Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 LT that I purchased back in June.

How do I precondition it? Can I use the FOB (3rd button down with a little rotation arrow on it)? Or is this through the myChevrolet app (where I don't see any info about preconditioning or remote starting)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Bolt Premier - Kinetic Blue Metallic
101 Posts
I have a 2017 LT that I purchased back in June.

How do I precondition it? Can I use the FOB (3rd button down with a little rotation arrow on it)? Or is this through the myChevrolet app (where I don't see any info about preconditioning or remote starting)?

Thanks!
Both.

On the myChevy app, it is just the big middle circular button with the power symbol. Hold that and it will start.

To pre-condition on the key fob, press the lock button and then hold down the remote start button (rotating arrow) for 2-3 seconds. It will start then.

As far as I know, the Bolt will adjust the temperature/pre-condition settings based on the outdoor temperature and climate control settings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see a big middle circular button on the app.

When I open it, there's a horizontal box that reads "Vehicle Status" and then an oval box that reads "Get Connected". I've tried all screens. Nothing...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Font Gadget Screenshot Electric blue Circle

It sounds like you're not connected with your Bolt. The above picture is what it looks like when you are.

Setup Video

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like to connect to the Bolt, I need to go through OnStar and that means creating an account and paying for their services (not happening). They said that this connection to the myChevrolet app used to be part of the basic service, but is no longer. Lame.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks like to connect to the Bolt, I need to go through OnStar and that means creating an account and paying for their services (not happening). They said that this connection to the myChevrolet app used to be part of the basic service, but is no longer. Lame.
Yeah, they used to give a couple years free of Connected Services, but to me I think it was only 3 months after my purchase (new). I pay for it because starting my car up using my key fob doesn't always work from my apartment or my office and the ability to access my charge status and get SMS notifications is very convenient. To each their own.

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
263 Posts
When I bought my bolt off the showroom floor back in May, they told me I had one month of free onstar , their policy had really changed
When I bought my. New Chevy Volt back in 2015 I had 5 years of free onstar

·
Registered
'17 Bolt Premier
37 Posts
The original owner got 5 years of the Onstar "EV Mobile Command" package for free. I successfully got that transferred to me when I bought my '17. I did not have to give my credit card, but I did have to set up the account by hitting the onstar button. Per these message boards, some people had to argue and try calling multiple times. I did not. The EV mobile command package is not really mentioned on official websites, and of course GM wants the extra money if you buy one of the expensive packages they sell, so they don't tell you about this.

The real question is what happens after the 5 years is up? Do we need to twist GM's arm to give us the Onstar monitoring features for free, so that we can at least monitor the battery and charging? I'm hoping that one of the lawsuits will address it.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
97 Posts
When I bought my bolt off the showroom floor back in May, they told me I had one month of free onstar , their policy had really changed
When I bought my. New Chevy Volt back in 2015 I had 5 years of free onstar
Same here.
Except bought 2021 4 days before latest recall

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Both.
As far as I know, the Bolt will adjust the temperature/pre-condition settings based on the outdoor temperature and climate control settings.
IFIRC, the climate adjustments are NOT based on anything other than what the settings were when you turned the EV off. If on "AUTO", the A/C or heater may activate depending on which is needed to achieve the pre-set temperature. (e.g. no defrost unless set prior to leaving the EV.)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think as a 2nd owner you can still do the remote start using the app using “keypass” (Bluetooth connection, IIRC) when you are within a certain range of the car. For example, I use the app from my house because the fob doesn’t go thru the wall of the detached garage as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't want OnStar but the key fob works fine from my house to my attached garage. I can look out the window and see that the Bolt's lights have come on, just to confirm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts