Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm;jsessionid=632D3CEAFDCF66AFBB813FA909405B84.p3plqscsfapp005

this is an adapter which let's _ANY_ J-1772 car use a Tesla AC charger (Like the Bolt) - either Tesla Wall Connectors or Tesla UMC's - this means in addition to public J-1772 chargers if you have one of these bad boy's in your car you can use a Tesla AC charger to charge your bolt.

I've had one for 4 weeks now and I've used it every night to charge my Bolt - it works great!

there are many many many Tesla chargers at hotels all over the US because Tesla will give an charger to Hotels and other destination points for free if the location agrees to install it and make it available!

Most Tesla destination chargers are 40 amps or better - so the Bolt will be able to charge at the full 32 AMP rate!

https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging
https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.39?search=destination charger&name=usa

and NO - you will NOT be able to use Tesla's supercharging network with this adapter - it's purely for AC charging use.

combine this with a Tesla UMC - and you can carry this adapter, the Tesla UMC in your car and use either J-1772 chargers - or plug the Tesla UMC into any 110/220 volt plug and charge the Bolt from those as well.

Charge from J-1772 public chargers - check!
Charge from existing Tesla semi-public chargers (destination chargers) - check!
Charge from any 120/240 volt plug using the highly portal Tesla UMC - check!

NOTES: Tesla's AC charging is really just J-1772 with a different connector - the adapter isn't doing anything special - it's just a mechanical exercise in transforming a proprietary physical connector to the J-1772 standard - that's why it works and should be reliable - there is no "conversion" taking place at the electrical/protocol level - it's just a physical conversion. I personally think it's too much money - and should be cheaper IMHO - but it's very very useful

·
Registered
624 Posts
how does charging from a tesla charger work, if you don't have a tesla? do you need an account of some type? pay with a credit card? can you only use the free destination chargers you mentioned?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
how does charging from a tesla charger work, if you don't have a tesla? do you need an account of some type? pay with a credit card? can you only use the free destination chargers you mentioned?
there are two types of Tesla Chargers:

1. Superchargers which are 400v/400 amp DC Fast chargers - these are commercial installations typically at strip malls and road side stops - where you stop and charge for 20-60 minutes to continue your road trip. These chargers required supercharger hardware installed in the car -and Tesla has to "activate" your car and it's a controlled system.

2. Destination Chargers - which are simply Tesla home chargers that Tesla has either provided "outright" to various businesses or heavily subsidized the installation. These chargers are hosted by various business for their EV customers and there is no activation control or system in place to control charging. These are known as Tesla HPWC (High Powered Wall Connectors) and they are typically anywhere from 20-80 amps of charge rate depending on the installation. The only thing keeping other cars from using these chargers to date has been the different connector type that Tesla uses. Use of these chargers would be "policy" based controlled by the owner of the chargers. To date I've found most businesses consider an EV an EV - and are willing to let any EV use their charging infrastructure if it will work - YMMV.

The adapter being discussed in this thread will allow _ANY_ J-1772 compatible car (like the Bolt, Leaf, eGolf, Volt, etc…) use a Tesla Destination charger. It will _NOT_ work for a Tesla Supercharger.

The Tesla home chargers are actually J-1772 chargers in terms of electrical connections and signaling protocols - it's just a different connector shape - the adapter in question is a simple physical adapter that converts a Tesla Plug-to a J-1772 connector shape. Once you have the physical transformation the actually charging protocol works just fine.

There is no activation or credit card required to use a Tesla charger - but typically you have to be a customer of the business in question. Example: I used the Tesla charger at a Hotel where I was staying to charge my Bolt in Pismo beach on a recent road trip. There was no problem, and the business since I was a customer was happy to let me use the charger, they didn't care once I showed them the adapter would work. It in fact let them optimize their charging in all of their J-1772 spots were occupied (2 leafs) and there 4 Tesla chargers were under utilized - my Bolt got to park in one of the Tesla spots since it could charge using a Tesla charger.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Supercharging is tracked via your Car's VIN or some other ID - all Tesla's are tied to an online account via the "mytesla.tesla.com" website (the remote app is this same ID) - and if Supercharging billing is needed - Supercharging is billed via a credit card associated with your online account - no "at the pump" credit card is required. You plug in your car and it's either authorized or not authorized before the Supercharging starts.

