought I was doing pretty good!

My instinct is, if you can go for the 2019, and you mention that you can, well, go for it!

Rich

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pure speculation, but my views are that we are seeing the new norm for the Bolt pricing. With the loss of the max federal tax rebate, they had to move their prices down and they still weren't exactly selling like hotcakes.
$25k seems about right to me for these vehicles in the current market and with many more EV options coming in the next 2 years (with a full federal tax rebate), I just can't see Chevrolet being able to go back and selling these at $35k+ any more. For that money, most would buy a Tesla and get their charging infrastructure (and they did when the model 3 came out!).

To compete, Chevy has to be better priced in the current climate and the current pricing feels right to me; I expect it to continue. I just can't see it going back up, except maybe for a short time when the 2020's come out and Chevy bean counters think maybe the new model will garner premium pricing until they realize quickly that it wont.

Disclaimer: i just bought my 2019 Bolt LT at these prices so obviously i thought it was a deal, but i didnt have another sitting around and would've waited until next year if I did ;); but if you're going to do it and you can qualify for the full $3,750 tax rebate, this would be the month I guess.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The reason prices are so low right now is the 2020 Bolt with higher capacity battery / longer range was announced, and they (correctly) assume that they will have trouble getting ride of the 2019's that they have left in stock. So, no... unless there are still 2019's sitting around next September, the prices will not be as good a year from now.

Keith

·
Registered
151 Posts
Expect any remaining 2019 to go on super clearance once the 2020 show up. If there are any left over in December, expect Chevy to basically give them away. Getting it now means more choices to getting the color and features you like.

Also, for future models, expect increased factory or dealer incentives to offset reduced Federal Tax Credit... that was Chevy's strategy instead of adjusting MSRP. Remember, Chevy has to sell X number of Bolts in order to continue selling their gas guzzlers. Otherwise, they'd be buying credits from Tesla or maybe soon from VW... https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2017/09/01/teslas-lucrative-zev-credits-may-not-be-sustainable/#247c05366ed5

·
Registered
918 Posts
A family member has been slow to come around to GM and the Bolt, but the current pricing plus the Apple Play compatibility plus front wheel drive seem to be the deciding factors.

jack vines

·
Registered
498 Posts
There are a lot of EV's hitting the market over the next couple of years ...... if not the Bolt when your lease is up, you will find something else.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought I got a good deal on a Bolt last September, but then prices dropped further. Same thing may happen again as the 2020 models near release. Plus there are supposed to be quite a few new models coming out next year from a number of manufacturers. If I were in your situation I might sit tight and see what comes out next year, thinking I'll be disappointed if I buy now and see the newer models with more range, maybe more driver assist features as standard... But a bird in the hand...especially if your wife doesn't pay much attention to new cars, is very happy with the Bolt, and most of her driving is within 100 miles or so of home.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In Houston Texas, you can get a new bolt with $12k off, making the base model with DC fast charging $26.5k. With the federal rebate ($3750) and the state rebate ($2500) you get to $20.25k. This is the advertised price, so probably can negotiate another $500+ off this price.

Cheers,

Timo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
10 Participants
Timo007
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing