Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Will GM raise the price when the tax credit returns? That's a big reason (the lack thereof) that they dropped the price so substantially. If the 2024 Equinox EV starting price stays at $30K and it qualifies for a $7,500 credit, the waiting list will immediately stretch into the 2027 model year. Edit: I'll be on it!
I’m 95% confident the Equinox will start at $37,500. Chevy announced the $30k MSRP before knowing they’d be eligible again for the tax credit. To the buyer, it’s the same net cost but to GM, that’s a lot of extra profit. Also with the Blazer starting at $45k, a $7,500 gap makes more sense than a $15k gap between them.

This also leaves room in the $30k price point for the Bolt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah we sold our 2019 Subaru Forester in July for more than we bought it for almost 4 years ago, and will still end up with $1300 in our pocket after buying our Bolt without the tax credit. So I’m already happy to end up with a brand new car without spending more money. And since we sold it the day after ordering the Bolt to lock in that value, we don’t want to wait longer than we need to with the car we have left, especially as it’s averaging 18 mpg.
We have a 2019 Forester. May I ask what you got for it? We also considering a Bolt.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We have a 2019 Forester. May I ask what you got for it? We also considering a Bolt.
We sold it for $28,700. It was a Sport trim. Vroom offered $28,630 and we got a local dealer to round up. The KBB trade-in value has decreased by over $1000 since we sold so the market might be starting to cool already.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ultimately it’s up to you if you’re willing to wait. I don’t see a scenario where you’ll end up paying more out of pocket in 2023 than you would in 2022. But it’s possible you don’t end up saving anything if there’s a price increase. Also if you’re planning to sell or trade in a car, those values are only going to decrease.

So if you don’t need a car soon and you don’t have a car you’re planning to sell, it’s probably best to wait. There just might be a lot of other Bolt buyers also trying to do the same thing. So a 8-12 week wait may turn into a 6+ month wait for your order.

All that being said, I’m keeping my order which is set to be produced Aug 8. I’m very excited to have my Bolt and don’t want to wait.
Can I ask when you placed your order?

·
Registered
271 Posts
First of all, that bill hasn't passed the House yet, much less the Senate. Assuming that all Republicans vote against it - as they are want to do for almost any bill - that bill could be killed by any single Democratic senator (like Sinema) or might be disallowed as a reconciliation bill by the senate parliamentarian.

Secondly, there is a price limit beyond which the tax credit or rebate (not clear which will be in the final bill) does not apply.

Thirdly, there is an income limit (not specified yet) beyond which you will not qualify for the rebate/credit.

I am concerned because I ordered a VW ID.4 last November which should have been delivered already but doesn't look like it's coming this calendar year. Under the current law, I would qualify for the $7500 tax credit. Under the new law (if passed), I might not qualify, depending on where that income limit is drawn. Moreover, my state tax credit drops from $2500 to $2000 after January 1. If I end up not qualifying for the credit/rebate, I'll cancel the VW order because it would no longer make economic sense.

It's very disruptive for Congress to keep jerking around EV buyers with these on-again, off-again tax incentives which are quite large and disrupting ordinary market forces. The original limitation of 200,000 units sold was a bad policy because it penalized companies that were early in the game. Having a set time limit would have been a better policy as it would have encouraged manufacturers to get into the game early. Allowing PHEVs with any battery size to count against the 200,000 limit was another huge mistake as Nissan is already near its limit without having delivered any significant number of BEVs.

Passing this law a year ago would have been a lot less disruptive because only GM and Tesla had reached the original 200,000 limit. Passing this law now, very late in the calendar year when people already have deposits on vehicles which now may or may not qualify for expected tax breaks is just bad policy. Thank you Senator "delay until I get a tax break for my pipeline" Manchin.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
2,686 Posts
First of all, that bill hasn't passed the House yet, much less the Senate. Assuming that all Republicans vote against it - as they are want to do for almost any bill - that bill could be killed by any single Democratic senator (like Sinema) or might be disallowed as a reconciliation bill by the senate parliamentarian.