Bill todate is only 1 of 2 types

1. idle fees - Tesla charges idle fee's for you to be plugged in and not charging while supercharging if all the other SC stalls are "in use"
2. actual per kWh fees - yet to be disclosed for upcoming Model 3 users…(Model S/X customers have included supercharging as part of their purchase of the car).

Destination charging which is _NOT_ the same as supercharging is normally included if you are a customer of the associated business - or a small fee determined by the owners of the destination charger. I've used a number of destination chargers on the west coast and never been charged an explicit fee - although some have verified I was a customer of theirs. Tesla has no way to bill or track destination charging.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for your experienced input Mr O'Rourke

I have followed your advice on EVSE units, and adapters. It has served me well. I considered one of these units, but your analysis on Tesla destination chargers has convinced me to buy one now. The provided listing of wineries and hotels included a dozen or so places I have visited. Also recent trips to Palo Alto, with destination charger, and Sacramento, without destination charger, have hammered the point home. Thanks for sharing your experience and advice. It is appreciated,

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Richard - thank you - my honest goal is just to share insights/opinions - it gratifies me greatly that my advise is working for you - take care and happy charging!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
http://shop.quickchargepower.com/JDapter-Stub-Tesla-Charge-Station-Adaptor-JDPTRSTB.htm;jsessionid=632D3CEAFDCF66AFBB813FA909405B84.p3plqscsfapp005

this is an adapter which let's _ANY_ J-1772 car use a Tesla AC charger (Like the Bolt) - either Tesla Wall Connectors or Tesla UMC's - this means in addition to public J-1772 chargers if you have one of these bad boy's in your car you can use a Tesla AC charger to charge your bolt.

I've had one for 4 weeks now and I've used it every night to charge my Bolt - it works great!

.....l
Hi David, I got one of these adapters on Ebay today for $250 plus shipping (not the list of $400). Family is driving up to Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park later this week. Will post my experience - not many charging stations on the coast of Maine and so thought it prudent to get this.

In the long run this should be great since so many businesses have Tesla destination chargers. I have a parking garage in downtown Boston (not a lovely commute) that is going to install Tesla EVSEs but I doubt J-1772s, at least for the moment. Thank you for posting this and alerting the community to this possibility!

Best Wishes Thor'sBolt

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi David, I got one of these adapters on Ebay today for $250 plus shipping (not the list of $400). Family is driving up to Bar Harbor / Acadia National Park later this week. Will post my experience - not many charging stations on the coast of Maine and so thought it prudent to get this.

In the long run this should be great since so many businesses have Tesla destination chargers. I have a parking garage in downtown Boston (not a lovely commute) that is going to install Tesla EVSEs but I doubt J-1772s, at least for the moment. Thank you for posting this and alerting the community to this possibility!

Best Wishes Thor'sBolt
do you have a link to the eBay auction?

it would be great to update this thread - I never endorsed the price - just the functionality!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ebay auction for Tesla -> J-1772 adapter

do you have a link to the eBay auction?

it would be great to update this thread - I never endorsed the price - just the functionality!
Here is the auction page that I bought from yesterday: there were 9 when I bought, and I see they are down to 3 as I post now (8:08 am EST). My guess is someone else has been reading this thread and bought!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322658340623

For anyone lurking the site, here is an example of how this might be useful: Where I am going in Maine, there is 1 J-1772 and 2 Tesla destination EVSEs (total of 3). If the J-1772 is taken I would have been out of luck.... but now my universe of EVSEs is 3!

Again, will post my experience after the trip...

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
1 - 20 of 138 Posts