Secondly, there is a price limit beyond which the tax credit or rebate (not clear which will be in the final bill) does not apply.

Thirdly, there is an income limit (not specified yet) beyond which you will not qualify for the rebate/credit.

I am concerned because I ordered a VW ID.4 last November which should have been delivered already but doesn't look like it's coming this calendar year. Under the current law, I would qualify for the $7500 tax credit. Under the new law (if passed), I might not qualify, depending on where that income limit is drawn. Moreover, my state tax credit drops from $2500 to $2000 after January 1. If I end up not qualifying for the credit/rebate, I'll cancel the VW order because it would no longer make economic sense.

It's very disruptive for Congress to keep jerking around EV buyers with these on-again, off-again tax incentives which are quite large and disrupting ordinary market forces. The original limitation of 200,000 units sold was a bad policy because it penalized companies that were early in the game. Having a set time limit would have been a better policy as it would have encouraged manufacturers to get into the game early. Allowing PHEVs with any battery size to count against the 200,000 limit was another huge mistake as Nissan is already near its limit without having delivered any significant number of BEVs.

Passing this law a year ago would have been a lot less disruptive because only GM and Tesla had reached the original 200,000 limit. Passing this law now, very late in the calendar year when people already have deposits on vehicles which now may or may not qualify for expected tax breaks is just bad policy. Thank you Senator "delay until I get a tax break for my pipeline" Manchin.
Sinema agreed btw. As I said before she doesn't have enough power to stand against this and get re-elected without Manchin. WV is red, AZ is purple state with closed primaries. It all comes down to re-election in the end.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT, 2021 Kona EV SEL
2,686 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Greetings! Lots of uncertainty about specific language related to EV tax benefits. The attachment shows the differences between the House and Senate versions of the Bill. Perhaps some legal/tax experts can help interpret what the implications are.
This document shows the differences between the Inflation Reduction Act and Build Back Better. There is no House version yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The credit applies to North America manufactured cars only and battery has to be made in US as well and limitations on Chinese materials. This is why 70% of EVs won’t qualify. Equinox is made in Mexico isn’t it? Bolt EUV batteries are made in Korea. Won’t qualify. Ultium battery is made in tbe US but components and materials are probably from China. Not sure that would qualify either. Heck Tesla new model
Y uses CATL and would have range of about 1000km. It won’t qualify either as CATL is Chinese manufacture. Basically they pass a bill jnowing it won’t cost a lot of money as most ev wouldn’t qualify.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think bolt batteries might qualify for the rebate. I believe LG batteries are produced in Michigan and the minerals are likely to be processed in Korea, which is a free trade country.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think bolt batteries might qualify for the rebate. I believe LG batteries are produced in Michigan and the minerals are likely to be processed in Korea, which is a free trade country.
No, the sticker literally says the battery and drive trains are made in Korea and minerals is almost 100% certain to be from China. In fact, none of the current EV qualifies.

·
Registered
65 Posts
No, the sticker literally says the battery and drive trains are made in Korea..
Actually, it doesn't. The window sticker makes no mention of the battery. It reads,

"For vehicles in this carline:
  • US/Canadian parts content 63%
  • Major sources of foreign parts content: Korea 15%"

"Country of Origin:
  • Engine (Motor) United States
  • Transmission (Electric Drive Unit): Korea"

·
Registered
23 Posts
The target production week came from my dealer and also was confirmed by the online chat.
My order was June 29th and the dealer was told to expect our build date to be August 1. At this point we expect to have a vin number soon. My guess is that this car will arrive well before January 1st. Hopefully they make some small changes in reconciliation that deals with this... but otherwise I think we would still take the car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My order was June 29th and the dealer was told to expect our build date to be August 1. At this point we expect to have a vin number soon. My guess is that this car will arrive well before January 1st. Hopefully they make some small changes in reconciliation that deals with this... but otherwise I think we would still take the car.
I ordered an EUV on 6/16. There was never any indication that production started, but two days ago found that the vehicle was completed and yesterday a VIN was provided.

101 - 120 of 137 Posts